Tony Mestrov, new CEO

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He’s been there what, 2 months now?? The hottest sporting seat in the country on the back of one of the biggest stories in the history of Australian Sport, surely he deserves at least 6 months to try and fix what’s going on there???

What do you think of Tony hiring Laurie Daly as a coaching consultant?
WTF does Loz know about NRL coaching and structures?

He is leaking this crap out to the media?
Why??

Why??

Mate, isn't this though a positive thing? It's not taking anyone's role. It's an extra resource, with extra contacts. He's well regarded and respected around the league. Why NOT add additional assets to the club?

Are people really complaining about an extra resource that may add value. Even if it adds NO value (extremely unlikely), what's the loss?

Shows we are looking to strengthen and consolidate the club mate. Surely you can't be upset about that?

Why??

I don't think he will be given the keys to the safe ... I just think his involvement with the playing roster will be to attract some top players that he has built relationships with from SOO ...

It's hardly a leak ... it is simply an announcement of personel recruitment ...

I don't think he will be given the keys to the safe ... I just think his involvement with the playing roster will be to attract some top players that he has built relationships with from SOO ...

Hello NRL world, here is a solid reminder we are still in the active market for quality players, and this move shows we are seriously invested in that.

Can't lose with an appointment like this. Shows we have planning.

Has Laurie actually signed as a consultant to Manly?

If not, it's a media leak

Has Laurie actually signed as a consultant to Manly?

If not, it's a media leak

Mate seriously ... it is only a leak if it is something inhouse and secret .... it is a part time gig .. no secret, no leak .. just an announcement ..

And no he hasn't signed yet, because he needs approval from the NRL to join a club ... I would think that the announcement was a flag raising to test the NRL's response ...

Why??

Sounds like a discussion, not a hiring, at this point. But if it does turn into a hiring, who wouldn't want an extra resource like this?? A big name like Daley would surely be seen as a positive for other people potentially joining the club, whether that be in a player or coaching role, wouldn't it??

Mate seriously ... it is only a leak if it is something inhouse and secret .... it is a part time gig .. no secret, no leak .. just an announcement ..

And no he hasn't signed yet, because he needs approval from the NRL to join a club ... I would think that the announcement was a flag raising to test the NRL's response ...

He also works for a rival betting firm. Plenty of if's and but's to go through first. .
What does Loz know about junior pathways and roster management?

Or are we now as pathetic as the Tigers where we need to leak everything to the media before we have done our due diligence and signed the guy?

It is being leaked to try and push Des out faster, not because the public and media need to know.

Sounds like a discussion, not a hiring, at this point. But if it does turn into a hiring, who wouldn't want an extra resource like this?? A big name like Daley would surely be seen as a positive for other people potentially joining the club, whether that be in a player or coaching role, wouldn't it??

Why is it out in the public arena? It should be a confidential hiring motion until he is signed.

And, what experience does Loz have at junior pathways and roster management?

All part of the narrative to force out Des

Isz that is spot on.

I find it interesting that many contributors on this forum who attribute an agenda/narrative that Tony Mestrov was appointed as CEO to function as [the] Penns' mercenary, to fulfill a pre-determined agenda set by the Penn family.

I have made my feelings quite clear on “The Yank” and his family along with his true “lapdog” in my posts throughout the year, unfortunately, there is a CLEAR agenda here, the Penn family DO NOT wish to continue with Des HOWEVER it is not solely on their shoulders.

There are more parties agitating for Des to walk and those parties are privately playing both sides of the field, leaving the agenda to be set as a "Penn v Hasler" brief whilst they too do not wish for him to continue.

Ironically, the same executive (or a majority that have remained) were instrumental in his return and now are trying to remain silent as if it avails each of them of "any blame" in this matter.

A matter/narrative which intrigues me are the many posts and articles written stating that Des “did not know” about the “jersey” and that the “football department” were the only people aware of the jersey and he was not aware that it was going to be used during the women in league round.

I find it quite interesting that neither Des or his supporters in the media have ensured a consistent version of events where they have not alluded to or made ANY reference to whether Des “did not know “ about the jersey being used during the women in league round; surely those who are backing Des to commence legal action against the Club would be projecting this to all and sundry.

For what it is worth, I believe that Tony is doing an excellent job so-far, he stood up to a certain player manager and that “agenda” peddled by the media has conveniently dropped away (as he is not a "rent-a-quote" CEO) and he is also engrossed in a review of the existing middle-tier management team amongst other more, mundane matters.

Isz that is spot on.

I find it interesting that many contributors on this forum who attribute an agenda/narrative that Tony Mestrov was appointed as CEO to function as [the] Penns' mercenary, to fulfill a pre-determined agenda set by the Penn family.

I have made my feelings quite clear on “The Yank” and his family along with his true “lapdog” in my posts throughout the year, unfortunately, there is a CLEAR agenda here, the Penn family DO NOT wish to continue with Des HOWEVER it is not solely on their shoulders.

There are more parties agitating for Des to walk and those parties are privately playing both sides of the field, leaving the agenda to be set as a "Penn v Hasler" brief whilst they too do not wish for him to continue.

Ironically, the same executive (or a majority that have remained) were instrumental in his return and now are trying to remain silent as if it avails each of them of "any blame" in this matter.

A matter/narrative which intrigues me are the many posts and articles written stating that Des “did not know” about the “jersey” and that the “football department” were the only people aware of the jersey and he was not aware that it was going to be used during the women in league round.

I find it quite interesting that neither Des or his supporters in the media have ensured a consistent version of events where they have not alluded to or made ANY reference to whether Des “did not know “ about the jersey being used during the women in league round; surely those who are backing Des to commence legal action against the Club would be projecting this to all and sundry.

For what it is worth, I believe that Tony is doing an excellent job so-far, he stood up to a certain player manager and that “agenda” peddled by the media has conveniently dropped away (as he is not a "rent-a-quote" CEO) and he is also engrossed in a review of the existing middle-tier management team amongst other more, mundane matters.

To clarify your point, @AndWeDon'tCare on Mestrov standing up to "a certain player-manager." Is this point related explicitly to releases that Tartak asked for, for some of his clients? Do you know precisely how many asked for releases?

I don't accept that Mestrov would be particularly happy with his performance so far, considering the multi-faceted challenges that have arisen and the agitation by a number of the parties that you speak of, notwithstanding the fact that he has had to operate in a highly chaotic environment.

I also don't believe Mestrov would have accepted this job if it was only to act as a functionary for Penn. However, at this stage, it also looks like he doesn't have the power and authority to act as independently as I thought he would in reshaping internal dynamics? Is this related to limitations in his contract, or is it based on the time and energy he is putting into suppressing internal machinations and limiting leaks from and through, the very executives you speak about? Further to that does Bonasera stay in place at MWSE, or do we seem him being moved on as well?

Last edited:
To clarify your point, @AndWeDon'tCare on Mestrov standing up to "a certain player-manager." Is this point related explicitly to releases that Tartak asked for, for some of his clients? Do you know precisely how many asked for releases?

I don't accept that Mestrov would be particularly happy with his performance so far, considering the multi-faceted challenges that have arisen and the agitation by a number of the parties that you speak of, notwithstanding the fact that he has had to operate in a highly chaotic environment.

I also don't believe Mestrov would have accepted this job if it was only to act as a functionary for Penn. However, at this stage, it also looks like he doesn't have the power and authority to act as independently as I thought he would in reshaping internal dynamics? Is this related to limitations in his contract, or is it based on the time and energy he is putting into suppressing internal machinations and limiting leaks from and through, the very executives you speak about? Further to that does Bonasera stay in place at MWSE, or do we seem him being moved on as well?

Good evening E4L,

I am not adept at cutting out each paragraph and replying underneath your reply, so I will respond in paragraph order, if that makes sense.

1. Yes to both questions however, I am unable to elaborate any further on this point.

2. I do not disagree with your comment at all as I doubt he would be "doing cartwheels" around the office however I do believe he is mature enough to understand that (and as you have alluded too) the challenges that he now faces may be somewhat more taxing than those he was initially expecting. I believe that his engagement with all parties within this unpredictable organisation has been both measured and robust when required.

3. All I will say in response to this paragraph is in my earlier post I was referring to comments both on the forum and outside the forum where people believe that Tony is acting as a functionary for Penn (well said!). This morning on SEN1170 (Sydney) Andrew Webster, a journalist who I have an immense amount of time for echoed your exact same thoughts which I thought was refreshing to hear.

He is working quite hard on establishing a culture which, to be frank, is the very antithesis of past Manly board and management teams and your comment about the time and energy on this front is well noted and observed.

I am not au fait with what is happening or likely to happen with John Bonasera so I can not provide any useful thoughts on that particular subject.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8