Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Was he threatened with deregistration or is he deregistered?  If he's not deregistered surely to stop him from pursuing employment is a restraint of trade.  If the Roosters are chasing his signature, then I can't see why we shouldn't too, if we've got the coin.  If we don't want him, fair enough,  we should develop our own Ox replacement rather than buy a Dorn clone like Pearce.  Another question;  Will the Ox play on into 2010 and on?  Anybody know his future plans?   

Canteen Worker link said:
Wasn't Carney threatened with deregistration though as he brought the whole game of Rugby League into dispute as well as his individual club. I am sure that he was told he had to have a year off over here. That's why he took his trip to Africa, to change his image and show signs of concern for others. I can't see how the League can change their mind, if I am correct in what their position was.

CW interesting you mention Carney working in Africa on the Hope in Rwanda project rebuilding new houses and well done to them all for that. along with the likes of Nathan Hindmarsh, Jared Hargreaves, and Co.

I was listening to 2UE this afternoon and a caller said to Brandy & Gibbo that Tod Carney was in trouble again ? something to do with Goulburn NSW.

Not sure when this happened it could be old news ? he did go on to say that Carney would never change.

Goulburn is such a hole.  My sister lives down there and I sometimes have to visit.  Dreadful place, stinking hot in the summer, freezing in the winter, flies everywhere, zero to do for youth except get on the grog and drive.   

DSM5 link said:
Goulburn is such a hole.  My sister lives down there and I sometimes have to visit.  Dreadful place, stinking hot in the summer, freezing in the winter, flies everywhere, zero to do for youth except get on the grog and drive.   

I couldn't live there I've been through Goulburn plenty of times over the years on my way to the ACT,Cootamundra and Cowra etc.. and stopped to have a bite to eat.

FRENCH rugby has emerged as the potential last throw of the dice for banned league star Todd Carney if, as expected, he is unable to talk his former club, Canberra, into clearing him to play in the NRL this year.

Eagle P, whereabouts did you stop to eat?  The place has a few greasy joints but nothing of any substance.  There used to be a very good cafe at Collector called the Linwood cafe..  Don't know whether it still exists but it served excellent coffee and just the place to stop on the way to or from the snow.     

The whole of Gouburn's economy revolved around pinging visitors for speeding on main roads with suburban street speed limits.

One of the best things that ever happened in NSW was building the Goulburn by-pass. May the banjos stay silent on their front porches.

Is This the Roosters trying to get both Bird & Carney

Give offenders the chance to redeem themselvesArticle from: Font size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment By Josh Massoud

February 17, 2009 12:00am

CRIMINOLOGY Rule No.1: Release a prisoner from jail and they will most likely re-offend.

For many freed felons, there is no other viable choice. Society simply can't bear the thought of giving them one.

Employers refuse to take the risk of hiring a convicted crim, who then must find alternative means of survival.

The most familiar source is crime. So they re-offend and the cycle continues - crime, incarceration, crime, incarceration, crime, incarceration ...

And what does this have to do with sport? A fair bit if you happen to be Todd Carney or Greg Bird.

Knocked back: Newtown Jets reject Bird, Carney

The debate over whether the pair deserve a second, third or fourth chance has evolved into a daily beast as both desperately seek opportunities to avoid sitting out 2009.

But the question shouldn't be about recurring chances.

It should be about breaking the cycle that threatens to spiral their lives into irredeemable territory.

What do you think? Tell us in the comment here and vote in our special poll.

If the naysayers are successful in blocking Bird and Carney from playing in 2009, it will spell 18 months on the sidelines for each.

Their respective clubs, Cronulla and Canberra, set the wheels in motion by standing them down midway through last season. Given the circumstances, they were justified in doing so.

Both halves were given the green light to continue their careers in England, before an unforeseeable fever of stringency at the British High Commission denied them a work visa that had previously been granted to other players with criminal convictions.

Suddenly they are stranded. The last remaining option is to swallow their pride and return to what has effectively been reduced to park football in recent years - the NSW Cup.

The Newtown Jets were prepared to offer both not so much a lifeline as a bit of tattered rope - the chance to play in front of a handful of diehards every weekend in the rugby league boondocks.

Being footballers, Bird and Carney jumped at the chance. Anything to avoid the terrible idleness that is rotting their motivation, eroding their physiques and gnawing away at their sense of self-worth.

Gallery: The strife and times of Greg Bird

Gallery: Todd Carney's dramatic life

But not even this indignity is acceptable to some in the game, despite NRL boss David Gallop and ARL counterpart Geoff Carr showing a refreshing willingness to nurse the duo back via the lower grades.

So long as there is continuing resolve to prevent them from playing at NRL level this season, it is impossible to conceive how appearances in the NSW Cup harms anyone - including Canberra and Cronulla.

The Raiders, for one, don't even field a team in that competition. There's no way Carney can come back and bite them.

And as for Bird? He's already been exiled for six months, despite not having any convictions recorded.

While the charges against him are serious enough to excuse Cronulla distancing itself, they should not preclude him from climbing back elsewhere.

Thanks to administrators and bureaucrats who are too shaken to think straight amid the din, Carney and Bird have been robbed of any chance to redeem themselves.

And no matter how many chances they've used up, that's an opportunity that should never be denied.

Re: Is This the Roosters trying to get both Bird & Carney

That is crap. They will get their 16 months or so and then get their chance to redeem themselves. Noone has given them a life ban. The NRL didn't deny their visas to the UK - that was their own stupid faults.

It is time people stopped trying to blame everything that happens on someone else and take a cold hard look at the problem - OUT OF CONTROL BEHAVIOUR!! Both had repeated form.

They are both good footballers who will get another chance - but spare me days!!!! The two will miss over a season due to the fact that they both behaved in a manner contrary to their contracts and out of step with what is considered reasonable behaviour by a normal member of society. If they took a close look at themselves and underwent some pain, maybe they would emerge the better for the experience but not whilst excuses are being made on their behalf and blame heading to the NRL, media etc.

Former Canberra bad boy Todd Carney has been given a rugby league lifeline - with the Atherton Roosters in Far North Queensland.

Carney has signed a one-year deal with the club, which plays in the Cairns competition.

The contract was registered with the Cairns District Rugby League on Wednesday with Carney now waiting for a clearance from the Raiders, the club that sacked him last August after a string of alcohol-related incidents.

Canberra supremo John McIntyre had said last month there was no way he would allow the former star half-back to play anywhere except Goulburn, Carney’s home town and Canberra’s feeder competition.

Carney had signed to play with Huddersfield in the Super League but UK immigration officials refused him a visa because of his police record.

The news comes as former Cronulla star Greg Bird signed a contract with Les Catalans in France.

Riolo said the Raiders had no grounds not to grant a clearance given they sacked Carney last year and he was no longer on their books.

While clearances go through individual clubs, Riolo has consulted NRL chief executive David Gallop about the move.

"I spoke to David Gallop today and he said as far as he was concerned there was no issue with Todd playing in Atherton," Riolo said.

"Todd just wants to get on with his life.

"He’s applied to be registered and is going through the registration process.

"Hopefully, there’s no issues but if there are, we’ll deal with that at the time."

News Limited newspapers

Please post these through the Articles >> Submit Articles

Just what Todd Carney needs.....a stint in FNQ on the rums. How long will he last before he's plastered and pestering some swedish backpacker chick at one of the many watering holes ?

I don't think Canberra's McIntyre has a leg to stand on. The issue was always about the NRL and he is not playing in that. The Raiders have him off their books as far as I know and he should be fine to play in Qld.

Raiders should just get over it, they let him go, they stated they don't want him back in Green.. and he's not signed for an NRL club.

Atherton is not far away from Townsville........

and a certain injury prone, Origin certainty..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8