time and space

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
We have excellent attacking players who are not getting time to ply their trade. Wether the 10m is skinny, or wether our playmakers hold the ball to long or whatever the team is not getting enough room to dent the opposition with skill.

Its evident in Foz who is very brave in taking the ball to the line and it does produce results but he is flogging it a bit. Its easy to see with the short kicking game as its often so late, control is lost and it becomes a desperate stab. Anyone who watches the footy shows would hear A.Johns rave about this, so I wonder if it is a direct result of his coaching. Only posing a question.

Stevie seems to get more space when he gets the ball than lyon. Possibly a result of the inside work but i feel he stands a little deeper but most likely a combination of both

Daly just does too much with the ball too often. He is very deceptive and quite fast so its great at times that he leaves his option to run open , but he consumes a lot of time on a lot of occasions that is needed out wide. he played very well last night

The lack of go forward can contribute to that but with horo , choc doing a stellar job i think the loss of the props is a little over stated and the rotation make yards, are very mobile and play the ball quite quickly

We have the footwork and guile to worry the life out of teams, they just need some room to step. this is why brett is such a massive part of our attack, and its no coincidence he does his playmaker role when he receives the ball deep and has time to select

Manly are playing too much at the line, rendering many strike weapons useless to a point. They have invested in rolls royces but have entered them in a smash up derby

I just dont get it

That is the way foz plays it gets results, as for the otherwise daly is very strong for a halfback killer needs to play straighter.
We are all overanalysing they just need to have a dig less penalties and mistakes more completions.

winnyason said:
That is the way foz plays it gets results, as for the otherwise daly is very strong for a halfback killer needs to play straighter.
We are all overanalysing they just need to have a dig less penalties and mistakes more completions.

Yes on the overanalysing. As a coach I think Tooves should do just what you say with the first point of call being to minimise errors and penalties. Tactics & skillis have not left this side, they will come back as we head towards the business end.

Part of the issue for a lack of points is that we have a hooker who is extremely defence orientated and doesn't offer very much in attack

If Ballin could just work 5-10 quality runs into his game we would be a far better outfit, Smith, Luke and Friend all do it well for the sides above us. His option taking when we are close to the line is very frustrating as well

In Golden Point last night he ran to try and catch the markers out, would have been great to see that in the 80mins previous. He showed against Canberra than he can have it in him but just very seldom tries to produce it

Kiwi Eagle said:
Part of the issue for a lack of points is that we have a hooker who is extremely defence orientated and doesn't offer very much in attack

If Ballin could just work 5-10 quality runs into his game we would be a far better outfit, Smith, Luke and Friend all do it well for the sides above us. His option taking when we are close to the line is very frustrating as well

In Golden Point last night he ran to try and catch the markers out, would have been great to see that in the 80mins previous. He showed against Canberra than he can have it in him but just very seldom tries to produce it

KE, did you notice Ballin doing a Foran in the first 25 mins and attacking the line himself on occassions last night ? Didnt work, but it almost appeared to maybe a new tactic (not sure myself)

I still dont understand how we can utilise only 3 of our bench yet refuse to include an interchange dummy half. Seems to me that we need to address that and our bench balance/impact.

Nothing that sticks in my mind Jatz but I was distracted at times through the 1st half

I'd love an interchange hooker but not sure who it would be. We actually went down the path of trying it with Buhrer last season and I didn't think it was a disaster, he certainly added some spark but then we shelved it

Without wanting change for change sake, I think the time has come to offer a structural difference.

We took on seemingly too many halves n hookers with Ballin, Buhrer, Chisolm, Lawton, Seage, Higgins etc, so it ponders the question as to why havnt we looked at developing the one of them that suitable as interchange within our current program. Are we waiting until next year ? Has Chisolm received enough crdits this year to qualify? From what I hear he has (and I was a huge Lawton fan)

We are missing something and its becoming increasingly apparent to me that our choices on the bench are inhibiting a side thats feeling its age & the pressure, week in week out.

g,day all,heres a bit of left field for you,but after watching him the other night young hikus willingness to be involved in the middle of the field and showing a bit of creativity with the ball made me think he might have a bit of potential in the dummy half area.I really liked his effort and enthusiasm to be involved and we need to find a spot for him when brett returns,interchange value maybe covering backline positions,halves and maybe a little bit of dummy halfwork.
cheers mike

mike walker said:
g,day all,heres a bit of left field for you,but after watching him the other night young hikus willingness to be involved in the middle of the field and showing a bit of creativity with the ball made me think he might have a bit of potential in the dummy half area.I really liked his effort and enthusiasm to be involved and we need to find a spot for him when brett returns,interchange value maybe covering backline positions,halves and maybe a little bit of dummy halfwork.
cheers mike

I agree. I noticed he is just about half a second off being brilliant. (Less than half probably.)

I mean against the dogs he seemed to be rushed a lot. The dogs moved up quick on the fringes though so that's prob it.

I believe if he gets a chance to get a touch better in his timing, we'll be cheering his name even louder in the future.

Mark from Brisbane said:
How much better were we on 2008 when Heath was coming on and adding creativity to the mix??
Totally agree an attacking weapon with explosive speed to challenge that ruck area where it all starts would have to be a bonus.
Still feel confident points will flow more readily with Snakes return but really - you should win 99% of games when you score 30+ points....

Bottom line is go forward, we are on average 150 metres short a game compared to 2011. Our completions have been down too.

DCE and Keiran are playing with less time to create.

I would like to see Manly build pressure, getting line drop outs and wearing their opponents down. They have to build pressure and try to play an up tempo game. When they did that against the dogs in the last 15 minutes they looked great.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4