These short term late season loans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Damien2812

Bencher

What are peoples thoughts? Nofo this year, TPJ last...

I don't like them. Sure it suits the Storm in stacking the deck, it suits the Tigers in freeing some cap space and it suits Nofo in playing finals footy but for mine it doesnt suit the fans.

Bring back the old June 30 for mid season switches
I don't like it either since it's hard to support your team with loan players who aren't part of the long term future.

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I can give you a little tip about Nofoaluma’s ability,last season from RD1,I started backing his opposite winger for anytime try scorer every week.By seasons end,I was able to buy a new Titleist 3Wood with the profits(true story)This season hasn’t been as profitable thus far as he has missed 7 rds and I’m 4 from 12 rds he’s played but even Tigers supporters are not fans of his and not just because of his footy.Granted not all tries conceded down his wing are his fault,but if a Manly winger had a strike rate like that,I’m sure he’d have a negative thread on ST after one weekuter

no wonder he is on the outer.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I reckon it stinks.....I was bought up on rivalry where you had a genuine dislike/ hatred for opposition teams and now you can be playing with a team you played against the week before - what a joke.
My thoughts are - you have a squad and for that season you are stuck with it.
If there are extreme injuries/ covid ect there could be the exemption of grabbing plaiyers from your feeder club like a side I know missing 7 players this weekend.
It's another dodgy loophole to help the rich get richer and there's no coincidence it's the top dog teams like Penrith and Melbourne who get to take advantage.
The old rugby league had integrity, loyalty and genuine rivalry and I realise these days it's more a "business", but this type of thing yet again runs against the "genuine morals and team comradery" that many of us grew up on.
In the good old days, the young fans who invested in a Tigers David Nofalumo jersey, would not have him scoring tries for another NRL side in that same season, there's something extremely wrong with that picture in my eyes.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I reckon it stinks.....I was bought up on rivalry where you had a genuine dislike/ hatred for opposition teams and now you can be playing with a team you played against the week before - what a joke.
My thoughts are - you have a squad and for that season you are stuck with it.
If there are extreme injuries/ covid ect there could be the exemption of grabbing plaiyers from your feeder club like a side I know missing 7 players this weekend.
It's another dodgy loophole to help the rich get richer and there's no coincidence it's the top dog teams like Penrith and Melbourne who get to take advantage.
The old rugby league had integrity, loyalty and genuine rivalry and I realise these days it's more a "business", but this type of thing yet again runs against the "genuine morals and team comradery" that many of us grew up on.
In the good old days, the young fans who invested in a Tigers David Nofalumo jersey, would not have him scoring tries for another NRL side in that same season, there's something extremely wrong with that picture in my eyes.

Sup!

fwiw, I remember asking my Canadian bro-in-law how people feel when they buy a jersey with a players name, then said player gets traded in the nhl.

He said "It's not a super big deal, like you don't feel the need to throw out your jersey, it's about remembering the good times when he was with your team."

Not saying that's right for everyone, but it was interesting to get those insights. Kinda like the insights re: conferences.

StuBoot

Bencher
I don't mind a full season loan deal for an up and comer like Harry Grant, he wasn't going to get much of a run in firsts and the Tigers could give him that.
Win, win for both clubs and the player.

BUT l don't like the late season loan like TPJ or Nofa.

Sure, the Storm have been hit by injuries but what do they do if it's earlier in the year?
They just have to battle on yeah?

Clubs get their seasons cruelled by injuries and/or suspensions and have to battle on, they have a top 30 from which to draw from.
I could understand it if a team had to go outside their top 30 but no, l'm not a fan of the late season loan.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
I don't mind a full season loan deal for an up and comer like Harry Grant, he wasn't going to get much of a run in firsts and the Tigers could give him that.
Win, win for both clubs and the player.

BUT l don't like the late season loan like TPJ or Nofa.

Sure, the Storm have been hit by injuries but what do they do if it's earlier in the year?
They just have to battle on yeah?

Clubs get their seasons cruelled by injuries and/or suspensions and have to battle on, they have a top 30 from which to draw from.
I could understand it if a team had to go outside their top 30 but no, l'm not a fan of the late season loan.
Agree 100%

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
I can give you a little tip about Nofoaluma’s ability,last season from RD1,I started backing his opposite winger for anytime try scorer every week.By seasons end,I was able to buy a new Titleist 3Wood with the profits(true story)This season hasn’t been as profitable thus far as he has missed 7 rds and I’m 4 from 12 rds he’s played but even Tigers supporters are not fans of his and not just because of his footy.Granted not all tries conceded down his wing are his fault,but if a Manly winger had a strike rate like that,I’m sure he’d have a negative thread on ST after one week
And for those that don’t know, new titleist 3 woods ain’t cheap! I game titleist.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
IMO the administrators of our game are responsible for the circus that Rugby league has become They have not protected the fabric of the game. It has become money making circus drowning in gambling and rules being changed depending on who is asking. PV delivers a lot of rhetoric about the tribalism of the game and the values of the NRL but I don't see that reflected in the decisions the NRL has made.

NYEagle

Bencher
Regarding pickups before the deadline...

We should bring in Sideshow Bob (Proctor) for the rest of the year. Has Melbourne DNA and is a passionate player when on song. I think he would offer plenty off the bench.

NYEagle

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Sup!

fwiw, I remember asking my Canadian bro-in-law how people feel when they buy a jersey with a players name, then said player gets traded in the nhl.

He said "It's not a super big deal, like you don't feel the need to throw out your jersey, it's about remembering the good times when he was with your team."

Not saying that's right for everyone, but it was interesting to get those insights. Kinda like the insights re: conferences.
I think you'll find it's been a tradition there amongst the NHL he was bought up on, where in the NRL it's relatively new so everyone is still adjusting.
Their trade season is as common as our off season, so any player is open to change and the fans expect this.....In rugby league I would find it weird, especially "This late" in a season, if I got my son a Tigers jersey with his favourite players name on it after round 20, only to see them playing against us 2 weeks later makes the game feel a bit shallow imo.
We all know there are negotiations outside the period they are meant to and I have no drama withj this....but would prefer it black/white where the player does not wear the new jersey until the following season....it will get to the point Roosters will get Munster for the GF after Melbourne are knocked out the week before and he wins it for them, I mean this is possible following the current setup right....

Last edited:

Son of Manly Beach

Reserve Grader
Glad someone brought this up - hate it!
Think its unfair as all teams should deal with their rosters as is.
Its watering down the comp. And how about having even just one tiny piece of loyalty to the clubs you play for.
How can you be a group of brothers playing for each other when the bastard from the opposition joins you to play in the finals. Ridiculous

Blake

Reserve Grader
I could understand it during covid, as there was no lower grades playing, but during regular times I think its ridiculous.
Every team gets hit with injuries; the Storm shouldn't be able to cry poor that they've lost a few backs, and be able to replace them with players from other teams, get a better junior nursery of your own to choose from.

eagleron

Bencher
Don't like it, teams should have to live and play within their squad and feeder clubs, the back end of the seasonand not purchase short term merchs leading into the finals.
Rugby league has always been a war of attrition.

One off unusual events like Covid and dislocation years the exception
That's where the term depth comes from, injuries always were a test of the depth of clubs and an opening of the door of opportunity for up and coming players, I don't like this rubbish and I cannot understand how it came to be

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 5 6 47 12
12 6 6 2 12