These Black and white rules are still grey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't mind this at all....the only thing I have seen be a difference maker with bunker is the replay of those spectacular winger tries in the corner where there's just a blade of grass in it, but I could even live with this just being decided by ref and touchie ....this bunker also saps up the momentum of a game when replays go on for 5 minutes, we are there to watch the game roll on, not 58 replays , get on with it !!
The issue is not so much the play but the media attention after if there is a mistake. I have always wanted a system where there is a time limit (say 2 min) and if no conclusion can be reached then they just stick with the on field refs call.

The problem I have with the use of video ref / VAR etc is that it seeks to make a game perfect when sport was never that way. There are always going to be subjective decisions - we just seem to have lost the ability to deal with them as a society and instead rant and rave from the roof tops when something goes against our team

The issue is not so much the play but the media attention after if there is a mistake. I have always wanted a system where there is a time limit (say 2 min) and if no conclusion can be reached then they just stick with the on field refs call.

The problem I have with the use of video ref / VAR etc is that it seeks to make a game perfect when sport was never that way. There are always going to be subjective decisions - we just seem to have lost the ability to deal with them as a society and instead rant and rave from the roof tops when something goes against our team
The bunker was brought in to stop the howlers , trouble is it’s created just as many howlers as it was supposed to stop.

And you’re right , in the modern era with super slo mo’s & gazillions on social media it’s discussed & dissected ad nauseam , often to the detriment of the game.

Very true and I have been 1 of those to scream at the tv after an unfavourable call, yet happily watch with a smile when we get the call, so Im a perfect example of that @:smirk: but in fairness, I think it's what most passionate supporters do and add the logic later once the adrenalin cools down....
I do agree about the time limit also and thought 1 minute is enough....also these "you have 10 seconds to challenge" yet some Captains are coming in 30 - 40 seconds later and allowed to challenge and then we sit watching reviews for another 3 minutes with the game losing all momentum.

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
The problem I have is the gap wasn’t there because someone was obstructed. The gap was there for Tom because one player ran out of the line and the other didn’t cover. It seems so black and white.

The problem I have is the gap wasn’t there because someone was obstructed. The gap was there for Tom because one player ran out of the line and the other didn’t cover. It seems so black and white.
Yeh the fact the defensive player actually ran up and just hugged on to Jake was also on him, the only thing they could say on Jake was he didn't run through the line...and this is what they got him for.
Thing is he stopped well short of the line, not in the line and the defender actually went up on Jake rather than slide inside to shut the gate, so comes back to discretion and I kind of reckon they went this way, feeling the pass was forward from Tom, in which case they can't rule on it.
To be honest though, the game was there for us to cash in and we lost the ticket on the way home...

What about Gutho’s late hit on turbo with a shoulder after he passed to Koula. No comment from bunker on that. I’ve seen sin bins for that before.

Last edited:
The bunker was brought in to stop the howlers , trouble is it’s created just as many howlers as it was supposed to stop.

And you’re right , in the modern era with super slo mo’s & gazillions on social media it’s discussed & dissected ad nauseam , often to the detriment of the game.
Not sure how much football you watch (soccer) but while it has helped with howlers etc it has taken away from the spontaneous nature of the game.

Your team scores, you kinda celebrate then you wait for the VAR check which can go on and on in football. Then get the result but even then it is kinda deflating.

I am sure fans will adapt and this will be less of an issue over time but it does kinda suck

Every player in the NRL knows about the obstruction rule. It is black and white.
Not true, according to Annusly who says the Bunker has discretionary powers, and he highlighted this in a decision in the Penrith V Brisbane match. In this latter instance the Bunker used --- wait for it -- common sense to rule a try because the player interfered with (Kapow, who takes a solid knock) would not have made the covering tackle.

I'm yet to be convinced that technology, in any sport, has improved the fairness for both players and fans. What it has done is taken away the power of the referee/umpire, complicated simple rules and delayed gratification.
Does anybody enjoy the thrill of watching a try, having it awarded by the ref, and then being totally deflated when some palooka in a box takes minutes to decide if your joy was premature or not?

Not sure how much football you watch (soccer) but while it has helped with howlers etc it has taken away from the spontaneous nature of the game.

Your team scores, you kinda celebrate then you wait for the VAR check which can go on and on in football. Then get the result but even then it is kinda deflating.

I am sure fans will adapt and this will be less of an issue over time but it does kinda suck
Yeah not really a soccer fan but I do read a bit about the anger of the VAR approval.

The trouble is the bunker ( VAR would be the same ) can sometimes find the tiniest little thing to stop a try , this I see regularly on where say they put a bomb up , Player A the attacker wins the battle for the ball and scores , then bingo , it’s reviewed and they find the absolute smallest ( minute at times ) bounce where the ball is propelled 1/4 of an inch into the defender and it’s “ NO TRY”.

By the rules yes a knock on , but without super slo mo , and 50 looks from 20 angles it’s a try any day of the week.

The game has become so scrutinised.

Every player in the NRL knows about the obstruction rule. It is black and white.

Jake needed to be penalised - no try. Plain and simple. All he had to do was move 3 more metres forward past the defender.

It doesn't matter that the ref called try. Every try scoring movement is looked at by the bunker.

I cannot believe the biitching and moaning about this. Yet everyone is ignoring the multiple errors we made that put us in that position.

As DCE said in the pressr. As long as the NRL is consistent, he had no issue with the call.

Time to move on
That’s a very b&w view of a grey area, Clint Exveeonerson.

Im a Liverpool supporter and have been on the wrong end of VAR in recent times....but like any sport as some good Silvertails have rightly said " We can't control the decision so get on with it" and Im all about that theory, as this is a test of resilience and the Best teams who go on to win in ANY sport are the teams and individuals who can overcome adversity without falling into the excuse basket...that is the quickest way to sink and drag the rest down with a weak mentallity.

It's not just the technology causing problems, it's the rules surrounding when it can be used, and for what reason. Had Turbo been tackled, and Manly had scored the following play the Bunker could not have ruled on the obstruction. So we have a system where only tries are examined, not every play.
Obviously the reason for that is that a RL match would then take as long as a gridiron match.
As it is, technology is extending the average NRL match by 15-20 minutes. Apparently in the eyes of the NRL that is an acceptable extension, yet it defeats the argument that technology improves decision-making because if it did it would be used for every play, plus forward passes.

Graham Annesley: “Well, there are black and white guidelines about what is and what is not an obstruction, but there is also black and white guidelines that gives some discretion in situations that warrant that discretion.”

That is from the supremo in charge of rule explanations. Just read that again. I challenge anybody to explain what those words actually mean. Politician-speak.

Mate this is one of the best posts I’ve read on Silvertails. I like the way you’ve articulated our inability to deal with subjectivity. It’s interesting discussion when a decision is contentious but that’s all it needs to be; a discussion.

We’ve had contentious decisions in RL since 1908 and they’re still continuing to this day. Instead of arguing about the referee, we are arguing about the referee and the bunker, so if anything, it’s even more contentious now. The problem is still there, just in a fancy new technological guise.

Can we please scrap the bunker for all but ‘put downs’ and accept that imperfection is perfection?!

The defender grabbed Jake. Jake didn’t get in his way.

Plenty of these bunker obstruction decisions are called try if the defender makes the choice to go to the decoy, so wtf is all I can say

The defender grabbed Jake. Jake didn’t get in his way.

Plenty of these bunker obstruction decisions are called try if the defender makes the choice to go to the decoy, so wtf is all I can say
It was all done to get the penalty , he saw Jake there , and thought “ if I grab him it’s a penalty “ .

Jake should have run through , and it would have been a try , and a win , he didn’t , and sadly that’s a **** up.

**** happens !!

It was all done to get the penalty , he saw Jake there , and thought “ if I grab him it’s a penalty “ .

Jake should have run through , and it would have been a try , and a win , he didn’t , and sadly that’s a **** up.

**** happens !!
Yeah, and it will continue to happen until we get back to the original way the sport was refereed: decisions made by the referee on what they saw.
There were plenty of dubious decisions in the old days but they were over in the blink of an eye and not allowed to fester for days after the event.

Yeah, and it will continue to happen until we get back to the original way the sport was refereed: decisions made by the referee on what they saw.
There were plenty of dubious decisions in the old days but they were over in the blink of an eye and not allowed to fester for days after the event.
Yep & not brought up a gazillion times & shared on social media.

Unfortunately, with the improved quality of camera work and the greater number of camera angles, even if we went back to the ref making a decision and the game moving in, it’s not going to stop the scrutiny and festering. Social media has changed that forever.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8