The thing we haven't factored in.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

conanu

Bencher
Before I begin I just want to state that I write this with the utmost respect to Keith Titmuss and his family and I am loathe to bring it up, but I can't help but feel like its possible that we are witnessing the on-field manifestation of the grief and sadness caused by Keiths death in the players performances. Nearly all the players look completely void of energy and spark and it is something we haven't really taken into account. Sometimes when things of this nature happen it can fortify a team and a club but alternatively it can have a devastating effect on attitude and performance. A lot of those guys have lost a best friend that has been a huge part of their lives. I am sure they all want to give their all for Keith but may be suffering inside and just can't find that fire because Keiths death has left them numb. They are all professionals but even the best can suffer when they lose someone especially in the very sad way they lost Keith. I'm not saying they can use it as an excuse, but it might go some way to explaining just how poor they are. I can't ever remember DCE playing so poorly 3 weeks in a row. Hopefully they can find that fire in the belly and get going before we all lose faith and it is too late to recover.

Steve Price recently said this after he saw Manu Vatuvai reduced to tears when asked about Sonny Fai in a television interview near the end of the 2009 season, it was then he realised just how much it had affected the team at the time.

"I think we were all at home watching that exactly the same [way]. We're all big, tough guys and think you're handling it but you're not.

"I'm really disappointed of our result that year... (14th out of 16) Sonny deserved a lot more than that. But I think he appreciated how much it was hurting all of us, that showed how much he meant to us."

Before I begin I just want to state that I write this with the utmost respect to Keith Titmuss and his family and I am loathe to bring it up, but I can't help but feel like its possible that we are witnessing the on-field manifestation of the grief and sadness caused by Keiths death in the players performances. Nearly all the players look completely void of energy and spark and it is something we haven't really taken into account. Sometimes when things of this nature happen it can fortify a team and a club but alternatively it can have a devastating effect on attitude and performance. A lot of those guys have lost a best friend that has been a huge part of their lives. I am sure they all want to give their all for Keith but may be suffering inside and just can't find that fire because Keiths death has left them numb. They are all professionals but even the best can suffer when they lose someone especially in the very sad way they lost Keith. I'm not saying they can use it as an excuse, but it might go some way to explaining just how poor they are. I can't ever remember DCE playing so poorly 3 weeks in a row. Hopefully they can find that fire in the belly and get going before we all lose faith and it is too late to recover.

Steve Price recently said this after he saw Manu Vatuvai reduced to tears when asked about Sonny Fai in a television interview near the end of the 2009 season, it was then he realised just how much it had affected the team at the time.

"I think we were all at home watching that exactly the same [way]. We're all big, tough guys and think you're handling it but you're not.

"I'm really disappointed of our result that year... (14th out of 16) Sonny deserved a lot more than that. But I think he appreciated how much it was hurting all of us, that showed how much he meant to us."
Well said

I've mentioned this several times, and it's no disrespect to Keith and his family, more the opposite.
I don't suggest this is the sole issue but there is no way it isn't significant.
Low morale is one explanation for the team falling to pieces.
Put it this way, there's very few guys in our squad who actually 'can't play'. I can imagine nearly all of them might prosper at Melbourne for example.

With all due respect, regardless of what's happenned, nothing will change the fact that certain players are not genuine first graders and there needs to be a clean out. I'm sure a lot of players were devastated. But conversely Saab for instance has made it known that he will try his hardest and dedicate his season in the memory of Keith. And so should everyone else.

Conversely they could use his passing as a “ let’s do it for Keith “.

It might be playing a part but I doubt it’s a major factor.

But it’s something I hadn’t thought about .
I am sure that the "lets do it for Keith" attitude is something they are all wanting to buy into and they all want to do it for Keith and play their best but sometimes saying and wanting to do it isn't enough. I think a team like our 2011 team full of seasoned first grade performer's and older heads like Glenn and Brett Stewart, Watmough, Matai etc in first grade could handle it and use it as motivation to win a comp, but as Spartan rightly says certain players in our team are not genuine first graders and when you are already trying to get blood from a stone and then something like this happens and attitudes are out of sync, then you get this poor and lethargic looking shambles we are dishing up. I never wrote this to give them an excuse, more to try to figure out what is the underlying issue, because I have never seen a more apathetic Des coached team. Maybe if they can string a few wins together and turn a corner the "Do it for Keith" mentality could be a blessing and really consolidate the side. God I hope so.

You make a very good point @conanu and one that hasn't been considered. Their grief could certainly be an underlying issue contributing to their poor performances. Let's hope their "Do it for Keith" mentality unites them and turns things around soon.

It's an interesting point you raise. That's where strong leadership and a tight group culture can help in dealing with issues like this. Hopefully we have someone in this squad watching out for the young guys and helping them through the emotions of losing a mate.

Wow some people will make any excuse for players. What was last seasons excuse someone's nanna died? **** me the truth is are a **** team at the moment with a dinosaur as our coach but if excuses make you feel better knock yourself out.

May be a little simple to go for straight grief. Paseka's dad died just a couple of weeks ago and he's paying like a demon. It may, however, be a case of those who've taken it very hard looking at others who it may not have seemed to affect at all. Resentment?

There is no question that the passing of young Keith has had a significant impact on the team and the club shut down pre-season training for 2 weeks while they playing group grieved and coped with this tragedy.

I think it is quite evident that we are behind everyone in match fitness and endurance and that our coordination is right off at the moment.

That has something to do with not doing as much training and I truly believe that the biggest issues are a total lack of confidence in the club from the coaching staff, captain and the team.

Where we fail every week is the basics of the game. We have our share of injuries its true. We do not cope with adversity at the moment and we do not have the resilience or fortitude to tough games out.

If you use the game Eels v Sharks last night, I know the score really blew out in the end but the score was only 10-4 to the 65th minute and the Sharks hung in there. This is something we must do better!!

I think it is very fair to suggest that grief has had some kind of impact upon the team. It was a terrible tragedy that happened within their workplace. It would impact any group. There is nothing wrong whatsoever in bringing up this very human factor. It has not only impacted the players but naturally the coaching and support staff as well. In saying this I would personally leave it at acknowledging this and nothing more.

May be a little simple to go for straight grief. Paseka's dad died just a couple of weeks ago and he's paying like a demon. It may, however, be a case of those who've taken it very hard looking at others who it may not have seemed to affect at all. Resentment?
Gee . i was not aware of Paseka "s sad family loss and condolences to his family and full credit to the young man to be still playing so well and still having to come to terms with such a difficult life event . Sure that the loss of a fellow team mate always does and should have some effect and always different levels of coping mechanisms of course . Still no excuse for the obvious and regular inconsistent and below par performances from many of the squad this season and continuing on from last season . With the mode of play now , need the game management and direction and well organized defence to have sides on the front foot as much as possible . Foz and Schuster are trying to lead the way in attack , is it too much to expect D C E to do the same .Defence is another matter altogether , thought that there were some concerted efforts in the off season to try to rectify this

Gee . i was not aware of Paseka "s sad family loss and condolences to his family and full credit to the young man to be still playing so well and still having to come to terms with such a difficult life event . Sure that the loss of a fellow team mate always does and should have some effect and always different levels of coping mechanisms of course . Still no excuse for the obvious and regular inconsistent and below par performances from many of the squad this season and continuing on from last season . With the mode of play now , need the game management and direction and well organized defence to have sides on the front foot as much as possible . Foz and Schuster are trying to lead the way in attack , is it too much to expect D C E to do the same .Defence is another matter altogether , thought that there were some concerted efforts in the off season to try to rectify this
He's had a tough time. Quite the remarkable young man.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8