The Seven Have Agreed to Wear Pride Jersey Next Year (maybe?)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
lol i cant believe this argument is still going on 5 days later... the reality is that there are 3 groups of people:
1. Those who dont care either way
2. Those who think that human rights includes the rights of an individual to express themselves, their sexuality and their religion. Those in this group understand that Australia is part of the United Nations and have signed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. They also understand that there is an anti discrimination act and an employer cannot discriminate against an employee for practicing their religion.
3. Those who think that human rights includes the rights of an individual to express themselves, their sexuality, but how dare they practice their religion. These people assume their position on their high horses and atop mount condescension without actually knowing a thing about laws and declarations. They promote "inclusivity" via the exclusion of the religious. I call them Peanut Brain Lefties.

Well that will do me that the players never refused to play and were happy to play in those jerseys. The accurate picture is that the players refused to play in those jersies... the NRL said that you could not wear another jersey... sooo given the NRL stated that the one jersey must be worn by all and the players refused to PLAY in that jersey... there was no other option than for the players not to play!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wether that was the club standing them down or them outright refusing to play... The bottom line is THEY refused TO PLAY IN those JERSEYS. Oh now the weasel word semantics to go with the hypocrisy.
No, they went to the club with concerns about wearing the jersey, they probably thought a compromise could be reached. The club chose to stand them down rather than force them to choose which would've led to even more disharmony.

I'm not defending anyone here, it's a situation where several parties shoulder part of the blame. Just trying to get the facts straight and the players didn't refuse to play, they were stood down. Possibly a case of being pushed before they jumped but the club took that decision out of their hands which was the best possible long term solution.

No, they went to the club with concerns about wearing the jersey, they probably thought a compromise could be reached. The club chose to stand them down rather than force them to choose which would've led to even more disharmony.

I'm not defending anyone here, it's a situation where several parties shoulder part of the blame. Just trying to get the facts straight and the players didn't refuse to play, they were stood down. Possibly a case of being pushed before they jumped but the club took that decision out of their hands which was the best possible long term solution.
Sorry mate - I totally agree there is blame to go around - absolutely - players, player's management, Manly management, Penn, Marketing, NRL... but the hypocrisy of these 7 is outrageous. They would not play in those jerseys and however the end result played out... they did not play based on their refusal to play in that jersey. There can surely not be claims now of well they might have played if there were more talks or some other nonsense like they were going to play but they were stood down. The result is... our season is in tatters, the playing roster divided, fans angry as hell...no matter what side of the fence you sit on this and the general NRL community pretty much against them. I have the absolute highest regard for those players and the skill on the field most of them bring week in and week out. Given their total indifference to the fans, the club and the other players I and many other Manly fans and probably NRL fans will never forget what they did. I will bet at least for the first few games every time one of them touches the ball sadly they will get roundly and loudly booed.

No facts ... you have been all over this issue for days ... read everything posted prodigiously ...

... So you of all people must, (in the voice of Foghorn Leghorn) .. I say Boy! you of all people Must have some proof that these players said .. We refuse to play ... as opposed to ... we are not wearing a Rainbow Jersey ...
What does my frequency or volume of posting on this subject have to do with anything?

These 7 players excluded themselves due to their discriminatory beliefs.

Slice & dice it as much (or as little, seeing as you seem to have an issue with frequency & volume) as you like, but it's the bottom line.

Last edited:
lol i cant believe this argument is still going on 5 days later... the reality is that there are 3 groups of people:
2. Those who think that human rights includes the rights of an individual to express themselves, their sexuality and their religion. Those in this group understand that Australia is part of the United Nations and have signed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. They also understand that there is an anti discrimination act and an employer cannot discriminate against an employee for practicing their religion.
3. Those who think that human rights includes the rights of an individual to express themselves, their sexuality, but how dare they practice their religion. These people assume their position on their high horses and atop mount condescension without actually knowing a thing about laws and declarations. They promote "inclusivity" via the exclusion of the religious. I call them Peanut Brain Lefties.
Do you believe the 7 players' discriminatory beliefs deserve respect?

Generally speaking if you call me a Leftie I feel like I am on the right track

This is getting funnier by the hour! Which is OK, because after the week Manly fans have had we need a good laugh.

So here’s a little parody of what I’ll refer to as the Woodsie/Will from Hill line (and no Woodsie I’m not accusing you of being a homophobe, although of course you are defending them).

Players: We want to play in the nude
Club: No we are wearing jerseys this week
Players: Well we don’t want to wear jerseys.
Club: OK we are standing you down to spare you from having to choose
Player: Didn’t you hear what we said, we already chose and will only play nude – it’s in our religion!

Here is another skit, again a parody of a line popular among talk back radio hosts and also several here too, but for todays purposes it can be the Karshy principle (extrapolation for dramatic effect).

(Also as with Woodsie, not suggesting you are a homophobe either, just commenting on what I see as a logical weakness in your Peanut Brain Leftie argument) 😊

Player: my religion tells me to kill people who don’t believe in my god

Karshy: well you have every right to do that, it would be discriminatory for me to ask you not to practice your religion as you are clearly quite devout in your beliefs. Would you like to take my head off now?

:eek:

Or 4 - those that believe this was homophobia disguised and using the guise of religious belief to justify it.

This is getting funnier by the hour! Which is OK, because after the week Manly fans have had we need a good laugh.

So here’s a little parody of what I’ll refer to as the Woodsie/Will from Hill line (and no Woodsie I’m not accusing you of being a homophobe, although of course you are defending them).

Players: We want to play in the nude
Club: No we are wearing jerseys this week
Players: Well we don’t want to wear jerseys.
Club: OK we are standing you down to spare you from having to choose
Player: Didn’t you hear what we said, we already chose and will only play nude – it’s in our religion!

Here is another skit, again a parody of a line popular among talk back radio hosts and also several here too, but for todays purposes it can be the Karshy principle (extrapolation for dramatic effect).

(Also as with Woodsie, not suggesting you are a homophobe either, just commenting on what I see as a logical weakness in your Peanut Brain Leftie argument) 😊

Player: my religion tells me to kill people who don’t believe in my god

Karshy: well you have every right to do that, it would be discriminatory for me to ask you not to practice your religion as you are clearly quite devout in your beliefs. Would you like to take my head off now?

:eek:
Thanks for the laugh SER8.

The point I was trying to make is there is a big difference between marching into Des's office and refusing to play and expressing an apprehension to wear a jersey. I don't agree with their views but I also don't believe they said "I hate gay people more than I love Manly". To me this is a complicated situation where there are simply not enough facts for a black and white answer.

ooo I hit a nerve and drew all the lefties out yet again. I have not seen one address the mention of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the anti discrimination act this week. Inconvenient facts I guess?

Thanks for the laugh SER8.

The point I was trying to make is there is a big difference between marching into Des's office and refusing to play and expressing an apprehension to wear a jersey. I don't agree with their views but I also don't believe they said "I hate gay people more than I love Manly". To me this is a complicated situation where there are simply not enough facts for a black and white answer.
Oh man - what a downplay............they just expressed an apprehension? That is it - just a mere apprehension about playing in that jersey? They weren't quite sure... they were conflicted and just raised a minor apprehension? You surely are trying to gee us? I think you need to stop now... your resolve to defend them is totally admirable but the defence is just falling apart completely.

Oh man - what a downplay............they just expressed an apprehension? That is it - just a mere apprehension about playing in that jersey? They weren't quite sure... they were conflicted and just raised a minor apprehension? You surely are trying to gee us? I think you need to stop now... your resolve to defend them is totally admirable but the defence is just falling apart completely.
The answer is probably in the middle somewhere, I gave both extremes. Point is we don't know and probably never will.

I truly believe they were naive and didn't fully understand the position they were putting the club in and certainly didn't expect that they would be stood down without any negotiation.

The answer is probably in the middle somewhere, I gave both extremes. Point is we don't know and probably never will.
Thanks - appreciate your input. The club handled it badly... I agree, However the players detonated a huge bomb and they can never be forgiven for that. Again I will reiterate - I fully support long held religious views and where the holder is consistent in their application of the tenets around their scripture and beliefs. We all sin I get that - even religious people and religious people will of course make a mistake like we all will. But where supposed religious people cherry pick what they follow today and what they wont and where they clearly turn a blind eye to some long standing very important principles yet hold a firm line on others and where people demand respect for their beliefs but refuse to accept that other law abiding citizens can go about their lives in their way...essentially showing discrimination to those group of people that to me is where their claims of religious objection is a total fraud. Cherry picking with your beliefs though isn't making an honest mistake and an innocent "sin" that is a purposeful decision to forgo beliefs around gambling/alchol etc. Anyway - to me this matter is over but the Boycott 10 certainly wont ever be seen as Manly champions that is for damn sure. I will also say again... I am pretty sure there is a leader here whether that be a player or player Manager and I will bet that a few of the Boycott 10 are regretting their stance right now.

Last edited:
I st

I still don't understand why the offer for these blokes to wear the standard strip wasn't made, or was it?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8