The refs/rules and the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Over the years they have changed, adjusted rules over and over to enhance the product and while some have been great, some have been terrible but they all have something in common

The lack of advice to there customer base. If my health fund, or bank change the rules they inform me, mainly as they have a legal obligation to do so but I am aware. The NRL create so much negative publicity around the game, due to the controversial decisions that constantly take up the headlines, primarily as they make very little effort of keeping the fans informed

The NRL has to take this forward and be pro active to stop the crap. Its not good enough for hard core fans to find out when a decision is made in round 6 that a rule has changed. By then the horse has bolted. Get your act together NRL, get the refs to put together a package that can be found on line. Get the network to screen it before the first few games of the season, but ignoring it is undermining what the game is trying to achieve

Unless the aim is to keep us confused to cover the incompetent displays we are being dished up.

Over the years they have changed, adjusted rules over and over to enhance the product and while some have been great, some have been terrible but they all have something in common

The lack of advice to there customer base. If my health fund, or bank change the rules they inform me, mainly as they have a legal obligation to do so but I am aware. The NRL create so much negative publicity around the game, due to the controversial decisions that constantly take up the headlines, primarily as they make very little effort of keeping the fans informed

The NRL has to take this forward and be pro active to stop the crap. Its not good enough for hard core fans to find out when a decision is made in round 6 that a rule has changed. By then the horse has bolted. Get your act together NRL, get the refs to put together a package that can be found on line. Get the network to screen it before the first few games of the season, but ignoring it is undermining what the game is trying to achieve

Unless the aim is to keep us confused to cover the incompetent displays we are being dished up.

What REALLY grinds my gears is the lack of accountability, combined with the "boss" making up piss poor excuses for glaring errors made by "his" workforce.

It's akin to a GovCo bureaucracy V private enterprise : on one hand, mistakes are made and the result is a committee to investigate the committee that runs the department that *eventually* releases a trillion word essay with no relevance to the original mistake. In the REAL world, constant mistakes result in heads rolling and better employees sought to improve results: no sugar coating, no fancy reports, just tell your story walking.

I know that if I screwed up at my work that often.... I'd be goooooone.

The referees have, as a result of Hollywood's massive ego, become the "stars" of the show. Unfortunately a pink idiot's mistakes are having more impact on a game than an epic play from an actual RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYER!!!

It's completely out of whack, and something needs to be done.

What REALLY grinds my gears is the lack of accountability, combined with the "boss" making up piss poor excuses for glaring errors made by "his" workforce.

It's akin to a GovCo bureaucracy V private enterprise : on one hand, mistakes are made and the result is a committee to investigate the committee that runs the department that *eventually* releases a trillion word essay with no relevance to the original mistake. In the REAL world, constant mistakes result in heads rolling and better employees sought to improve results: no sugar coating, no fancy reports, just tell your story walking.

I know that if I screwed up at my work that often.... I'd be goooooone.

The referees have, as a result of Hollywood's massive ego, become the "stars" of the show. Unfortunately a pink idiot's mistakes are having more impact on a game than an epic play from an actual RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYER!!!

It's completely out of whack, and something needs to be done.

By trying to achieve 'perfection' the NRL has thrown manpower and technology into refereeing, turning a simple game into 80 minutes of confusing rules and rulings.
We must go back to basics. One referee and two touchies who make instant decisions on what they see, and their gut tells them. No wasting time on endless slow-mo replays that do not reflect what the naked eye sees. No idiotic, technical rulings that change from week to week and confuse the heck out of fans. I have always been more willing to accept incorrect decisions made by one ref on the spot than the mistakes made by video refs.
Let the broadcasters create controversy with their replays. But let us, the ones who pay to attend matches, watch a fast-paced match, and accept that returning to how the game was originally ruled was the best system.

By trying to achieve 'perfection' the NRL has thrown manpower and technology into refereeing, turning a simple game into 80 minutes of confusing rules and rulings.
We must go back to basics. One referee and two touchies who make instant decisions on what they see, and their gut tells them. No wasting time on endless slow-mo replays that do not reflect what the naked eye sees. No idiotic, technical rulings that change from week to week and confuse the heck out of fans. I have always been more willing to accept incorrect decisions made by one ref on the spot than the mistakes made by video refs.
Let the broadcasters create controversy with their replays. But let us, the ones who pay to attend matches, watch a fast-paced match, and accept that returning to how the game was originally ruled was the best system.

The video replay has a place for one thing only. To see if the ball is grounded properly or not. Nothing more nothing less. No playing god with decisions about obstructions or anything else. Just look to see if the ******* ball was grounded in goal or not. Everything else is up to the refs or the touchies if they missed it then bad luck.

The video replay has a place for one thing only. To see if the ball is grounded properly or not. Nothing more nothing less. No playing god with decisions about obstructions or anything else. Just look to see if the ******* ball was grounded in goal or not. Everything else is up to the refs or the touchies if they missed it then bad luck.

mickqld said:

Bingo.

Add to that, no looking at replays to check for foul play. So sick of watching people stay down because of a fairy tap to the face.
The current system gets BS tackles put on report just so a penalty can be awarded.
Get up and play the ball bitches, like you use too when it was BAD to let the opposition think they'Ve hurt you.

mickqld said:

Bingo.

Add to that, no looking at replays to check for foul play. So sick of watching people stay down because of a fairy tap to the face.
The current system gets BS tackles put on report just so a penalty can be awarded.
Get up and play the ball bitches, like you use too when it was BAD to let the opposition think they'Ve hurt you.

Just on the subject of referees, against the Cowbows, does anybody know who the actual Video Referee was? The reports that I have seen has had Steve Clark in some report and Phil Cooley in others.

Just on the subject of referees, against the Cowbows, does anybody know who the actual Video Referee was? The reports that I have seen has had Steve Clark in some report and Phil Cooley in others.

mickqld said:
The video replay has a place for one thing only. To see if the ball is grounded properly or not.

I don't think it is necessary for anything. If the on-field officials think it has been/has not been grounded then they make the call.
Slow-mo distorts things, and then video officials put their own interpretation on the decision to further stuff things up.
And while on grounding, the NRL should return to the 'having control of the ball' rather that the downward pressure rule, which allows players to be rewarded for virtually throwing the ball at the tryline.

mickqld said:
The video replay has a place for one thing only. To see if the ball is grounded properly or not.

I don't think it is necessary for anything. If the on-field officials think it has been/has not been grounded then they make the call.
Slow-mo distorts things, and then video officials put their own interpretation on the decision to further stuff things up.
And while on grounding, the NRL should return to the 'having control of the ball' rather that the downward pressure rule, which allows players to be rewarded for virtually throwing the ball at the tryline.

The Who said:
mickqld said:

I've said this on numerous occasions on here that there should be only one on-field referee and that the video referee should be replaced with someone who (on request of the sole on-field referee) plays the video of incidents on the big screen (or a tablet as The Eagle pointed out) when the on-field referee wants to check on something that he's not sure of such as the grounding of the ball for a try. That way, responsibility for all decisions falls on the on-field referee alone.

The Who said:
mickqld said:

I've said this on numerous occasions on here that there should be only one on-field referee and that the video referee should be replaced with someone who (on request of the sole on-field referee) plays the video of incidents on the big screen (or a tablet as The Eagle pointed out) when the on-field referee wants to check on something that he's not sure of such as the grounding of the ball for a try. That way, responsibility for all decisions falls on the on-field referee alone.

no no no

Harrigan says the ref's got every call but 1 correct.

http://www.nrl.com/official-view-rd-22-souths-call-right/tabid/10874/newsid/69103/default.aspx

Only 1 not correct was a 78th min penalty against newcastle v dogs

no no no

Harrigan says the ref's got every call but 1 correct.

http://www.nrl.com/official-view-rd-22-souths-call-right/tabid/10874/newsid/69103/default.aspx

Only 1 not correct was a 78th min penalty against newcastle v dogs

I see. Well, maybe the answer is to educate the fans and commentators (and players & coaches) so we all understand what the hell is going on.

Are the rules of the game available online?

I see. Well, maybe the answer is to educate the fans and commentators (and players & coaches) so we all understand what the hell is going on.

Are the rules of the game available online?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8