The real problem with Manly.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I dont think marty is on 800k either.. i think the final year of his last contract was 800k cause it was backended. If I was to guess I reckon he is around that 600k mark
Marty had a backended contract before he renewed last year. The FINAL year of that contract was 800K IIRC. I believe he is on 600-650k now.

Anyhoo, it's time for him to move on after the current one ends, end of next year???

Marty had a backended contract before he renewed last year. The FINAL year of that contract was 800K IIRC. I believe he is on 600-650k now.

Anyhoo, it's time for him to move on after the current one ends, end of next year???
Tough one. Would love him to stay but given our cap difficulties we may have to

So

Marty 800K
Jake 900K
AFB 600K
Paseka 400K

So around 2.7 Mil just there.

DCE 1.3
Turbo 1.1
Walker 400k

5.5 Mil on 7 players

How do the other 23 fit in on 3.8 mil

I'm guessing Sironen, Thompson, Fainu, Suli and Jorge are on way more than minimum.

If I have the numbers wrong I apologise.
I'm just going by what I've read on here or fox sports.

Yep this is my point. 23 players on $3.8m so where exactly does dropping all the deadweight help us? Just more deadweight will be signed.

Yep this is my point. 23 players on $3.8m so where exactly does dropping all the deadweight help us? Just more deadweight will be signed.
I wouldn't go on those figures mate, they are wrong but we are still top-heavy.

Does anyone here think that maybe Des has continually played our biggest money guys so he can sort out who needs to go?

Just to sorta kinda burst a bubble about the salary cap.....

TPA's are not included in the cap. All that is included is what the club itself pays. And Manly isn't paying DCE $1.2m, we're only paying him around $8-900k. Same thing with Turbo, Jake, Marty, Walks etc.

TPA's have to be included in the final total of a contract, but they are not counted under the salary cap. So to say that Cherry takes up that $1.2m, Turbo $1.1m, Jake $900k etc is actually wrong.

Just to kinda sorta burst a bubble about the salary cap.....

TPA's are not included in the cap. All that is included is what the club itself pays. And Manly isn't paying DCE $1.2m, we're only paying him around $8-900k. Same thing with Turbo, Jake, Marty, Walks etc.

TPA's have to be included in the final total of a contract, but they are not counted under the salary cap. So to say that Cherry takes up that $1.2m, Turbo $1.1m, Jake $900k etc is actually wrong.
I read somewhere that Tom and Jake's NRL registered package is 13M but their cap cost is 12M.

If that is true then we are indeed paying them 1.1M and 900K respectively and they receive another million between them over the next 6 years via TPA's.

By my best scouring, DCE is on 1.25M this year...we receive the 200k marquee player allowance for him and possible TPA's so 900K is probably somewhere around the mark.

Marty and Walker's cap cost would be pretty close to their salaries bandied about. 600K and 400k respectively, minus maybe a 50K in TPA for Marty but I doubt anyone is sponsoring Walker these days.
So the cap hit for these 3 is definitely not the 3.21M you protest, but it is probably more like 2.9M.

In addition, they probably use up most of our possible TPA money that would more than likely be spread through other players cap costs if they were not here at all. If so, in REALITY that TPA money DOES need to be added to their cost to the MWSE. This is VERY important because we don't appear to be an attractive TPA benefactor.

Last edited:
Until the NRL publishes player salaries like US sports we are all just playing guessing games.

It's obvious our squad is fairly top heavy and we lack serious quality and depth in the backs and hooker.

My original point still stands, usually culling players such as your Garricks, Parkers, Croker of the world will not result in a net gain big enough to sign quality stars or players.

We can't simply drop 6 or 7 fringe players and sign an Alex Johnston for example.

It's obvious our squad is fairly top heavy and we lack serious quality and depth in the backs and hooker.
How would you know when we haven't seen at least six backs from our roster play this season?
How is it that Melbourne can bring up a winger only his mother had heard of and he instantly fits into their backline and run rings around us?
You must give young talent a chance to prove themselves. DESpicable has used the least amount of players of all the NRL clubs and look how that's worked out for us.
I think it's simple: we have nothing to lose by giving our untried roster members a go in the NRL but plenty to gain.

Wake up! We can’t afford these kind of players. But the Roosters, Storm and Bunnies can. Latrell came out this week to begin the Addo Carr to Bunnies rhetoric. Stop and consider the players missing from their backline and ask yourself how is this even a conversation.
Agree, people think we can just go out an buy great players. Someone on this forum said in a post years ago when all our problems started that it will take us years to recover and whoever that was is correct. Plus, we have players in our side that get raved about on here that have hardly played a game in years. Not just this year but in years and are on decent coin. Now that’s a problem and a big one. No wonder we have no money. The money we had has been wasted. There has been little return for our outlay. Anyone in there right mind does not even need the figures in front of them to work it out. The off field dramas also.People on here bag the crap out of Cherry Evans but at least he is out there Trying. I mean what are people expecting after all the ****e we have created on ourselves.We have players that don’t even know how to tackle without hurting themselves then they come back for a game and are then out again.All this is just the beginning of a side that has been up and down for years now.Now I exclude turbo from all of this as we all know the effort he and his family have put in to our club and the sacrifices he has made over the years.I will say it again Money talks and bull**** walks and if it’s a duck and it quacks then surely it has to be a duck.People need to realise there is more to a team bonding and rebuilding than what we see on the field.What we see on the field is a result of what has been going on for sometime off the field.Sometimes I think some of our players are kids in men’s bodies because our maturity of late has to be questioned.This is the real problem everything else has been short term.

Agree, people think we can just go out an buy great players. Someone on this forum said in a post years ago when all our problems started that it will take us years to recover and whoever that was is correct. Plus, we have players in our side that get raved about on here that have hardly played a game in years. Not just this year but in years and are on decent coin. Now that’s a problem and a big one. No wonder we have no money. The money we had has been wasted. There has been little return for our outlay. Anyone in there right mind does not even need the figures in front of them to work it out. The off field dramas also.People on here bag the crap out of Cherry Evans but at least he is out there Trying. I mean what are people expecting after all the e we have created on ourselves.We have players that don’t even know how to tackle without hurting themselves then they come back for a game and are then out again.All this is just the beginning of a side that has been up and down for years now.Now I exclude turbo from all of this as we all know the effort he and his family have put in to our club and the sacrifices he has made over the years.I will say it again Money talks and bull walks and if it’s a duck and it quacks then surely it has to be a duck.People need to realise there is more to a team bonding and rebuilding than what we see on the field.What we see on the field is a result of what has been going on for sometime off the field.Sometimes I think some of our players are kids in men’s bodies because our maturity of late has to be questioned.This is the real problem everything else has been short term.
I'm curious as to why you make the point to exclude Turbo? Along with Walker, Turbo would seem to be the archetype of not getting value for money over years?

Watching our recent performance and also watching other teams play, it is quite apparent that we are missing 1 or 2 players with mongrel or someone who will demand the ball or make things happen if they have the ball in hand.

Previous Years – we had the likes of Watmough and Gift who were talented players but were also tough as nail with mongrel. In the back, we had the like to Snake, Killer. Matai and Foz who did inspirational things to lift the team when needed.

When looking at other teams, we can see the team that have these types of players and team that do not have any and this reflects their position on the table.

Present Team – We do not have enough leaders who step up when needed. Unfortunately, Jake cannot do this on his own and even then, he does not have the mongrel to be able intimidate the opposition.

When watching other teams play, here is my summary of the other team who do have these players
Panthers - Nathan Cleary, James Fisher-Harris
Storm – The 2 Camerons, Asofa-Solomona
Eels - Clinton Gutherson, Nathan Brown
Roosters - James Tedesco, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Victor Radley,Luke Keary and now SBW
Raiders – Jack Wighton, John Bateman, Josh Papalii
Rabbitohs - Cody Walker/Reynolds, Latrell Mitchell
Knights – Kalyn Ponga, David Klemmer
Sharks – Wade Graham and lately Shaun Johnson.
Warriors – RTS / Adam Blair and Jack Hetherington even those these two may not be liked much, they can still intimidate the opposition
Dragons - Zac Lomax (maybe)
Wests Tigers - Harry Grant
Titans – Cannot think of anyone but they have recruited well for next year.
Cowboys – Morgan and McGuire but both are out of form at the moment.
Broncos – Fafita for few more games and Pangai Junior when he is playing
Bulldogs – Foz and I also like the way Faitala-Mariner plays plus throw in To'omaga and Napa, they have a decent forward pack.

Which then bring me to us. We have Tommy and Jake Turbo plus DCE. Unfortunately Tommy is injured and DCE is just not playing like a premier half back and he may need an experienced half pairing that can manage the game and let DCE do the creative things. Looking at our current squad, we do not have one at present so the big question is who would come cheap enough and also bring experience. I can only think of Foz but many of you don’t want him so who can we look to sign if we do not want him as I think Cust should be the replacement hooker instead.

We have plenty of brawn, not enough science. Ironic considering the coach is known as the mad scientist.
We need a couple more play-makers with footy smarts. To guide the various man-children around the park and remind them what to do each couple of minutes.
Levi doesn't have it, Cust doesn't have it. Not yet, anyway.
And the obsession with getting 19 year-olds to come in and star is really wearing thin.
Let's find a couple of players who have at least actually played senior footy for a couple of years. Storm tried Croft and decided he didn't cut it, they are using Hughes (25) and Jacks (28).

We could do worse than get a Nicho-Hynes type? At least he's had a couple years now to mature a bit.

I'm curious as to why you make the point to exclude Turbo? Along with Walker, Turbo would seem to be the archetype of not getting value for money over years?
Turbo is of sound mind and we all know he does his upmost for the club.The whole point of my post is to highlight the stupidity of some of our players and the mistakes they have made off field which has clearly and utterly help drag our team into the mud while current players that are man enough to give their all constantly get bagged.Not to mention the mistakes they have made on field and I am not talking about drop balls either. Their mouths have got them into trouble on more than one occasion.I have said this before Walker can play when he wants but his past has bit him on the ass.Then our hooker gets himself in a mess off field while at the same time we get rid of our best hooker.Walker is not even in Turbos league mate and does not even get a look in. That’s my opinion and until proved wrong I will stick to it HK. Been supporting us too long to miss that ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, OK, I get where you're coming from now and very fair points. I'm also as frustrated and pi$$ed off with the unnecessary off-field distractions from certain players.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10