The penalty against Perret in the last 20 mins is all that is wrong with Rugby League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You made the point that we cannot change the refs so why bother.

My point is that we cannot change anything, unless you are one of the players or coaching staff then i am wrong.

Otherwise i am not the idiot here

what I was saying is we can not control what the refs do, but we can control what we do which has a bearing on how much influence the ref has in a game..

what I was saying is we can not control what the refs do, but we can control what we do which has a bearing on how much influence the ref has in a game..

please tell me what we can control?

the most fans sued to be able to achieve is sway the refs occasionally into home town penalties but as you say we cannot even do that.

The most i can see us doing is providing a story for one of those sports journos lurking to run with about how crap the refs are.

It's not all that's wrong with rugby league....
897549-todd-greenberg.jpg

according to toddy...
"You know rugby league is back to normal when we are talking about referees and judiciary decisions," Greenberg told NRL.com

lol yeh good one idiot ! seriously.... it's a disgrace. his legacy will be destroying the game

I don't want to blame the refs, but last night was definitely on the nose.

I mean.....they even had to send Shaun Lane's try upstairs and that was as clear cut a try as you can get.

Johnny Gibbs said on ABC Grandstand that whenever we scored it looked like they were looking for some excuse to take it off us.

But the worst for me was the knock-on call against DCE late in the game, after which Ross crossed for the winning try. Ponga had the ball, the Knights had possession. Yet somehow Ponga didn't knock it on, but DCE did?

what stood out to me, & I've just watched it again was that just after Daniel Saifiti was sin binned, they were allowed to hold us down in their 10 time and time again no penalties ... there should have been another binning

Have we copped some dud calls? YES
Is it frustrating ? Yes

But does anyone seriously think that the result in those games prior to tonight would have been different. 38 10 , 44 10 , 36 12!!!! Are people suggesting we were the better side ? That is delusional. Losing a cracking game involving commitment and courage to a last minute dud call is one thing. Getting flogged all over the park and blaming it on a first minute penalty is ludicrous.

And the titans score flattered us I thought. In a game that was there to be won our attack was nothing short of disgraceful.

Footy games are won with a combination of skill AND attitude.We have plenty of skill available but our attitude is appalling. In a comp with reasonably similar skills across the board games are won on whether a team turns up or not. What seem like crazy results are not crazy; they are the result of teams turning up in the right frame of mind on that day, regardless of the rosters on paper.

Good sides embrace adversity and thrive on it. Ordinary sides with an ordinary culture embrace excuses.

Last night was a low quality affair in which we had multiple chances to ice the game. They wanted it more.

We have a lot of problems at our club. Injuries, cap,coaching, roster management , lack of depth in key positions .Don’t let the refs hide the real issues.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. They did the same thing 10 times and it went unpusnished. If you watch the last 3 games it's like we are getting wipes out of games. Sorry but I jus am sick of the double standards

We beat them in every stat for once.

Had 57% of possession and heaps of chances to score.
Ran I've 1700 meters.
Less miss tackles.

We still should have won

The amount of league I am watching is nothing what it used to be and its all around the two peanuts running around blowing 20 penalties a game.

Over officiated garbage.

Get rid of one ref and let the teams play some footy.

This.

I USED to watch 5+ games. This year in particular I sit down to watch a non manly game and get 20mins in. 15 penalties given, stop and start ****.

I get up and go mowe the lawn. It's that bad a spectical.

Last edited:
Yep. The game is a laborious affair to watch now. Regimented with little flair , ubiquitous game plans , never ending whistle blowing. As fans we deserve better but in the context of our performance as a team the refs performance should be a minor distraction. Our issues are far deeper than the refs.

Here's the problem.

The ball runner hits the defensive line and the tacklers try to pin the ball to the body to ensure there in no offload. Sometimes this is done with the hand.

They're not going to let the ball go until the call of held comes. Currently, this call is coming later and later which I don't like. The tackled player is thrashing around trying to get free and who can blame them. According the refs, the tackle hasn't be completed.

When the held call finally comes, if the defender has their hand on the football to stop an offload, all of a sudden they're slowing down the play the ball.

Here's an idea for the refs. How about you call held when the player is clearly held ? These indiscriminate penalties are railroading the results of games.

Here's the problem.

The ball runner hits the defensive line and the tacklers try to pin the ball to the body to ensure there in no offload. Sometimes this is done with the hand.

They're not going to let the ball go until the call of held comes. Currently, this call is coming later and later which I don't like. The tackled player is thrashing around trying to get free and who can blame them. According the refs, the tackle hasn't be completed.

When the held call finally comes, if the defender has their hand on the football to stop an offload, all of a sudden they're slowing down the play the ball.

Here's an idea for the refs. How about you call held when the player is clearly held ? These indiscriminate penalties are railroading the results of games.
Wow. A reasoned observation from someone with some knowledge of the game, without hysteria or venting. Get out. You have no place here.

I don't want to blame the refs, but last night was definitely on the nose.

I mean.....they even had to send Shaun Lane's try upstairs and that was as clear cut a try as you can get.

Johnny Gibbs said on ABC Grandstand that whenever we scored it looked like they were looking for some excuse to take it off us.

But the worst for me was the knock-on call against DCE late in the game, after which Ross crossed for the winning try. Ponga had the ball, the Knights had possession. Yet somehow Ponga didn't knock it on, but DCE did?

Well said.....

It was frustrating to say the least the amount of times the vidiot ref needed to look at Lane’s try...and I do think they were looking for a reason to take it off us.

That call against DCE was horrendous. I was at the game and thought great we get the ball. I also saw the replay and thought yes you beauty. And then low and behold....I could not believe that the call went against us, I was absolutely disgusted.

I also have to say that Drugcastle were repeatedly offside last night and they threw at least 3 clear forward passes that I could see right in front of me. The touchie was also right in front of me and not a word did he say. But I said it loud enough for him to hear, he did not stop in front of me after that. @:rolleyes:

I am a daily reader and infrequent poster. This penalty on the 4th or 5th penalty for god knows was was an absolute disgrace. Perret was penalised for his hand on the ball at such a crucial time, for the same infirgement that had gone unpenlaised peviously in the game. Such a crucial call. I have seen so many plays since last weekend for things we have been penalised for let go. I am sick of the double standards. Marty Tupau with an "unacceptacble pay the ball" last week. I've seen 5 similar let go since. We are getting dead set robbed. I know we need to rise above, but it's hard not to feel frustreated.

Welcome @andyeagle.....!!

This is called a discretionary penalty against Manly. Clear agenda against us....saw multiple hands on the footy exactly like what Perret did. But no penalty was given.

The officials do change and control games there is no doubt about it, no matter what anyone says. Penalties given at crucial times can wear a team down and be the difference between winning and losing.

It was very frustrating to be at the game last night and incredibly disappointing.

And if I felt frustrated, I can only imagine that the players would also have been frustrated and even more so than me.

I was actually proud of Jake for giving it to the ref towards the end of the game even though he was sent off. He obviously has passion and when you blatantly see officiating inconsistencies happen in front of you, I certainly don’t blame him for firing up.

what stood out to me, & I've just watched it again was that just after Daniel Saifiti was sin binned, they were allowed to hold us down in their 10 time and time again no penalties ... there should have been another binning

Yep, I’ve heard various commentators mention this over the course of the season. It’s like as soon as they’ve sent someone to the bin for repeated infringements that the defending team know they can keep doing it. The refs haven’t got the balls or brains to send another to the bin for the exact same things, they think the job is done and then look for other things that “need” attention.

not just then but all night they held us down in the red zone. 4 or 5 penalties in the red zone but no binning, most other teams would have lost a player in that situation*

* Not playing Manly of course

No doubt we have been on receiving end of some dodgy calls. But one thing I can tell you is we lose the ruck battle in almost every game. We don’t fight to stay on our front , we don’t have urgency for quick play the balls ( this is simply attitude!) and we panic when teams play the ball quickly. It is so obvious.Technically we are awful in the ruck area. Only our hard work will change that.And a coach who opens his eyes.

Nothing will change the refs and we have copped it for years. Whining about it won’t help.In fact it makes it worse. Just ask Jake.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8