The Omen bet

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Sitting here in isolation recovering from Covid (I'm fine, but have any of you sods bothered to check on me ? :rofl:)

Anyway, watching the greyhounds as I've been known to have a bet or three and came across a dog in the 11th at Bendigo called Eadie. Backed in from $15 to $4.60 and I thought should I ? The favourite was pretty short and had a good record.

As luck would have it, I didn't and it ran second by about a half length, so not a terrible run by any stretch.

But was just wondering, has anyone ever just gone the omen bet based purely on the name and it's gotten up ? I'm sure we've got some good stories out there and bonus points if it's Manly related.

Can you tell I'm getting a bit bored ? 3 days to go.

Oh, I forgot......gamble responsibly. Or better still, not at all.

Last edited:
Not a punter, but back in the 70's a bloke gave me a sure fire tip at Randwick,

Come the Saturday I was shopping and passes a tab, so I decided to put $5 on it ... I went in and couldn't remember the name but remembered that it had to do with gold .. can't remember the real horse names now.

So i looked through the race guide and in the 4th race Golden Mace was running so i put the lot on a win ... it won as an outsider and paid 25-1 .. happy days.

On monday my mate rang me and apologized for the dud tip .. marigold came 4th in the 7th.

After much laughter I bought him lunch.

Not a punter, but back in the 70's a bloke gave me a sure fire tip at Randwick,

Come the Saturday I was shopping and passes a tab, so I decided to put $5 on it ... I went in and couldn't remember the name but remembered that it had to do with gold .. can't remember the real horse names now.

So i looked through the race guide and in the 4th race Golden Mace was running so i put the lot on a win ... it won as an outsider and paid 25-1 .. happy days.

On monday my mate rang me and apologized for the dud tip .. marigold came 4th in the 7th.

After much laughter I bought him lunch.

That's, dare I say it.....GOLD.

Sitting here in isolation recovering from Covid (I'm fine, but have any of you sods bothered to check on me ? :rofl:)

Anyway, watching the greyhounds as I've been known to have a bet or three and came across a dog in the 11th at Bendigo called Eadie. Backed in from $15 to $4.60 and I thought should I ? The favourite was pretty short and had a good record.

As luck would have it, I didn't and it ran second by about a half length, so not a terrible run by any stretch.

But was just wondering, has anyone ever just gone the omen bet based purely on the name and it's gotten up ? I'm sure we've got some good stories out there and bonus points if it's Manly related.

Can you tell I'm getting a bit bored ? 3 days to go
Long time ago but I backed Vintage Crop and Brew because they were loosely related to my intoxicant of choice at the time.

Don't mind a punt myself mate
Often take a punt, try keep it to weekends as when I have a go - it's a decent show...
The sports room jumps from races over to footy in the arvo and the bar offers refreshments
Ok....the name thing
My betting usually is based on high raters at good odds and also names definitely are a go....family or friends names and like yourself, like a crack at any "Eagles" or Players names
A funny story....from maybe 20 years ago !!
I called a client and got the wrong number
A friendly old bloke who answered started having a chat and ended up being a trainer....I ask "got any tips mate"
He says "I have a horse that will be any odds named Green Mailer, but has a legit chance"
On that I check Saturday and get on....it's scratched, so the next weekend I wasn't having a punt till my gf had to work.
By chance I drop into the TAB and there it is - Greenmailer
I throw a $6 trifecta on at 50% and guess what....he leads all the way and the others come in
They read out dividends and I almost pass out - Green mailer paid $86 😅
The tri paid $7,500, so got a cool $3,750 for my $6 outlay.....

Don't mind a punt myself mate
Often take a punt, try keep it to weekends as when I have a go - it's a decent show...
The sports room jumps from races over to footy in the arvo and the bar offers refreshments
Ok....the name thing
My betting usually is based on high raters at good odds and also names definitely are a go....family or friends names and like yourself, like a crack at any "Eagles" or Players names
A funny story....from maybe 20 years ago !!
I called a client and got the wrong number
A friendly old bloke who answered started having a chat and ended up being a trainer....I ask "got any tips mate"
He says "I have a horse that will be any odds named Green Mailer, but has a legit chance"
On that I check Saturday and get on....it's scratched, so the next weekend I wasn't having a punt till my gf had to work.
By chance I drop into the TAB and there it is - Greenmailer
I throw a $6 trifecta on at 50% and guess what....he leads all the way and the others come in
They read out dividends and I almost pass out - Green mailer paid $86 😅
The tri paid $7,500, so got a cool $3,750 for my $6 outlay.....

Wow mate. I thought I was good having a few bucks on Simple Simon at Richmond 20 minutes ago paying $2.90.

Great effort.

I'm relieved - I thought the thread title was a premonition of Manly player number 666:

1647415698932.png

Wow mate. I thought I was good having a few bucks on Simple Simon at Richmond 20 minutes ago paying $2.90.

Great effort.
In my life, luckiest series of events ever
That was about 20 years ago and nothing like it since....still love my Saturday punt with a few bourbons 🤙

You're allowed a phone or computer, that's not fair...you're living a grand life my friend.

Anyway... a few year back there was a horse crawling around in northern Qld called Jake the peg. My son's name was Jake and he's rather tall and thin....won 4 in a row around $8, they had to put the horse down , guess I can't do that with my son.

at work we had a tipping syndicate where everyone got a turn to bet, when my turn came around it was during cricket season and i found 2 horses running with the names 'medium swing' & 'lots of swing". being a left arm straight swing bowler i backed both of them. that night was our work party & when i arrived i found out one of them paid $2 for the place but the other won & paid $33

Hello.

Just checking in with you to see if urok?

ruok?

Err... I know stuff all about horses except to do the old joke:
I backed a horse once at twenty to one.
the bugger finished at a quarter past three!

However, I was once at a horse race day (see I dunno even what they're called) and a horse's jockey had the same name as the mate who bought me my entry ticket, so I bet on that horse.
And it won (lol).
I think $20 got turned into $100 or something like that.

that's all folks.

Get well soon.

Not quite the topic but a distant relative.

I used to go to the races a lot as a kid with my grandparents, probably because my great grandfather and my great, great uncle both rode Melbourne Cup winners at the end of the century before last. As I grew up, I lost interest in the horses (such magnificent beasts) and just got on with having a great time in my twenties.

One Saturday my best friend and her boyfriend had organised for a bunch of us to go to the races. Members at Randwick, the whole nine yards. My friend and I were about to put our bets on (looking for the omen bet, based entirely on names - there's the link!) when her bloke's best mate raced up and said to wait til some other bloke came with the tips.

Low and behold, the list he eventually presented us with gave us seven winners and a second.

The blokes were all Federal Police. 'Nuff said.

Not into the races but about 30 years ago, I arranged to hold my managers meeting at Canterbury races. Only one of the guys knew anything about horses. While we were eating he mentioned a horse and said that it was a Saturday horse running on a Wednesday. We all stopped, stood up and went to place our bets. The horse won easily at 6 to 1.

Went to see Raiders of the Lost Ark at the cinema with a mate when it first came out. We went to the pub afterwards and he was reading the paper. Here's a horse called Seekers Gold he said, must be an omen, think I'll put twenty bucks on it ( a schooner was about $1 back then).......don't be an idiot I said, there's a reason it's 100/1, blah,blah, blah....luckily he ignored my sage advice.

Remember seeing Arkle win at The Curragh. Normally the old lady would come with us. This time the old man said " I'm just taking the boys". We drove there in an old Ford Anglia, came home in a brand new Ford Cortina....... If he'd lost the old lady would have necked him. I remember stopping in the pub in Mullingar.

Last edited:
Not a story of an omen bet but back in the early 90s I remember a white greyhound going around by the name of Larry Corowa that had unbackable odds of 1/11 in a race I watched hahaha

Just picked some chick in betting on the Batchelor on Sportsbet. Never seen the show. Got up. Haha

A bloke called Greg who used to drink at the Narrabeen Antler late '70's. Homeless and used to pick **** out of bins....I've boxed a trifecta in the next race for $10 said Greg....no you haven't you ****ing idiot, it only costs $6 to box a three horse trifecta said some dickhead, you've backed it straight out. The trifecta paid three grand, Greg had it ten times. He bought a motorcycle and had a lot of friends. Last time I saw him he had snot in his beard and he was picking through bins. He seemed quite happy. I hope his fairweather friends are pleased.

Remember seeing Arkle win at The Curragh. Normally the old lady would come with us. This time the old man said " I'm just taking the boys". We drove there in an old Ford Anglia, came home in a brand new Ford Cortina....... If he'd lost the old lady would have necked him. I remember stopping in the pub in Mullingar.
Arkle now. That run must have taken a fair bit out of him.
1647559049311.png

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8