The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would imagine if another club picked up The Shoe it would be a short term contract to play off the bench. His role would be to create scoring opportunities. He'd only be used when the team was chasing points. It would be a 'hail Mary' type role. If it came off The Shoe would be money well spent; if not he wouldn't face any criticism as the team was already behind on the scoreboard.
The Shoe may not be suited to playing 80 minutes of NRL-standard football; he may simply not have the motor. Despite his best efforts to improve his fitness The Shoe may only ever find his place in NRL as an impact player from the bench.

Sad situation. I always maintained he needed time to resolve his issues. Regrettably too much time has expired and I don't blame Manly for their decision, though I've felt in the past decade there's been a tendency by the Club to show lack of patience and to seek quick fix solutions. I feel this is why the club has struggled by letting young players slip through their grasp and trying to solve the problem buying average first graders, a bit like Wests do. I am not though saying this is the case regarding Schuster. They have tried hard to resolve issues that seem too deeply entrenched at this stage. I still suspect Schuster will mature into a very good footballer. But not at this stage. Too many skeletons in his cupboard. Needs to get some serious psych assistance. Regretfully it seems his chances at Manly have ended.

I'm trying not to let my bias towards Manly make me take sides but I do think Mestrov is thinking sensibly when it comes to Josh. If they can't reach an amicable agreement i think it could make other clubs even more wary than they are now.
If they do reach a monartary agreement on the basis that Josh just needs some time away from the game, that's more understandable. But, if it starts getting ugly and Manly are forced to make it a performance based decision I just can't see how that's going to endear Josh to another club if or when he decides he wants to return. .

I'm trying not to let my bias towards Manly make me take sides but I do think Mestrov is thinking sensibly when it comes to Josh. If they can't reach an amicable agreement i think it could make other clubs even more wary than they are now.
If they do reach a monartary agreement on the basis that Josh just needs some time away from the game, that's more understandable. But, if it starts getting ugly and Manly are forced to make it a performance based decision I just can't see how that's going to endear Josh to another club if or when he decides he wants to return. .
Yep! We said that about Des too! No discrimination…. “ it’s a results based business”

Just sayin’

Sad situation. I always maintained he needed time to resolve his issues. Regrettably too much time has expired and I don't blame Manly for their decision, though I've felt in the past decade there's been a tendency by the Club to show lack of patience and to seek quick fix solutions. I feel this is why the club has struggled by letting young players slip through their grasp and trying to solve the problem buying average first graders, a bit like Wests do. I am not though saying this is the case regarding Schuster. They have tried hard to resolve issues that seem too deeply entrenched at this stage. I still suspect Schuster will mature into a very good footballer. But not at this stage. Too many skeletons in his cupboard. Needs to get some serious psych assistance. Regretfully it seems his chances at Manly have ended.
Yep. You've kicked that one out of the park. Well said.

It is with regret that it has come to this. I think all of us wanted to see Josh Schuster be successful, as a 16 year old he was a world beater, he came into first grade in 2021 and showed his talent and potential in a steady team that exceeded expectations.

From 2022 he has been a major disappointment! Injuries, loss of form were clearly evident. It appeared that he was not enjoying his football and without question he had other things on his mind and his focus was not there.

The club gave him every opportunity, let go Kieran Foran to allow him to have a crack at the 5/8 role. He was warned by the coach, DCE and Co about his effort and commitment and the club awarded him a new contract which based on performance he scarlessly deserved!

The club did the right thing and called time on him. You cannot have a player on the money he is earning wallowing in reserve grade. I saw him play all of those four games and he is a shadow of that 2021 form, apart from the odd glimpse, he looked disinterested and demotivated and it is sad to see a young player like that be in this place.

I appreciate that he is grieving for his pal, Keith Titmuss, watching that unfold would be a trauma to first of all witness, then the aftermath of a coroners enquiry about the reasons for his passing.

I saw the potential he had, that has not left him, what he needs is to clear his head, take a break if needed and then if his heart is in it. try building his career at another club.

It pains me that it wont be for Manly, I really believed he was going to be a very special player, he might still be someday.

Right now, his focus is on getting his mind right.

Good luck Josh!

A few people on here have compared Josh to Olsen Filipaina and as an older rugby league fan I reckon that's pretty close to the mark. I remember Filipaina having unbelievable ballplaying skills and he could turn a game in an instant. But I also remember him bouncing between firsts and reserves on regular basis and in his 7 years of playing footy he only chalked up a tad over a hundred first grade games.
Like most of us on here im not trying to put Josh down, I just think it's going to take a huge effort from any club to change his genetics and his general make-up. Many of us here could see that before we extended him on the big dollars at the end of last year.
Yes you're right Andrew, I remember Filipaina being selected for NZ from reserves for Balmain where he was just going through the motions and always playing a blinder against Australia, he had the same lackadaisical attitude to club football as Schuster. Schuster is a major disappointment, he offered so much and gave so little, I doubt that anyone will unlock the obvious talent this kid has, such a waste

I'm not sure if this has been posted / commented on (I went back 3 pages) - so here it is:

edit: - I see it was touched on in the Mestrov thread.

Josh Schuster could be gone from Manly "by the end of the week" according to chief executive Tony Mestrov, with the embattled star set to be released.

Mestrov revealed that while a decision hasn't been finalised, Schuster has likely played his last game for the Sea Eagles and a decision may be imminent.

"Discussions are happening with Josh and his manager," he told SEN Radio.

"At the moment we haven't negotiated anything. I doubt Josh will be back playing for the Manly Sea Eagles and then we'll come to a deal, hopefully by the end of the week.

"Josh needs to go onto another club to fulfil his potential, I think everyone agrees with that. His time hasn't worked out here and we wish him all the best."

Schuster's fitness and weight has been a major concern during his tenure at Manly - something Mestrov acknowledged - but the club are now hopeful of a resolution that keeps the young gun's best interests in mind.

"There are performance clauses, but we don't want to go down that road," he said.

"It's not like we're all kind of there and pulling from each side, (we all have) Josh's best interests at heart, Josh wants to go and get another opportunity, he admitted it.

"Also (we have) touched base with the NRL, I think the first thing is to ensure that Josh's wellbeing and welfare is okay, obviously there's some issues there, we want to make sure he's doing ok, he's using some of our people here in the welfare department.

"I think it's been done in the best interests of Josh and the club."

I'm not sure if this has been posted / commented on (I went back 3 pages) - so here it is:

edit: - I see it was touched on in the Mestrov thread.

Josh Schuster could be gone from Manly "by the end of the week" according to chief executive Tony Mestrov, with the embattled star set to be released.

Mestrov revealed that while a decision hasn't been finalised, Schuster has likely played his last game for the Sea Eagles and a decision may be imminent.

"Discussions are happening with Josh and his manager," he told SEN Radio.

"At the moment we haven't negotiated anything. I doubt Josh will be back playing for the Manly Sea Eagles and then we'll come to a deal, hopefully by the end of the week.

"Josh needs to go onto another club to fulfil his potential, I think everyone agrees with that. His time hasn't worked out here and we wish him all the best."

Schuster's fitness and weight has been a major concern during his tenure at Manly - something Mestrov acknowledged - but the club are now hopeful of a resolution that keeps the young gun's best interests in mind.

"There are performance clauses, but we don't want to go down that road," he said.

"It's not like we're all kind of there and pulling from each side, (we all have) Josh's best interests at heart, Josh wants to go and get another opportunity, he admitted it.

"Also (we have) touched base with the NRL, I think the first thing is to ensure that Josh's wellbeing and welfare is okay, obviously there's some issues there, we want to make sure he's doing ok, he's using some of our people here in the welfare department.

"I think it's been done in the best interests of Josh and the club."
Thanks for the latest and last Schuster Manly chapter @globaleagle
The Manly club gave the Schu every opportunity to Shine but Josh seems like a lost Soul .
We hope he finds himself and wish him all the best but not when he plays against Manly

Feel sorry for the kid , this needs to be over pronto and then the balls firmly in his court as to the next step.

I’d suggest a club will give him a train & trial contract , go back to basics , get fit and start again.

Wonder if we can add a other forward to our roster at the end of June with the money saved

Feel sorry for the kid , this needs to be over pronto and then the balls firmly in his court as to the next step.

I’d suggest a club will give him a train & trial contract , go back to basics , get fit and start again.

Wonder if we can add a other forward to our roster at the end of June with the money saved

Maybe we could let him go....then.... we sign him on a train and trail contract! 🫣
I mean I'm definitely over him, but as the famous Silvertails mantra goes "at the right price!"

Maybe we could let him go....then.... we sign him on a train and trail contract! 🫣
I mean I'm definitely over him, but as the famous Silvertails mantra goes "at the right price!"
Yes because really it’s the $625k for nothing that’s the issue , at $110k in the hope he comes good , yeah maybe

Wonder if Josh will be expected to resume training and playing in a few weeks for Blacktown and after his time off [ and certainly not begrudging him that ] and also if no other club will most likely not show much interest in bringing him on board during his time off
Or as some has suggested , he may have played his last game as a contracted Manly player
Will be some feat if Manly can be a serious titles contender at seasons end and with that purported[ Shu "s ] 625 or 800 k salary cap amount as a bit of a handicap .
Then again , did O K in the initial stages of the 2019 finals serious minus Turbo and his quite hefty contract value factor so probably not that unprecedented in the overall sense then if that does eventuate

I'm finding it difficult to believe the 'narrative' about it "being in the best interests of Josh to find a new club". Nowhere have I read as to why leaving the club is the best idea. My theory is that he's fallen out with some of the playing group. Without any first hand knowledge I can imagine how some players may have taunted The Shoe about his overblown salary, his form with Blacktown and questioned if he was truly committed to the club. From sarcastic comments former close friendships could have soured and he is no longer welcomed as part of the top squad.
I doubt club officials would have played a part; I can only imagine them trying to get The Shoe to peak fitness and a positive head space.
I liken his decline to that of many kids who are bullied by classmates at school. Of course, this is purely speculation on my part.

I'm finding it difficult to believe the 'narrative' about it "being in the best interests of Josh to find a new club". Nowhere have I read as to why leaving the club is the best idea. My theory is that he's fallen out with some of the playing group. Without any first hand knowledge I can imagine how some players may have taunted The Shoe about his overblown salary, his form with Blacktown and questioned if he was truly committed to the club. From sarcastic comments former close friendships could have soured and he is no longer welcomed as part of the top squad.
I doubt club officials would have played a part; I can only imagine them trying to get The Shoe to peak fitness and a positive head space.
I liken his decline to that of many kids who are bullied by classmates at school. Of course, this is purely speculation on my part.
Shouldn't use the "B" word on a hunch. I watched a couple of games he was played at Blacktown specially to watch him and IMO he was kicking cans down the street. We really don't know why however what is not in doubt is that he has failed to show the hunger and determination to succeed. Doesn't matter how much talent you have if you don't do the hard work you can't perform at the top level. I wouldn't be blaming the other players in the top squad or the coaching staff. One has to take ownership of their own performance. However, we should not forget that he is a still a very young man and dealing with the painful loss of a friend. Sometimes if things come to too easy and that doesn't provide a platform upon which the tools to deal with adversity can be developed. I wish him well and hope he finds that hunger again and reaches his potential.

Yay fat face is going….pity he couldn’t put the same amount of passion into his footy as he does with kfc…maybe he can link up with des and wear an ankle alarm so when ever he goes anywhere near kfc or maccas or tries to get Uber delivery on the sly it will notify des and des will hurry to the scene just in time before the first bite..who knows…it would make a good doco

I think what I wrote earlier is pretty close to the mark.. other than maybe I should now add that the Shu's manager realises that as Manly have to pay the difference to any deal he signs with a new club that this will allow for more opportunities from a signing perspective.
So in reality he could sign a $170k train and trial and Manly still pay out the difference for this season only and under his 2024 contract, he already been paid for 5 months as contracts end 1st Nov..so Manly already paid a big chunk.
Even if he is on 800k he's been paid $330k,if he's picked up the club may only need to pay another $300k max, but I bet his manager would be looking to sign for more and Manly would be happy with this as the more he signs for elsewhere the less we pay..
He then backs Josh to perform and go for a bigger contact from 25 onwards.
so this is why on the Surface the club and his manager are talking about having Josh's best interest at heart.. it's business

I think what I wrote earlier is pretty close to the mark.. other than maybe I should now add that the Shu's manager realises that as Manly have to pay the difference to any deal he signs with a new club that this will allow for more opportunities from a signing perspective.
So in reality he could sign a $170k train and trial and Manly still pay out the difference for this season only and under his 2024 contract, he already been paid for 5 months as contracts end 1st Nov..so Manly already paid a big chunk.
Even if he is on 800k he's been paid $330k,if he's picked up the club may only need to pay another $300k max, but I bet his manager would be looking to sign for more and Manly would be happy with this as the more he signs for elsewhere the less we pay..
He then backs Josh to perform and go for a bigger contact from 25 onwards.
so this is why on the Surface the club and his manager are talking about having Josh's best interest at heart.. it's business
Pretty sure a train and trial deal is a mandated $1000 a week. I also don't think Manly are too concerned if they have to pay the full value of his contract for this season. They just want to avoid the next contract ticking over.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
  • lsz
    First Grader

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12