The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Honestly if you look at the role Waddel played when he came onto the field it is not something that the Shu could do.

I would suggest it would a combination of wanting him to get more minutes under his belt & Seibold wanting more energy / high work rate off the bench.

That is not saying he is a better player than the Shu just we might be looking for balance on the bench
Interesting part is @lsz that the role which Schu is being groomed for is not dissimilar to the role that Corey played for us before he left… generally because we could not keep Sirro on the paddock…
I believe that’s irony… or coincidence… or maybe synergy…

I'm suggesting Schu could come off the bench? I'm just relaying that it would be outside the ordinary for him to come on and play on an edge, because typically edge forwards play 80 minutes. Not saying it won't or shouldn't happen, just pointing out that not many teams sub their edge forwards with other edge forwards from the bench (unless there is an injury mid-game). Most teams use a utility to cover 9 and then have 3 other forwards. Two of which are usually strictly props, followed by a more versatile middle/backrow (Waddell for example).

Burbo is an edge forward too..so i'm just saying what's the difference on who starts or comes on from the bench..my point is that's not unusual as it was our teams plan anyway

I think it does. @Andrew.. He demonstrated that pretty well in 2021, but since that season, he has been unable to consistently back that up for 80 minutes. I don't think he has the fitness, mental strength, or internal fortitude required to play NRL as an 80-minute player.

The answer might be to job share the lock role with Nathan Brown. In this scenario, Jake starts at prop and stays there for the full 80 minutes. Brown is the starting lock, with Schuster coming into the match after 20-25 minutes. Brown comes back into the lock role after the halftime break, with Schuster closing out the game after 20/25 minutes.

Potentially (utilising this scenario), our best pack and reserves could look something like this:

Paseka
Croker
Jake
Olakau'atu
Burbo
Brown

Schuster
Bullemore
Lodge
Aloiai
If you are saying that Josh and Nathan share the lock role and Jake plays 80 mins at prop why would you have 3 middles on the bench to cover Paseka? Think you would be better to have Lawton, Gordon or Humphrey's as the utility leaving out Aloiai.

I think if we win games, players don't/shouldn't lose their spot, regardless of who's returning (name, reputation, price tag). Injuries happen, I get it, but if it happens, a player should then run the risk of losing their spot, if the replacement puts us in a position of winning.

Reward success.

Harsh, but fair in my opinion.

I think if we win games, players don't/shouldn't lose their spot, regardless of who's returning (name, reputation, price tag). Injuries happen, I get it, but if it happens, a player should then run the risk of losing their spot, if the replacement puts us in a position of winning.

Reward success.

So if Turbo out for one match when we play & win against the Tigers, you wouldn't bring him back the following game when we play Panthers or Roosters?

Schu is cooked

it’s his defence that is the real issue as he doesn’t put his body on the line
That comes in time , as confidence grows. He just needs a consistent injury / form free period of just playing , getting fit, building chemistry with both his inside and outside defenders etc.

So if Turbo out for one match when we play & win against the Tigers, you wouldn't bring him back the following game when we play Panthers or Roosters?
Injured. One match is an illness. I'd probably say if a players out for 3 or so games, and yes, for mine, that includes Turbo. His inclusion and exclusion to and from the team has been exceptionally disruptive over so many years.

If Koula goes back there and is tearing the NRL apart like he did at the backend if last season, absolutely my point would stand.

And I know that would be an unpopular opinion, but my loyalty is to the team, not individual players anymore.

Injured. One match is an illness. I'd probably say if a players out for 3 or so games, and yes, for mine, that includes Turbo. His inclusion and exclusion to and from the team has been exceptionally disruptive over so many years.

If Koula goes back there and is tearing the NRL apart like he did at the backend if last season, absolutely my point would stand.

And I know that would be an unpopular opinion, but my loyalty is to the team, not individual players anymore.
When judging form or a players value to a team sample size matters.
Turbo DCE and Jake have so many runs on the board it'd take a lot more than 3 good games to convince me that they should be left out of the team. I'd also include Garrick and Guac in that tier just behind the other 3.

Completely agree when it comes to our fringe players as well as the Schu v Burbo case but there are definitely exceptions.

Burbo is an edge forward too..so i'm just saying what's the difference on who starts or comes on from the bench..my point is that's not unusual as it was our teams plan anyway
Because they’re completely different footballers. I can’t see Ben coming off the bench to ball play in the middle third, after the bash up in the first 20 minutes, can you?

Reward success.

Agree in principle but could you imagine if DCE got injured a few rounds out from finals and then could not get back in front of the replacement half because Turbo was dragging us on his back (ala 2021)…
There are SOME players that have earned the right to walk straight back in - DCE, Tom, Jake, Guac, Frog, Sandwich (imo)…

Because they’re completely different footballers. I can’t see Ben coming off the bench to ball play in the middle third, after the bash up in the first 20 minutes, can you?

So tell me if the Shu starts ( like most of us thought including the coaching staff) Burbo was on the bench.. and in the modern game a second rower (edge forward) on the bench is normal.. so why can't Shu play from the bench..your original post regarding second rower coming off the bench as being " highly unusual" or "a fresh tactical approach" is what I'm questioning you about

You wrote:
"To have Haumole (not going to happen) or Ben T sub off because there is another edge forward on the pine, would be highly unusual. It could happen but it would be a fresh tactical approach by Seibold, not common practice."

If you are saying that Josh and Nathan share the lock role and Jake plays 80 mins at prop why would you have 3 middles on the bench to cover Paseka? Think you would be better to have Lawton, Gordon or Humphrey's as the utility leaving out Aloiai.
Fair call, @rosco. However, it's not just about covering Paseka. It's about potentially utilising the prop rotation more effectively. I don't think any of our props (Jake excepted) should play more than 15/20-minute stints. I would play Paseka for 15, Bullemore for 20, Lodge for 20 (5 before halftime, 15 after halftime), Paseka for 15, and then bring Aloia in for the last 10. Aloiai also provides cover (lock, edge, prop) for any injuries in the pack in the first 70 minutes.

We could also give Bullemore some time on an edge in the second half if necessary. Croker played 75/80 minutes in half of his games last season. As the utility, Lawton, Gordon or Humphries could only get 5/10 minutes at best off the pine. Yes, it means we are really relying on Jake and Croker, perhaps over-relying, but I think this situation will be our reality for quite some time.

Don't think anyone on here has said it yet but does anyone else think that schuster's career is like to like to bryce cartwrights. when carty started off he had all the flick passes, little kicks and high risk plays very similar to schuster now. But with brad arthur he's been able to find the balance into finding his running game / 1 percenters as well as still having his high skills set and using them more effectively.
This should give seibs and schuster motivation as there are ball playing back rowers in the modern. Also, i think that fans should acknowledge that he won't be a back rower like liam martin who based all of his game off effort.
Hopefully, schuster can take a few pointers from cartwright's form

Don't think anyone on here has said it yet but does anyone else think that schuster's career is like to like to bryce cartwrights. when carty started off he had all the flick passes, little kicks and high risk plays very similar to schuster now. But with brad arthur he's been able to find the balance into finding his running game / 1 percenters as well as still having his high skills set and using them more effectively.
This should give seibs and schuster motivation as there are ball playing back rowers in the modern. Also, i think that fans should acknowledge that he won't be a back rower like liam martin who based all of his game off effort.
Hopefully, schuster can take a few pointers from cartwright's form

Ron E Gibs mentioned the Cartwright comparison on post # 6410 towards the end of Feb..

It is a reasonable comparison

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8