The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There would be a player every week that thought he was good to go and failed a fitness test. You are obviously not a seibold fan that’s your choice. Haven’t played great but sitting in the top 8. I’m pretty happy with him. Loved Des but his pressers were like getting teeth pulled.
Whilst Des' pressers were frustrating for us fans who wanted answers after a loss, I thought they were entertaining in a different way. The sheer nonsense and rambling as he counted down the clock was absolutely brilliant in that he never actually said anything, and the thought of the ensuing frustration and puzzlement of the journos still makes me chuckle to this day.

What's immediately obvious about this thread is that there are two factions; Schuster fans and sceptics.

The sceptics believe he is overweight, lazy, and overpaid at 800k. He is the cause of his injuries due to a lack of professionalism.

The fans believe he is suffering from bad luck and poor management at the hands of our coaching staff, he is not lazy, and his 800k figure is an inflated falsity, sprouted by spineless News Limited journos.

Neither are prepared to budge on their position, and yet spend copious amounts of time angrily trying to convince the other of their superior insights.

The truth is probably somewhere in between both extremes.

Personally, I sympathise with Josh in the sense that his body is letting him down. He is a human being after all and if he is struggling to sustain motivation and find discipline in the way he eats, trains, and rehabilitates injuries, that is not cause for ridicule, hatred or condemnation. He is just a kid and he will learn. He will bounce back.

In saying that, one does not need to be Einstein to read between the lines of what's been said publicly in the media. To deny that there is an issue going on behind closed doors, that it's all a manufactured media ****storm, is extremely naive. He did work hard in the most recent preseason after publicly stating that DCE gave him a bake and he responded. Does that mean he will never falter again? Of course not. The idea that he has 'slipped' into bad habits again, is not so far fetched for a player with self-confessed shortcomings. The long and the short of it is, something's up again.

Personally, I believe he is on close to the 800k deal speculated, in spite of it being signed in 2021. He was earmarked/promised the 6 jumper long before Foz even considered a home coming. We're told it was a condition of his signature at the time. The deal could have been incremental (i.e. 500k in 21, 600k in 22 and 800k in 23, etc.). Time will tell if it's a smart investment but if that's what Josh was offered, he is entitled to sign it. That's my personal belief but certainly not a fact. I tend to think unless you've seen the contract with your own eyes, it's hypocritical to emphatically state the 800k figure is made up...maybe it is 'made up' but suggesting that it definitely was, is no better or worse than making up the initial figure in the first place.

Talented player? Yes.
On lots of money? Yes.
Work to do? Yes.

Last edited:
What's immediately obvious about this thread is that there are two factions; Schuster fans and sceptics.

The sceptics believe he is overweight, lazy, and overpaid at 800k. He is the cause of his injuries due to a lack of professionalism.

The fans believe he is suffering from bad luck and poor management at the hands of our coaching staff, he is not lazy, and his 800k figure is an inflated falsity, sprouted by spineless News Limited journos.

Neither are prepared to budge on their position, and yet spend copious amounts of time angrily trying to convince the other of their superior insights.

The truth is probably somewhere in between both extremes.

Personally, I sympathise with Josh in the sense that his body is letting him down. He is a human being after all and if he is struggling to sustain motivation and find discipline in the way he eats, trains, and rehabilitates injuries, that is not cause for ridicule, hatred or condemnation. He is just a kid and he will learn. He will bounce back.

In saying that, one does not need to be Einstein to read between the lines of what's been said publicly in the media. To deny that there is an issue going on behind closed doors, that it's all a manufactured media ****storm, is extremely naive. He did work hard in the most recent preseason after publicly stating that DCE gave him a bake and he responded. Does that mean he will never falter again? Of course not. The idea that he has 'slipped' into bad habits again, is not so far fetched for a player with self-confessed shortcomings. The long and the short of it is, something's up again.

Personally, I believe he is on close to the 800k deal speculated, in spite of it being signed in 2021. He was earmarked/promised the 6 jumper long before Foz even considered a home coming. We're told it was a condition of his signature at the time. The deal could have been incremental (i.e. 500k in 21, 600k in 22 and 800k in 23, etc.). Time will tell if it's a smart investment but if that's what Josh was offered, he is entitled to sign it. That's my personal belief but certainly not a fact. I tend to think unless you've seen the contract with your own eyes, it's hypocritical to emphatically state the 800k figure is made up...maybe it is 'made up' but suggesting that it definitely was, is no better or worse than making up the initial figure in the first place.

Talented player? Yes.
On lots of money? Yes.
Work to do? Yes.
I believe most people think he’s a terrific talent and could be anything.The sceptics think he has a touch of Moses Suli about him,could take a few years to work out what it takes to be a professional athlete

He is a human being after all and if he is struggling to sustain motivation and find discipline in the way he eats, trains, and rehabilitates injuries, that is not cause for ridicule, hatred or condemnation. He is just a kid and he will learn. He will bounce back.
You are probably right about 2 factions of fans but I don't agree with your description of them. No-one (or no-one I've noticed) has expressed ridicule hatred or condemnation.

However there are some (and I'm one) who had huge hopes for Schu this year and I'm now thinking those were unrealistic. Which is not Schu's fault, it's mine.

You are probably right about 2 factions of fans but I don't agree with your description of them. No-one (or no-one I've noticed) has expressed ridicule hatred or condemnation.

However there are some (and I'm one) who had huge hopes for Schu this year and I'm now thinking those were unrealistic. Which is not Schu's fault, it's mine.
Shuie is naturally a big boy I don’t see why he needs to play 6. He didn’t really have these problems the last two seasons. Personally would play him at lock and bring in Weekes at 6

Shuie is naturally a big boy I don’t see why he needs to play 6. He didn’t really have these problems the last two seasons. Personally would play him at lock and bring in Weekes at 6
I tend to agree. As long as he plays in the halves, he'll always face questions about his size and weight.

There have been big bodies at five-eight before - Wally Lewis, Laurie Daley and Jason Smith spring to mind. And then there was Owen Craigie. Going back further, he reminds me a little of Olsen Filipaina, who was always bog ordinary when he played for the Tigers but excelled for the Kiwis. Of course, Josh is potentially more skilful than all of them.

I tend to agree. As long as he plays in the halves, he'll always face questions about his size and weight.

There have been big bodies at five-eight before - Wally Lewis, Laurie Daley and Jason Smith spring to mind. And then there was Owen Craigie. Going back further, he reminds me a little of Olsen Filipaina, who was always bog ordinary when he played for the Tigers but excelled for the Kiwis. Of course, Josh is potentially more skilful than all of them.
I don’t doubt he can be an elite 6 definitely got the talent but it’s obviously putting strain on his body to getting leaner. If we move him to lock I think we get the best out of him and also opens up a spot for weekes in our team

Maybe so, however the club has realistic hopes for him and signed him up for over 800k a season

Being realistic he's been underwhelming, given a few glimpses of ability he's not been consistent, fit, aggressive, playmaker.... all the things he said he could do and not provide.

Think he's could really be a lemon, full of confidence, unable to perform. Sounds like Anthony Mundine except Mundine stayed fit.

Similarly, TT is in the same boat... $2 mil (with Schuster) on the sidelines more than on the field. We seriously need to make a call.

Somewhat over it, they are like my last girlfriend, promise a lot but don't deliver.

If you go back and have a look, he was called "soft" "KFC Slug" and "Tampon". I'm not offended or crusading, just suggesting that in spite of his injuries (be it self-inflicted or bad luck), we should be kind and forgiving of a fellow human being. That's all.
I’m guilty , I’ve labeled him and Tommy “ the Tissue Brothers”, and also stated he’s was more out than in.

But I certainly never used the other words.

Could Shoe be missing Donny Singe?
I think he worked with him over the off season.
Maybe the new trainers are not a match for him?

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8