The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
The debate about what makes a 13 is largely dependant in the balance of the rest of the pack

For manly if jake is to play prop and long minutes our 13 needs to provide some go forward as jakes impact in this area is at the lower end. Jake previously needed to play long minutes as paseka, keppie in the past and a few others lacked mobility in the defence line. This has also made croker more important

brown seems to have the balance in this certain situation as he is a runner, for short stints however I see burbo and possibly waddell a better fit overall due to workload and more variety and work in there games

you would think with waddell and brown coming and keppie going that jake is destined for more prop rotation.

the smokey is if jake was to be a bench prop which seems unlikely

manly could improve everyones pack numbers, and reliance , by simply having a better share of possession more often. Our lack of focus on anything other than handling errors has us on the back foot before kickoff

our team regularly is on the wrong side of possession, particularly in the first half when the game is on the line, meaning we need to select for different circumstances than teams that do better in these areas.

when we look and talk about attitude that needs adjusting, nothing needs attention more than our kicking game the chase amd the opportunity to compete for the ball with chasers being onside and in the game. We make oppositions back 5 jobs far too easy and then marvel at there ability when compared to ours

having to give opposition catchers 10m with no opportunity to pressure or play at the ball fat too often is a major influence on our game, style and possession outcomes.

lets build a pack for 50/50 not 60/40

I don't think Schu lacks technique. In fact all his shortcomings so far can probably be put down to one thing - attitude. Sounds like a simple fix but the mind is a complex thing..
Agree… effort first last and always but I have seen him get himself flat footed for the contact many times and a simple pivot leaves him grasping air…

My observation is that he needs to lean in to the contact and drive rather than bracing for impact… easier said than done obviously and he ain’t Robinson Crusoe when it comes to poor tackling…

The debate about what makes a 13 is largely dependant in the balance of the rest of the pack

For manly if jake is to play prop and long minutes our 13 needs to provide some go forward as jakes impact in this area is at the lower end. Jake previously needed to play long minutes as paseka, keppie in the past and a few others lacked mobility in the defence line. This has also made croker more important

brown seems to have the balance in this certain situation as he is a runner, for short stints however I see burbo and possibly waddell a better fit overall due to workload and more variety and work in there games

you would think with waddell and brown coming and keppie going that jake is destined for more prop rotation.

the smokey is if jake was to be a bench prop which seems unlikely

manly could improve everyones pack numbers, and reliance , by simply having a better share of possession more often. Our lack of focus on anything other than handling errors has us on the back foot before kickoff

our team regularly is on the wrong side of possession, particularly in the first half when the game is on the line, meaning we need to select for different circumstances than teams that do better in these areas.

when we look and talk about attitude that needs adjusting, nothing needs attention more than our kicking game the chase amd the opportunity to compete for the ball with chasers being onside and in the game. We make oppositions back 5 jobs far too easy and then marvel at there ability when compared to ours

having to give opposition catchers 10m with no opportunity to pressure or play at the ball fat too often is a major influence on our game, style and possession outcomes.

lets build a pack for 50/50 not 60/40

Awesome post mate.

We struggle to make metres from our own goal line. And that's why we forever seem to be coming out of trouble, rather than being able to release that backline with authority. I think some of that stems from:

1. Arsehole play-the-ball and ruck speed Our attackers always get turned on thier backs facing our own tryline - that's the longest and hardest position to stand, turn and play-the-ball from. You'll notice Lodge was good at when getting tackled, landing on his front. Panthers, Storm (and Chooks funnily) and masters of getting tackled by technique - which is why they are always rolling with momentum.

2. Our forward stats in almost every region / area is literally bottom 3 in the league. For mine, the way to fix that is with better players, and a focus on point one above - lightning fast play-the-balls (and that's just effort and technique).

3. Distribution from dummy half. Love Croker, but it's slow, and lacks any ex-factor (BUT, his kicking game has improved 4 40/20's last season thank you very much). If he can learn a running game, can be a bit more explosive (he WAS an international 5/8 and 1/2 back), and be a bit more cisp (and add some ex-factor), okay. But this point exacerbates both points one and two above.

and it's a vicious cycle.

Begs the question then "why did we resign him?"
Yep, I don't know why either? He just doesn't seem like he is willing change.

I don't know any insiders at the club and I don't usually get inside info. If this was just about any other mate who told me that I'd think he was stretching the truth but not this guy. So although I heard it all second hand I do believe it.

Wouldn't surprise me that if he has another **** season we let him look for other opportunities.... no one else will pay what we are paying him to do nothing so we'll be paying part of his contract for however long it is.

Seemed [ Shu ] was able to make the most of his natural ability and high skill level for the bast part of season 21 .
Surely or should be able to retain those better attributes , ,
Combination of injuries , fitness and part attitude issues no doubt not helping much with his previous or recent season "s overall form and consistency outcomes but also was able to show some glimpses occasionally of what he is capable of during this time which should be or offer some basis of hope .
Should be less pressure playing on an edge again , apart from some of his fitness and commitment issues , really will have to show a bit more awareness and part aggression in defence as getting back his attacking mojo should be the easier part ..
Just part of the requirement obviously and also including Turbo and Alioia to delivering to the side some much needed consistency and participation input .

Yep, I don't know why either? He just doesn't seem like he is willing change.

I don't know any insiders at the club and I don't usually get inside info. If this was just about any other mate who told me that I'd think he was stretching the truth but not this guy. So although I heard it all second hand I do believe it.

Wouldn't surprise me that if he has another **** season we let him look for other opportunities.... no one else will pay what we are paying him to do nothing so we'll be paying part of his contract for however long it is.
The first few games next season will tell the tale I guess. Shoe's 2021 season was outstanding, and it's bewildering to everyone, where has this gone. On his day Schuster can prise apart the best opposition defences through deft pass selection and an array of attacking kicks. People talk about Brooks being the missing piece in the jigsaw, but to me it's Schuster.

Seemed [ Shu ] was able to make the most of his natural ability and high skill level for the bast part of season 21 .
Surely or should be able to retain those better attributes , ,
Combination of injuries , fitness and part attitude issues no doubt not helping much with his previous or recent season "s overall form and consistency outcomes but also was able to show some glimpses occasionally of what he is capable of during this time which should be or offer some basis of hope .
Should be less pressure playing on an edge again , apart from some of his fitness and commitment issues , really will have to show a bit more awareness and part aggression in defence as getting back his attacking mojo should be the easier part ..
Just part of the requirement obviously and also including Turbo and Alioia to delivering to the side some much needed consistency and participation input .
Shu knows this is his last chance salon in 2024, on his coin carrying an out of form forward is out of the question, different matter if on 400k tho, you usually get a bit of latitude to eventually come good. On the rest, surely we are due for some luck from the injury gods. Turbo has an injury free run in 24, I can see us winning lots of close games that we would normally lose, anyway, here's hoping.

A very good mate of mine knows Brett Stewart well and was speaking with him last week. He says Brett Stewart says that "Schuster is a lazy lump with a shocking attitude" and that despite all the efforts by the club, his team mates and the coaching staff he just won't change. Doesn't surprise me ......
Seibold has shown he's prepared to make tough calls - the article (above) said he decided he wanted Brooks after seeing him v Cows this year. At that stage Schu, as our much-heralded new star 5/8, had only played 3 times!

Seibold also made tough calls on Keppie and Tuilagi, and the Fainus. So I doubt he'll be selecting Schu too often in 2024 unless he's producing the goods.
I realise Manly still re-signed him, but his young age and big talent probably means he'll hold a fair re-sale value, even if we do give up on him.

Not sure of nrl contracts but id presume there are ways for Manly to back out of the contract, if schuster doesnt cross all the T’s in terms of fitness and expectations
Just have a chat to Gould. He’s the master of moving on players that have a contract, often recently put in front of them by Gould himself.

We forget the mental strength required to play at the top level week in and week out. Especially tough when as a kid you are being told you will be the best. He needs to find inner strength, self discipline and resolve. Not everyone has it and talent alone is not enough.

Schu had a night out against the Dolphins but near the end Tom and the ref had to remind him to take the halfback spot at a defensive scrum. Tom wasn't happy and Schu had no idea why. Speaks to who wears the pants in the team. Schu was trying to fade into the background as soon as we were defending.

Mate of mine on plane yesterday going to Melb sitting next to Manly nrl player.
The player said he was signing a contract with Melb for 2024. He had a tatoo on his lower left arm and said he had a girlfriend in Melb.
He said it was Schuster

Don't think it is, but who could it be?

Has anyone seen a picture of Schu training with the team since training started?
I even saw one of Nathan Brown - didn’t know he had signed yet.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8