The New York Sea Eagles ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
sorry coach...lol

Ok I better do it as no one else is 'equally talented'. *sigh*

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/af6037b75321c49ecc498c70312d61b5

BY DEAN RITCHIE

Manly have escalated plans for a historic team in New York despite a whopping start-up cost of $20 million.

Rugby League International Federation chief executive Nigel Wood was a special guest of Sea Eagles majority owner Scott Penn in the Brookvale Oval chairman’s lounge last Saturday night.

Wood has agreed to help Penn contact the relevant and influential figures in America and England who are behind the push for a New York team.

While in its formative stages, the plan would be for New York to enter the English Super League competition.

Penn also stated he would work toward playing an NRL game in New York in the coming years with the help of Hollywood stars and rugby league tragics Russell Crowe (Souths co-owner) and Hugh Jackman (Manly fan).

“The US is a natural expansion opportunity, in terms of, at least, interest in the game,” Penn said. “It is still a way away but the interest is certainly there and it’s genuine.

“Definitely, everyone I speak to in the US, is interested in rugby league. The gladiatorial nature and similarities to NFL, they like the idea of it.

“It would cost a lot, a big number ($20 million). It’s a start-up, but the interest is definitely there and speaking to the Manly fan known as globaleagle, he said he can cover a quarter of that himself even with his Toronto wolfpack interests.

“We would be interested in having it as a feeder club for Manly, not necessarily owning the New York club outright but participate it in some way.

“As a feeder club, we could use our talent to potentially swap players and get experience.

“There’s no reason why in the future we couldn’t have some of our players, when they hit the back end of their contracts, head over there. I would love to have options.

“We would love to be involved in a game in the future over there. Whether it is having Hugh, being a long-time supporter of Manly, and Russell, being involved with Souths, a Manly-Souths game would be fun.

“It would be good to see if we can bring something like that together. It would be a great expansion opportunity for the NRL to get its teeth into the US. Whether that’s feasible financially is another story.”

Manly might not seek to be sole franchise owner, but rather be part of a consortium to share costs.

There would be a push for the club to be known as the New York Sea Eagles but there could be some resistance from two NFL franchises with similar names, the Seattle Seahawks and Philadelphia Eagles.

Penn spends a considerable time of the year based in New York due to his business interests.

He watched Manly beat Canterbury at Lottoland last weekend but will head back to the US this weekend.

“We had Nigel Wood at the Canterbury game,” Penn said. “He sat next to me in the chairman’s lounge.

“We were speaking about it and he is going to connect me with those interested in New York. He has the connections.

“There have been other people looking at similar things and making approaches to Super League.

“We will certainly have dialogue with them at some stage. I know Todd (Greenberg) is interested in exploring playing a few games over there.

“I also wouldn’t rule out the NRL having a sub-league in the US. That would be interesting.”

Penn was delighted at Manly’s success this season under returning coach Des Hasler.

“I couldn’t be any more delighted with the resilience and attitude the entire squad is showing,” he said.

“We will certainly have dialogue with them at some stage. I know Todd (Greenberg) is interested in exploring playing a few games over there.

“I also wouldn’t rule out the NRL having a sub-league in the US. That would be interesting.”

Just a tip for our American friends ..... do yourselves a favour and don't let GreenTurd or the NRL anyfukkenwhere near the place ..

Just a tip for our American friends ..... do yourselves a favour and don't let GreenTurd or the NRL anyfukkenwhere near the place ..

Although.... if that big fish in the small pond ever went into the big pond with the swagger he's afforded in the nrl.... they'd rip him to pieces.

I often wondered that if you went into the less affluent areas of the states and advertised min Rugby League contracts of .. say $50k ..
you would have 1000's .. yes 1000's of big, fast motivated College football players knocking your door down ...

I don't know the numbers ... but the number of players whose careers come to a shattering hold after college is unbelievable ..

Wasn't this pretty much an article 12 months or so ago.
I think this is almost a rehash of that.
I like the idea but just wonder about the real benefits to Manly.
Maybe there doesn't have to be any, he could treat a NY team as a separate entity but whether we would get too much flow back of talent is another thing.
A game over there would be interesting though...

Greenturd should be the first bloke to go along with Beatoff then they can go to Russia followed by China to start teams.
That should see them out to retirement and away from the game here.

I often wondered that if you went into the less affluent areas of the states and advertised min Rugby League contracts of .. say $50k ..
you would have 1000's .. yes 1000's of big, fast motivated College football players knocking your door down ...

I don't know the numbers ... but the number of players whose careers come to a shattering hold after college is unbelievable ..

The NRL is behind the times. The AFL have been running workshop/combines at colleges in the United States for years.

Mason Cox was an ex-basketballer who went to one of these, he now plays for Collingwood and is one of the best ruckmen in the AFL.

Great to see that the Penn’s are looking outside of the box in terms of growing the clubs profile. Awesome vibe around the joint at present.
Don't let the Rorters get there first, it would give them another way of rorting the salary cap, paying unders whilst playing in the NRL and paying massive overs for a couple of Andrew Johns like appearance in the ESL comp. Money is in different tax jurisdictions so would be a rort

The NRL is behind the times. The AFL have been running workshop/combines at colleges in the United States for years.

Mason Cox was an ex-basketballer who went to one of these, he now plays for Collingwood and is one of the best ruckmen in the AFL.
What about Manfred Moore, scores with his first touch for newtown.

Or the knights guy who had no idea but got signed by the wok anyway?

Did my bit in Pasadena

Attachments

• 20190508_214604.jpg
    20190508_214604.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 24
No mention of Manly or Penn in this article, but the NY bid looks like its starting to gain some traction.

New York rugby league team setting sights on Super League by 2023 season
WRITTEN BYLIAM O'LOUGHLIN
@ljoloughlin

Rugby league is a constantly evolving and expanding game - and now the world's most famous city, New York, is setting their sights on the Super League by the 2023 season.

A team from the 'Big Apple' are set to join England's third division competition (League 1) in 2021 - meaning they could realistically be in the top flight by 2023.

According to senior journalist Dean 'Bulldog' Ritchie on Tuesday morning's Big Sports Breakfast, the reality is starting to set in.

“They’ve got all their ducks in a row at the moment - money, home ground, sponsors – and I think by Christmas the RFL will formally approve New York for 2021," he said.

"This gives them a year. There is no definitive answer, but considering what they did with Toronto and Toulouse it would be into League 1.
"The budget compared to other sides in that division would be big, so you’d think they would go through that fairly well, go into the championship and within three years they could be in the Super League.
"This is not a pie in the sky anymore – this is real, it is happening and is going to change the face of rugby league."
The success of the Toronto Wolfpack has been sensational - and in 2020 they will join the Super League and become a force to be reckoned with.

Ritchie also explained that while the New York franchise won't be going after a Cameron Munster or Kalyn Ponga-level player just yet, they do have cash to splash.
“What they said to me yesterday was that if they are in League 1, they aren’t going to offer $1 million to a marquee player because the division is too low," he said.

"An elite player would get bored – but when they go higher and higher, perhaps into the Super League – they are claiming they would have $1 million a year to spend on a marquee player and a face of the franchise to attract crowds.
"They will look at players towards the end of their careers. Some names in the paper today included the Morris brothers, Darius Boyd, Kieran Foran, Benji Marshall – people in that ilk.
"It has been ridiculous the amount of enquiries we have had from players and officials to go to New York."

Attachments

• 1571874196754.gif
    1571874196754.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 12
Have been waiting for somebody else to post .... but you are all a bunch of lazy .....

The Telecrap had an article today about Penn wanting to start an American team to play in the ESL .....

Please discuss ...

PSS ... Perhaps @globaleagle or someone equally as talented could post the article for us ..

Start spreading the news , Manly is leading the way

If we can make it there . We can make it any where

New York New York

american-eagle-with-usa-flag-wings-sticker-1551465200.3457778.png

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11