The most interesting off season ever!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Players being shafted
Players being poached
First time in years we have scored a big name signing
New coaches
ZtH the media darling
Record numbers of members
Brookvale maybe or maybe not
Social media going nuts

And you'd have to say a whole lot better than this same time last year when all we were discussing was " will they or won't they".

I spoke at length on the phone the other day with @lismore_fan and told him I was 50% pissed off and 50% excited, I think I've even moved on a little from that, still
pissed off but very excited at what 2016 could hold.

I still think 2017 is more likely to be our year but it's sure going to be fun to see this new team rebuild the " everyone hates Manly" tag.

Players being shafted
Players being poached
New coaches
ZtH the media darling
Social media going nuts

And you'd have to say a whole lot better than this same time last year when all we were discussing was " will they or won't they".

I spoke at length on the phone the other day with @lismore_fan and told him I was 50% pissed off and 50% excited, I think I've even moved on a little from that, still

I still think 2017 is more likely to be our year but it's sure going to be fun to see this new team rebuild the " everyone hates Manly" tag.

Yup, what's in the past is in the past - nothing anyone can do about it. Honestly, I was filthy for weeks about Matt Ballin & Clinton Gutherson, but I thought to myself, "hey, what can I do about it?" and thought screw it, look ahead, not behind - it's healthier. I'd read one of Zorba's articles, and by the time I'd finished, I was gritting my teeth....just wasn't great.

Sometimes I forget what attracted me to this amazing game in the first place. Originally it was Florimo, running into holes provided by Taylor & co. Larsson, Farleigh, Ikin, Buettner, Morrison etc etc etc. It then transitioned to Steve Menzies - what a class act both on and off the field (he's the actual reason I was able to cope with becoming an Eagles fan !!!)....Des Hasler - people may be upset at him, but FMD, what he did with The Sea Eagles, along with his player acquisition team is nothing short of brilliant.

Then I realized - it's not any of the off field stuff. It's not the politics (and Manly are and were always 100% more professional than The Bears, especially OFF it, so people don't realize it's not as bad as they think - we could be The Bears (and there's nothing worse than that off the park).....it's the FOOTY I loved. The skill, the pace, the aggression. It's the fans. Manly were pretty bad for quite some time, but damn, they were also some of the best times ever as a footy fan for me.

I hope people at some point think along those lines. Screw the suits. Screw the politics. Screw the negative media BS. Lets get out to the footy, smash a cold Meat Pie, a Tooheys New and scream these new lads home.

I hear what you are saying Mark, I am removed from the inner sanctum of what goes on with the club. I know I don't like what goes on or hear but I take it on the chin and just hope we keep winning premierships and get the us against them mentality back, You can hate us and we don’t give a flying F#^& what anyone else thinks

I'm fairly distant from the political rubbish so it doesn't *really* bug me: aside from being annoyed at our dirty laundry being aired so often and the politics that shafted a club legend.

Having such a woeful season was, however, verrrry difficult to swallow. We were beaten comprehensively all over the park for the majority of the 2015 season and that...well that stung.

So far this off season has been ringing with good news, interspersed with some bad. I'm still stung at losing Ballin: but if that got us Kapow, well the sting didn't last long. In any language that's a good swap. MB has been wonderful for us but guys like Granville have shown us that a dynamic attacking take is required these days moreso than ever..

Gutho... well I still think we should have kept him. I also think he'll be back in '17 or '18. Let him find his feet and get some injury free time at the squeels and we'll pick him up when Killer and Skivvy retire ;)

I'm pumped for next year. We WILL be a force. I think DCE is due a huge season and if we can find a good 6 to complement him, along with Parcell or Koriasu at hooker, behind a pack with Jake, Kapow, Myles and co we are going to be hard to beat. If that Manly spirit shines through and Baz turns out to be the coach we hope for...

Man oh MAN!!

Last edited:
My issue, Ryan, is not with the "suits" themselves but with the vibe they're bringing to the club.
I support "the club", for whatever that means. For a brief period in the 70's to early 80's we were a cashed up bully of a club, buying our way to success and caring not so much for our own identity. We've been paying for it ever since. Being hated is one thing but giving the dopes a reason to justify it is unforgivable.

Over the past 8 years or so we've proved to be something completely different. A club that develops its own. A club that has a style, a type and a separation from the rest of the filth in the comp. When enemy fans would call us out for being this or that, we could laugh at them ant say we have one of if not THE lowest number of players in our team that were established 1st graders for other clubs. A couple of astute buys here and there (Killer, Kitey, etc) matched with local juniors, junior developed players and cast-offs with potential. We could laugh at the Roosters, Souffs and co for having no soul and buying premierships with mercenaries whist our club had all the success but with people who were its own.

The new look team will be effective but the vibe of the club as showcased by the players they've bought gives the impression of the Sydney Sea Eagles who play out of the SFS. It's not the boutique, high-end specialty local club we have been. Just a big glitzy frontage with nothing much behind it.

We only needed evolution, not revolution.

Yup, what's in the past is in the past - nothing anyone can do about it. Honestly, I was filthy for weeks about Matt Ballin & Clinton Gutherson, but I thought to myself, "hey, what can I do about it?" and thought screw it, look ahead, not behind - it's healthier. I'd read one of Zorba's articles, and by the time I'd finished, I was gritting my teeth....just wasn't great.

Sometimes I forget what attracted me to this amazing game in the first place. Originally it was Florimo, running into holes provided by Taylor & co. Larsson, Farleigh, Ikin, Buettner, Morrison etc etc etc. It then transitioned to Steve Menzies - what a class act both on and off the field (he's the actual reason I was able to cope with becoming an Eagles fan !!!)....Des Hasler - people may be upset at him, but FMD, what he did with The Sea Eagles, along with his player acquisition team is nothing short of brilliant.

Then I realized - it's not any of the off field stuff. It's not the politics (and Manly are and were always 100% more professional than The Bears, especially OFF it, so people don't realize it's not as bad as they think - we could be The Bears (and there's nothing worse than that off the park).....it's the FOOTY I loved. The skill, the pace, the aggression. It's the fans. Manly were pretty bad for quite some time, but damn, they were also some of the best times ever as a footy fan for me.

I hope people at some point think along those lines. Screw the suits. Screw the politics. Screw the negative media BS. Lets get out to the footy, smash a cold Meat Pie, a Tooheys New and scream these new lads home.
Good post @Ryan , you can, at times be a truly negative bugger but you always turn up! :D

My issue, Ryan, is not with the "suits" themselves but with the vibe they're bringing to the club.
I support "the club", for whatever that means. For a brief period in the 70's to early 80's we were a cashed up bully of a club, buying our way to success and caring not so much for our own identity. We've been paying for it ever since. Being hated is one thing but giving the dopes a reason to justify it is unforgivable.

Over the past 8 years or so we've proved to be something completely different. A club that develops its own. A club that has a style, a type and a separation from the rest of the filth in the comp. When enemy fans would call us out for being this or that, we could laugh at them ant say we have one of if not THE lowest number of players in our team that were established 1st graders for other clubs. A couple of astute buys here and there (Killer, Kitey, etc) matched with local juniors, junior developed players and cast-offs with potential. We could laugh at the Roosters, Souffs and co for having no soul and buying premierships with mercenaries whist our club had all the success but with people who were its own.

The new look team will be effective but the vibe of the club as showcased by the players they've bought gives the impression of the Sydney Sea Eagles who play out of the SFS. It's not the boutique, high-end specialty local club we have been. Just a big glitzy frontage with nothing much behind it.

I understand your point of view @Duff, however; I'm inclined to disagree. While we have bought a number of players, we still have bred many in the team. For example:

Key:
Manly junior - played junior footy in Manly area
Manly developed - player U20s for Manly or came as a no-name player
Proven buy - a key buy of an established high profile player
Unproven buy - a buy of a player who is not an established player.
Journeyman - an established player who has played for many teams but never really proven or consistent

1. B. Stewart - Manly developed
2. J. Taufua - Manly developed
3. J. Lyon - Proven buy but long serving
4. S. Matai - Manly developed
5. T. Trbojevic - Manly junior
6. P. Hiku - Manly developed
7. D. Cherry-Evans - Manly developed
8. J. Trbojevic - Manly junior
9. M. Parcell - Unproven buy
10. N. Myles - Proven buy
11. F. Mateo - Journeyman
12. J. Buhrer - Manly developed
13. M. Tapau - Proven buy

14. A. Koroisau - Proven buy
15. B. Lawrence - Manly developed
16. D. Lussick - Manly junior
17. L. Brown - Proven buy
18. J. Starling - Manly developed
19. A. Demetriou - Manly developed
20. L. Knight - Manly junior
21. T. Symonds - Manly developed

So of the possible starting 13 we have 1 long serving buy, 2 proven buys, 1 journeyman and 1 unproven buy. The rest is either a junior or developed.

Of the bench we have 1 proven buy, 2 developed and one junior (returning home)

Outside that the other players likely to get gametime next season are either Manly developed or local juniors.

Of the total 21 players named above, 7 are either proven or unproven buys (incl Killer). I think the Manly develop their own culture is still alive and well.

I understand your point of view @Duff, however; I'm inclined to disagree. While we have bought a number of players, we still have bred many in the team. For example:

Key:
Manly junior - played junior footy in Manly area
Manly developed - player U20s for Manly or came as a no-name player
Proven buy - a key buy of an established high profile player
Unproven buy - a buy of a player who is not an established player.
Journeyman - an established player who has played for many teams but never really proven or consistent

1. B. Stewart - Manly developed
2. J. Taufua - Manly developed
3. J. Lyon - Proven buy but long serving
4. S. Matai - Manly developed
5. T. Trbojevic - Manly junior
6. P. Hiku - Manly developed
7. D. Cherry-Evans - Manly developed
8. J. Trbojevic - Manly junior
9. M. Parcell - Unproven buy
10. N. Myles - Proven buy
11. F. Mateo - Journeyman
12. J. Buhrer - Manly developed
13. M. Tapau - Proven buy

14. A. Koroisau - Proven buy
15. B. Lawrence - Manly developed
16. D. Lussick - Manly junior
17. L. Brown - Proven buy
18. J. Starling - Manly developed
19. A. Demetriou - Manly developed
20. L. Knight - Manly junior
21. T. Symonds - Manly developed

So of the possible starting 13 we have 1 long serving buy, 2 proven buys, 1 journeyman and 1 unproven buy. The rest is either a junior or developed.

Of the bench we have 1 proven buy, 2 developed and one junior (returning home)

Outside that the other players likely to get gametime next season are either Manly developed or local juniors.

Of the total 21 players named above, 7 are either proven or unproven buys (incl Killer). I think the Manly develop their own culture is still alive and well.

Saying Tom Symonds and Josh Starling were Manly developed is drawing the longest of long bows.....

Saying Tom Symonds and Josh Starling were Manly developed is drawing the longest of long bows.....
Yep, far too many given Manly developed than is warranted. Most of those fall into the (un)proven buy. For example, Hiku as an elite U20s player can be a unproven buy. Warriors developed him and we get the benefit. We wouldn't accept that the Roosters developed JWH, so we can't have it both ways.

But a reasonable point nevertheless that a good percentage of the players are from Manly ilk rather than just blow ins ( mind you Kapow is a fair sort of blow in).

The main departure from recent off-seasons is that yes, there's been some pain, but there's also been some positive news. Last few years has been nothing but deathriding, doom and gloom…

It is nice to have an off season that gives us positive things to discuss though... The Forme and DCE saga of last year and things like De$$ie leaving were paaaaaainful..

Our Club is like our family . Uncles cousins brothers etc . We don't always agree with each other or always get along with each other but we are still maroon blood W e are still family
8bb115446424dead22433c5635a74755.jpg

That is one of the best posts I've ever read on here. That's exactly how I feel about the place.Yes,we all want to win,but at what price?

Last edited:
Frankly, I think this is the most insightful, well presented thread I've read on Silvertails. Big ups, Mark! You've sparked some debate and got people soul-searching.

Thanks mate.

But really it was pretty easy to come up with it.

From just after the 2011 GF our off seasons have been a debacle, De$ Ha$ler started it (and Silvertails nearly tore itself apart with division at the time) and its continued each off season from then on.

And to be honest this off season is no different although its turned from a debacle into the start of a new era (good or bad I'm yet to know), but given that it's certainly the most interesting off season since I have been a member on ST, I can never remember so much to discuss that has such variety........last year it was ALL about....will they or won't they!!

Now its just " I can't wait for season 2016 to kick off".

Players being shafted
Players being poached
New coaches
ZtH the media darling
Social media going nuts

I agree 2016 is a rebuilding year. It will take a while for the combinations to develop. We will be a force after origin is over. 2017 could be huge.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8