The Mole - Best Fullbacks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Here is the "Moley's" Fullback ratings from Top to Bottom.

Now we all know Moles spend much time hiding under ground for good reason and to be fair I first looked and felt a bit angry about Tommy T sitting at 6, but in reality when he basically only plays half as much as the others (or less), it may feel about right ??

What's the thoughts ??

1696980919118.png

Here is the "Moley's" Fullback ratings from Top to Bottom.

Now we all know Moles spend much time hiding under ground for good reason and to be fair I first looked and felt a bit angry about Tommy T sitting at 6, but in reality when he basically only plays half as much as the others (or less), it may feel about right ??

What's the thoughts ??

View attachment 25287
Probably about right but would be inclined to have Koula ahead of Sloan , Kris and maybe . Kennedy .
Guess that Koula still may have a bit to prove defensively as a full back but does plenty of good things in other areas to warrant a pretty fair rating there

When fit Turbos in the top 2 ... even at 6 when hes on the park less than 40% per season just goes to show how good he is.

Ponga- is a Myth, had 1 "Hayne Plane" season ( Or half season at that, and because he's the flavour of the month he has to be at 1 " today"), BUT he's been around now for a few years and really if people are being honest he didn't set the world on fire as the games Number 1 Fullback

Edwards- Is a solid player and would always be at Number 2 or 3 because he just hasn't got that X factor, hes also playing in the best side in the comp and that makes a massive difference.

Walsh- is a talent but in my opinion he needs to back it up again next season and the season after that before he's even top 3, Lets not forget this guy is not a rookie and wasn't so " grease Lightning" in his previous years, ALSO goes to show how important it is to be playing in a good side, ALA Edwards

Drinkwater- HMMM at 4... in this star studded list...., hes a decent player but if we are being real here he's not in the top 8, Gutho is a better fullback than him and Gutho would only be at 7

Tedesco- Great player, proven player and his ability is only outmatched by his desire and will to succeed, thats what kept him at the top for the last 5 or 6 years. Sadly he's body is not only aging but the effort and stress he has but his body through ( ALA Foran) sees him around drop but still in the top 3 IMO

Trbojevic- His body is all that has let him down, solid defender, good under the high ball, can ball play, is a big fast body and arguably the best attacking footballer of the group with a real footy brain and Teddy like will to succeed, hes " talk" alone at fullback in marshaling the defence
has taken a huge step forward since having Snake coach him. And he can play as a forward... All these attributes above he has and no other player in this list ( Other than Teddy in his prime) have.

Mitchell- Another Myth, when he's on he's unstoppable ( In attack that is) because hes a very lazy defender ( Unless he has a point to prove ), yes he's got talent but lacks drive and motivation to ever be close to Number 1

and as for the rest of the field, ALL are excellent players, who bring their own strengths but also have weaknesses that see them in the bottom section of the list.
To even form such a list there must be a criteria and once you put that criteria to the player you come out with a list based on fact rather than opinion.

My judging criteria:

Defensive ability
Defensive team organisation and management
Ability under the high ball
Ability to control grounded ball
Line breaks
Line break assist
Trys
Try assists
Speed
Power/ Strength (Leg drive, power to get over the advantage line in a tackle)
Size ( Body shape )
Longevity ( how their body stands up to the game, Injuries )
Stamina/ Fitness
X Factor ( What the player brings to the team and his own "special" performance attributes)
Dependability ( How the team preforms when they are or are not playing)
Reliability ( How they preform week in week out, season after season)
Football Knowledge (natural ability to see and do things that sets them apart)

My Top 8-- using the criteria above Scoring a 10 for each area
1- Tedesco 146
2- Trbojevic 145
3- Edwards 144
4- Gutherson 143
5- Walsh 140
6- Ponga- 139
7- Mitchell- 134
8- Drinkwater- 131

When is this list time stamped?

My list as of today based on 2023 form would be:

1. Edwards
2. Walsh
3. Ponga
4. Nicoll-Klokstad
5. Tedesco
6. Habuai-Fidow
7. Gutherson
8. Mitchell
9. Trbojevic
10. Drinkwater
11. Kennedy
12. Papenhuyzen
13. Brimson
14. Bula
15. Kris
16. Sloan
17. Crichton is not a fullback yet

My list based on career to date (uninjured) based talent with fullback as their best position

1. (9.) Trbojevic
2. (5.) Tedesco
3. (12.) Papenhuyzen
4. (1.) Edwards
5. (2.) Walsh
6. (3.) Ponga
7. (6.) Habuai-Fidow
8. (7.) Gutherson
9. (4.) Nicoll-Klokstad
10. (10.) Drinkwater
11. (13.) Brimson
12. (8.) Mitchell (he's a centre)
13. (14.) Bula
14. (11.) Kennedy
15. (15.) Kris
16. (16.) Sloan
17. (17.) Crichton is not a fullback yet

When fit would be at least above Drinkwater and Tedesco. When fit still my number 1 fullback for Manly.

Love him or loathe him, Gutherson is a much more valuable fullback than his ranking on this list.
Nothing to loath about Gutho
Great athlete and competitor who stamps his mark on game time for the eels
And that is what top fullbacks in the game do
Turbo injury free and full of confidence is a super dynamic unstoppable and remarkable match winner
On their day players like Walsh ,Tedesco , Mitchell, Ponga , Papenhuyzen , Habuai-Fidow and Edwards can all rise to Elite level

Nothing to loath about Gutho
Great athlete and competitor who stamps his mark on game time for the eels
And that is what top fullbacks in the game do
Turbo injury free and full of confidence is a super dynamic unstoppable and remarkable match winner
On their day players like Walsh ,Tedesco , Mitchell, Ponga , Papenhuyzen , Habuai-Fidow and Edwards can all rise to Elite level
He plays for the Eels, that's plenty enough for me to loathe him. However his ability and talent must be respected and he is a top 5 fullback.

WAS a top 5 fullback.....

You can't deny Edwards, Ponga and Walsh have pushed him down the ladder by the end of 2023.

7th at best I reckon.
His output over the last 5 years has been arguably about third behind Tedesco and probably Edwards.

Maybe he is slightly in decline, but he takes the field each week and is ultra-consistent at a high level.

I can't say the same about half of the guys above him.

When is this list time stamped?

My list as of today based on 2023 form would be:

1. Edwards
2. Walsh
3. Ponga
4. Nicoll-Klokstad
5. Tedesco
6. Habuai-Fidow
7. Gutherson
8. Mitchell
9. Trbojevic
10. Drinkwater
11. Kennedy
12. Papenhuyzen
13. Brimson
14. Bula
15. Kris
16. Sloan
17. Crichton is not a fullback yet

My list based on career to date (uninjured) based talent with fullback as their best position

1. (9.) Trbojevic
2. (5.) Tedesco
3. (12.) Papenhuyzen
4. (1.) Edwards
5. (2.) Walsh
6. (3.) Ponga
7. (6.) Habuai-Fidow
8. (7.) Gutherson
9. (4.) Nicoll-Klokstad
10. (10.) Drinkwater
11. (13.) Brimson
12. (8.) Mitchell (he's a centre)
13. (14.) Bula
14. (11.) Kennedy
15. (15.) Kris
16. (16.) Sloan
17. (17.) Crichton is not a fullback yet
How does Pappy get 12th spot this year? He only played 3. And we all saw what happened in that game.
I’d bump Bula up to 12th. He showed some class, considering he was playing behind garbage.

I rate Drinkwater highly. He polled third in the Dally M this year. Amongst the 'second tier' fullbacks, he is the best ballplayer & most creative (IMO). If Turbo, Teddy & 'Trell weren't available for NSW, I would select him ahead of Edwards & Gutho. I love watching the Hammer, but at fullback his defence is poor at times.

I rate Drinkwater highly. He polled third in the Dally M this year. Amongst the 'second tier' fullbacks, he is the best ballplayer & most creative (IMO). If Turbo, Teddy & 'Trell weren't available for NSW, I would select him ahead of Edwards & Gutho. I love watching the Hammer, but at fullback his defence is poor at times.
Yeah, I look at Drinkwater and see an excellent five-eight playing at the back. I'd pick him as a half in Origin, thereby continuing the great NSW Origin tradition of picking fullbacks to fill every backline position.

Tedesco? What a joke. Hasn't been top 5 in a couple of seasons.
Gutho definitely top 5 - he's more valuable to Parra than Moses I feel.

I think a few of these calls seem hard to grasp, but then realise it's not based on "Potential" or even "Ability", but the fact many "Better" players lower ranked have missed many games and personally would find it hard to fit them in anywhere in some cases....especially say Papenhuyzen and Tom who missed so many games....Edwards is the 1 who stands out for me and shows courage and will with a reliable mistake free game, can often beat freakish skill and flair and is deservedly ranked very highly.....though it does help being a 1 in clearly the best team in the NRL, he is a big part of the puzzle in what he brings and plays to his ability week in/week out, where many don't.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8