The Manly Way

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
What a bloody great thing to watch and a great idea and production from the club!!

It’s got us and myself all excited for 2024!!!

It’s kinda like a slimed down version of NFLs hard knocks and it’s bloody good!!

Go Manly!
Good to see you posting again Soup...

The regulars are starting to migrate back here....the season will be starting soon......

Do tell….
okay, ill do my best to retell the chat with Seibold without blabbing on too long.
he was just sitting down in the pub with about 4 mates for about 20-30 minute's so i thought it would be a good time to have a chat with him. i knew if i said something he didn't like to begin with he would turn me away so i started with something quite simple for me.

I said to him you gotta be playing koula left centre not right centre because we already have enough attacking threats (his terminology from press conferences) in olakau'ata and saab on the right side and he will be only getting the ball like 1 in 5 times, compared to if you play him left centre he will be the strike attacking threat. his response was "yea mate that's actually what we doing this year we trying to get him more involved this year and we feel that's on the left side" or something very similar, then i just said yea and hopefully tom can give him a few pointers in how to become a roaming centre like he was in origin and he's like yea exactly.

at this stage he was actually really committed to the conversion, then my mate was just giving praise about the manly way and seibs was talking for like a minute on how they thought it's a really good opportunity for the fans to get an insight for the season.

then this is the part i found controversial when i said the starting team is looking pretty set for round 1, 1 clear battle that stands out to me is either tuipilotu or vaega for that left wing spot. to my suprise his response in a confident tone was we got jaxon paulo who we just have signed, then i asked him do you recon he is a big enough for those tackle 2 carriers coming out of our own end because we got saab who is another lighter weighted winger and he won't be doing too much of those. his response was still very confident in saying "yes he is big enough". so to me all pre season so far ive had tuipilotu starting left wing because rays defensive decisions aren't good enough for nrl atm but if paulo who is an aerial threat, great finisher and apparently big enough to take tackle 2 and 3 hit ups that could turn into being a great signing.

then we were talking about the signings for a bit and being very complementary, then i gave him my idea of the signing of waddell most people will just see as an average signing as our 2nd second row cover, but don't you think you can tranform him into a similar path of ethan bullemor. when bullemor came to manly he was in a similar boat of a backup second rower but a transition into a bench middle forward with leg speed will be a lot more productive move especially with the speed of the game increasing and manlys lack of middle forwards in recent years. his eyes lit up it was funny, he said yea in the off season we try and prepare the boys for a few positions and roles and that's definately one we are looking for corey.

at this stage i feel like i was flying but idk if i took it too far when i said this but i honestly feel this needed to be said and fans that have watch manly in recent years surely agree. i said by no means i mean to be racist but i feel we have a tend to when we concede 1 we have a knack of conceding 2 or sometimes 3, and it's not the opposition getting much better, i feel its sometimes our international players not communicating when the times get tuff. i then said like a simple way you could help fix that is getting players like paseka and koula to run warm ups at training to help them gain confidence with communicating and leading.

to seibs credit he said na mate your complete right and that's a decent idea you raise but we have directly talked about what you said and this year we will be looking at more short kick offs to change the momentum and get the ball back. now at the time i didn't say this but i feel that's taking the soft cock option out of it, coming from a cricket background if the bowler is on top of you with the ball swinging and bouncing around you gotta back your defence and dig deep and show some resilience instead of having a swing and high risk of getting out then telling your team mates oh well just wasn't my day. i just feel there should be a higher priority on defence rather than overplaying attack because if they get the ball back, tackle 2 they are already in our half.

now at this stage i don't why but seibs is still very invested, maybe the guys he were with were boring or because he's actually interested about the thoughts of a 19 year old. but then after about 5 agreements we hit our first disagreement...

i said i recon jakey should be playing 65-70 minutes not 80 because he doesn't run the ball in the last 15 minutes and that puts a lot of pressure on our other middle forwards especially if we only players 2 of them off the bench. then im like you can play gordy like 30 mintues and croker 65 but when they on together you player croker 13. his response was mate i respect your opinion but i got to disagree with you, we need jake out there. then im like yea i can see why he's so important to the teams defensive,

then i thought it would be rude to go on after he disagreed with something so we had to leave it there, i said thanks mate for the chat best of luck for the reason and his response was mate thanks for the really good insights it was good having a chat with you. then we left it there.

i was so ready to go into more depth into that last bit though because what i took out from that whole chat was that he wants paulo left wing and jake to play 80. and the result of both of those 2 is that that's extra work for our middle forwards. so i would've asked him about so would you be looking to play gordy at 14 plus 3 middle forwards off the bench, aka sipley, aloiai and bullemor (lodge and paseka starting, all of this when full strength). but this means yes we are covered in our middles now but if there if there is an injury to an outside back in game we need bullemor to play centre as to fit the 3 middles we can't have burbo in 17 who would be replacing any second row or centre injury. so i know it may seem a little far fetched and i know i may of lost some of you along the may and this maybe a little unique thought but for manly to be successful this year we need bullemor to be able to cover centre for us in game!

sorry for that being long and probably like 10 different discussion points but i didn't feel like spreading it all in different threads rather just say it in 1.
if anyone has any questions or thoughts im keen for ur point of of view

okay, ill do my best to retell the chat with Seibold without blabbing on too long.
he was just sitting down in the pub with about 4 mates for about 20-30 minute's so i thought it would be a good time to have a chat with him. i knew if i said something he didn't like to begin with he would turn me away so i started with something quite simple for me.

I said to him you gotta be playing koula left centre not right centre because we already have enough attacking threats (his terminology from press conferences) in olakau'ata and saab on the right side and he will be only getting the ball like 1 in 5 times, compared to if you play him left centre he will be the strike attacking threat. his response was "yea mate that's actually what we doing this year we trying to get him more involved this year and we feel that's on the left side" or something very similar, then i just said yea and hopefully tom can give him a few pointers in how to become a roaming centre like he was in origin and he's like yea exactly.

at this stage he was actually really committed to the conversion, then my mate was just giving praise about the manly way and seibs was talking for like a minute on how they thought it's a really good opportunity for the fans to get an insight for the season.

then this is the part i found controversial when i said the starting team is looking pretty set for round 1, 1 clear battle that stands out to me is either tuipilotu or vaega for that left wing spot. to my suprise his response in a confident tone was we got jaxon paulo who we just have signed, then i asked him do you recon he is a big enough for those tackle 2 carriers coming out of our own end because we got saab who is another lighter weighted winger and he won't be doing too much of those. his response was still very confident in saying "yes he is big enough". so to me all pre season so far ive had tuipilotu starting left wing because rays defensive decisions aren't good enough for nrl atm but if paulo who is an aerial threat, great finisher and apparently big enough to take tackle 2 and 3 hit ups that could turn into being a great signing.

then we were talking about the signings for a bit and being very complementary, then i gave him my idea of the signing of waddell most people will just see as an average signing as our 2nd second row cover, but don't you think you can tranform him into a similar path of ethan bullemor. when bullemor came to manly he was in a similar boat of a backup second rower but a transition into a bench middle forward with leg speed will be a lot more productive move especially with the speed of the game increasing and manlys lack of middle forwards in recent years. his eyes lit up it was funny, he said yea in the off season we try and prepare the boys for a few positions and roles and that's definately one we are looking for corey.

at this stage i feel like i was flying but idk if i took it too far when i said this but i honestly feel this needed to be said and fans that have watch manly in recent years surely agree. i said by no means i mean to be racist but i feel we have a tend to when we concede 1 we have a knack of conceding 2 or sometimes 3, and it's not the opposition getting much better, i feel its sometimes our international players not communicating when the times get tuff. i then said like a simple way you could help fix that is getting players like paseka and koula to run warm ups at training to help them gain confidence with communicating and leading.

to seibs credit he said na mate your complete right and that's a decent idea you raise but we have directly talked about what you said and this year we will be looking at more short kick offs to change the momentum and get the ball back. now at the time i didn't say this but i feel that's taking the soft cock option out of it, coming from a cricket background if the bowler is on top of you with the ball swinging and bouncing around you gotta back your defence and dig deep and show some resilience instead of having a swing and high risk of getting out then telling your team mates oh well just wasn't my day. i just feel there should be a higher priority on defence rather than overplaying attack because if they get the ball back, tackle 2 they are already in our half.

now at this stage i don't why but seibs is still very invested, maybe the guys he were with were boring or because he's actually interested about the thoughts of a 19 year old. but then after about 5 agreements we hit our first disagreement...

i said i recon jakey should be playing 65-70 minutes not 80 because he doesn't run the ball in the last 15 minutes and that puts a lot of pressure on our other middle forwards especially if we only players 2 of them off the bench. then im like you can play gordy like 30 mintues and croker 65 but when they on together you player croker 13. his response was mate i respect your opinion but i got to disagree with you, we need jake out there. then im like yea i can see why he's so important to the teams defensive,

then i thought it would be rude to go on after he disagreed with something so we had to leave it there, i said thanks mate for the chat best of luck for the reason and his response was mate thanks for the really good insights it was good having a chat with you. then we left it there.

i was so ready to go into more depth into that last bit though because what i took out from that whole chat was that he wants paulo left wing and jake to play 80. and the result of both of those 2 is that that's extra work for our middle forwards. so i would've asked him about so would you be looking to play gordy at 14 plus 3 middle forwards off the bench, aka sipley, aloiai and bullemor (lodge and paseka starting, all of this when full strength). but this means yes we are covered in our middles now but if there if there is an injury to an outside back in game we need bullemor to play centre as to fit the 3 middles we can't have burbo in 17 who would be replacing any second row or centre injury. so i know it may seem a little far fetched and i know i may of lost some of you along the may and this maybe a little unique thought but for manly to be successful this year we need bullemor to be able to cover centre for us in game!

sorry for that being long and probably like 10 different discussion points but i didn't feel like spreading it all in different threads rather just say it in 1.
Thank you very much for sharing.

It appears you have a scoop re Paulo and our 1-7 early season line up.

We certainly need to improve our short kick offs (kicking & receiving). Many teams are more adept in this area than Manly.

An interesting question would have been whether Parker will transition to the forwards.

Last edited:
he wants paulo left wing and jake to play 80. and the result of both of those 2 is that that's extra work for our middle forwards.
In an interview, Seibold said speed is a major strength of the team. I wonder if he will encourage more early shifts coming out of our own end? Manly scored a lot of tries with this tactic in 2021 & also in a few games last year. At the right time, an early shift with good execution and a fast backline can be a better option than rucking the ball out. Of course, it would be a bonus if all our forwards offloaded more often.

Last edited:

Great insight Josh! Also awesome to hear the boss gave you so much time and information. The fan engagement is so important and Seibs knows this. So refreshing to have a head coach that wants to give so much back to the community and attachment to the team.
Great chat mate!

Thank you very much for sharing.

It appears you have a scoop re Paulo and our 1-7 early season line up.

We certainly need to improve our short kick offs (kicking & receiving). Many teams are more adept in this area than Manly.

An interesting question would have been whether Parker will transition to the forwards.
yea idk what scoop means but like if that means a feeling that paulo will be playing left wing to start that's more seibolds idea then mine. i think the other back 6 speak for themself in;
  1. turbo
  2. saab
  3. koula
  4. garrick
  5. now paulo
  6. brooks
  7. cherry
but yea i also agree with the kick offs we need cherry to master the harder skill of opening up his body and doing short kick offs to our right side where we olaka'ata and saab where both of them are aerial threats.

yea a question about parker could've been good but i recon he will only be cover for back row. like hypothetically lets say schuster doesn't play well so burbo is starting and olakau'ata is playing origin, parker could start second row there or they can play waddell there. Or even parker could then by that player off the bench and play the burbo role of back row and centre cover if there is any injury in game.

In an interview, Seibold said speed is a major strength of the team. I wonder if he will encourage more early shifts coming out of our own end? Manly scored a lot of tries with this tactic in 2021 & also in a few games last year. At the right time, an early shift with good execution and a fast backline can be a better option than rucking the ball out. Of course, it would be a bonus if all our forwards offloaded more often.
yea that's a really good point you raise because both tuipilotu and vaega are both slow compared to paulo and he will more suit our style of footy.
okay i just did some research and looked at the 3 wingers run meters, i think instead of just looking and seeing how many hit ups its important to see how far they run far because that's them utilising their speed to gain ground.
  • tuipoltu - his whole career has been very consistent all around 126 not including his game where he played 4 minutes
  • vaega - 114 metres career and 116 meters last year
  • paulo - from 11 games last year on the wing averaging 147 meters

yea that's a really good point you raise because both tuipilotu and vaega are both slow compared to paulo and he will more suit our style of footy.
okay i just did some research and looked at the 3 wingers run meters, i think instead of just looking and seeing how many hit ups its important to see how far they run far because that's them utilising their speed to gain ground.
  • tuipoltu - his whole career has been very consistent all around 126 not including his game where he played 4 minutes
  • vaega - 114 metres career and 116 meters last year
  • paulo - from 11 games last year on the wing averaging 147 meters

Paulo is 6’4 and over 100kgs with a lot of speed. His physical make up is border line freakish. Just needs to find his hands. If he dose he will be a lock on the wing

Wonder how Faulalo is ranked on a possible wing role even though he is not in the main squad at present .
Indications apparently now Saab and Paulo as i st choice preferences , Know what Tippytoes and Vagea are capable off but would be interesting for Faulalo to be given some time in the trials at wing or even full back .
Koula and Garrick ist ranked centres and after Turbo and now Weekes moving on , maybe Faulalo to be given some consideration there or eventually at some point during the season .
Then Parker in more of a utility role perhaps and pushing Burbo for a bench spot and again would not underestimate Parker"s ability to be able to transition to an effective edge role with his normally reliable front on defence and strong initial running ability .

Even more so these days the intensity and pressure levels required around the general ruck area in particular at i st grade level and these type of sessions [ in house videos and preferable playing patterns and structures either individually or collectively ] , pretty crucial again .
Need the fitness and resilience levels right up there too naturally and no doubt plenty or the required attention there also .

Jaxon Paulo is almost 6 ft 3 inches, and 101 kgs.

Ray Vaega is about 5 ft 11.5 inches (almost 6 ft), and 102 kgs.

Christian Tuipulotu is 6 ft 1 inches, and 106 kgs.

Paulo has 99% of Vaega's weight, and 95.2% of Tuipuloto's weight.

Paulo is not giving away much in size to Tuipuloto, and barely anything to Vaega.

If his height (and particularly jump) advantage is better that Vaega / Tuipolotu, that ticks one box.

If he's faster - and has better defensive reads - and better handling (apparently needs to work on the last one) - it looks like we have a winner.

No-one should be concerned with a winger over 100kgs taking the ball up out of trouble - if he's fast enough doing it (simple maths, mass x speed = impact), can hang on to the ball, and has the endurance to do it repeatedly if need be. Saab has reportedly put on a few more kgs from boxing (107 kgs now I read somewhere), so he can contribute there as well. These guys weigh as much as most forwards.

Paulo, at 192 cms, and Saab, at 199 cms, could be the wide, fast threats we need for points this year, especially in the attacking third of the field - particularly with the fast centres of Koula and Garrick next to them.

Could be a very good year.

Paulo is not giving away much in size to Tuipuloto, and barely anything to Vaega.

If his height (and particularly jump) advantage is better that Vaega / Tuipolotu, that ticks one box.

If he's faster - and has better defensive reads - and better handling (apparently needs to work on the last one) - it looks like we have a winner.

No-one should be concerned with a winger over 100kgs taking the ball up out of trouble - if he's fast enough doing it (simple maths, mass x speed = impact), can hang on to the ball, and has the endurance to do it repeatedly if need be. Saab has reportedly put on a few more kgs from boxing (107 kgs now I read somewhere), so he can contribute there as well. These guys weigh as much as most forwards.

Paulo, at 192 cms, and Saab, at 199 cms, could be the wide, fast threats we need for points this year, especially in the attacking third of the field - particularly with the fast centres of Koula and Garrick next to them.

I agree with basically everything you have said, but whether it is a good year or not will depend primarily on our forwards.

Thanks for sharing that. Much appreciated. Good on you. I wouldn't have had the guts.

yea i completely agree, just his handling will be letting him down from being a top quality nrl winger but surely coaches would know that and would blast him balls to catch this pre season.
since seibold's liking to pace on the wing as we have a plan to spread the ball early that brings in Faulalo as a likely player for the future due to fitting the current style of the team, additionally, lehi hopoate for the future, he's a mate of mine from school and he's lightning quick, about 6 foot 1 and will suit manly's need for speed on the edges in coming years.

after the talk with seibold i'm coming to realise that manly's way of playing the game will be different to most teams and also gives reason over our signings. the structure of the squad is that we have a really solid middle and tight middle with less mobile players to help strengthen stability like jake playing 80 in the middle croker playing close to 80. then we have a lot of strike with speed and skill outside on the edges which results in a lot of early ball to big resigning of schuster and olaka'ata. I feel schuster through this structure schuster will be given a lot of early ball this year and can use his play making skills as well as power game and desceptive passing. he won't be used as just another hit up forward and run tight lines.

like an example of this "style of footy" manly are looking to play is to gain enough ground through the middle forwards then spread it out to our powerful skillful backrowers or chuck it out to centres and wingers if there's an overlap. a contrasting clubs game plan would be parramatta and who evolve their game around 2nd phase play with offloads and beating teams through the middle. by doing this both teams are just playing to their strengths of what they have at the club, parra have 3 of the top 5 offloaders in the comp of hopgood, cartright and junior paulo and manly probaby have the fastest back 5 in the comp.

so if manly want to stay down this path for the future players like caleb navale who is almost a direct replica of jake through their style of game of runs for around 120m, tackles his guts off, can play long minutes and has a decent short passing game to start attacks needs to be in manlys mind of the future. i know both of these players may lack the "mobility and leg speed of a modern day lock" but for Manly's style of 13 Navale is a perfect mould into this team.

Wonder how Faulalo is ranked on a possible wing role even though he is not in the main squad at present .
Indications apparently now Saab and Paulo as i st choice preferences , Know what Tippytoes and Vagea are capable off but would be interesting for Faulalo to be given some time in the trials at wing or even full back .
Koula and Garrick ist ranked centres and after Turbo and now Weekes moving on , maybe Faulalo to be given some consideration there or eventually at some point during the season .
Then Parker in more of a utility role perhaps and pushing Burbo for a bench spot and again would not underestimate Parker"s ability to be able to transition to an effective edge role with his normally reliable front on defence and strong initial running ability .

Very interesting that you use Burbo and Parker in the same sentence. I can definitely see a world where when Burbo is out Parker would take that bench spot as the mr fix it.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8