The Manly Pack in 2019

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
These re signings shows good faith and belief by Des and the Manly staff in AFB and Paseka and add the chat with Kapow to ensure he feels wanted as our key destroyer....
Some big boppers who can power with the best.
A sprinkle of Des aggression, particularly with the added old school Manly feel from trainers and staff should give that dominance and belief that's been lacking in recent times.
Kapow and AFB can lead this pack with brute strength and there are plenty of others I feel will lift in 2019 under the new regime, in a pack that often paved a decent platform that could well go to a new level.
No doubt there are plenty of questions about the back line, but this pack has the potential to keep Manly in the contest once it gets into rhythm.....just need 1 or 2 surprise packets with the recruits and youngsters like young Waddell and watch out.
Also expect young Fainu to really find his feet and add plenty off the bench.
Keep in mind Sirro who was mostly absent in 2018 is almost like a new signing and will not only add more attacking options, but steel on the edges where we were torn apart in his absence.

Whats the thoughts on this 2019 pack....is it up for the task to compete with the best packs ??

The Who

Journey Man
On paper I'd say Souffs and Easts have the strongest pack.
We'd be in the top eight. We have lost our leading scorer for 2018, Penny, and will be banking on improvements from all the others.
Any optimism we have is based on DESpicable being a miracle worker. It's better than having no optimism I suppose.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Same cattle as this year, minus Lane. We didn't exactly dominate opposition sides this season, but in fairness we didn't have many games at full strength as Sirro, Tangles and Api spent long stints injured

I think we have the core of a good pack, might be one or two players short on depth still though. What I want to see next year is more aggression and commitment in defence, we were embarrassingly soft this season.

There's some talent in the starting 6 so I'm keen to see what Des has in mind for a game plan. Barrett didn't really get the best out of our pack, there's definitely room for improvement

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
On paper I'd say Souffs and Easts have the strongest pack.
Storm too.
Sharks still have plenty of experience despite Lewis retiring.
Panthers have plenty of forward talent.
St Merge also, despite the cloud over whats-his-name.
Cows have some decent forwards too.
Oh, and Bongos have plenty of forward talent coming through...

Freagle

Bencher
Agree with some of the above - our pack is one of the best in the comp at rolling downfield, we make great metres with AFB and Taupau...but moving backwards in defence is where we got hammered last year, too many times torn apart up the middle of the ruck, then spread the ball wide and our backs crumbled. Des won’t cop that, he’ll have them fitter and more focused on being ready to tackle.

manly al

First Grader
.Really need Siro to put in a relatively injury free and solid season . Also very helpful to try and get back that ' hunting as a pack ' mentality that served really well so many previous Des Manly coached sides . The expectation should be that the present Manly forward line up can go well , just how well is up to them no doubt . Looking good at the moment however .

Heckenberg

Reserve Grader
.Really need Siro to put in a relatively injury free and solid season . Also very helpful to try and get back that ' hunting as a pack ' mentality that served really well so many previous Des Manly coached sides . The expectation should be that the present Manly forward line up can go well , just how well is up to them no doubt . Looking good at the moment however .
They must have some faith that his injuries were relatively unlucky and not constant if they have resigned him for more years. Really hoping he comes into his own this year as he has so much promise

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I have faith that all our backs and forwards will go up another level in intensity and all players will function better as a team . That alone will improve our disgraceful 2018 season.
Games are also won in the mind and we have a tougher mindset coach than we did with CoCo boy .
Under CoCo boy his boys showed no resilience on the field what so ever . Under CoCo boy his boys were very submissive when the going got tough and the pathetic results were for all with eyes to see what an affect CoCo boy had on his boys on the field. .
They say attitude is everything and we have everything to play for under Des
I never felt so positive for a long , long time .
Bring 2019 on !!!

Last edited:

sheridanstand78

First Grader
What the pack must do is dominate the ruck because that is a serial weakness in our team over the last 4 years. We need solid go forward to give our halves a chance. Hopefully the fitness levels ensure that our pack does not run out of juice and the defence concedes points as a result.

The Who

Journey Man
Provided Walker is cleared...I think we’ve got a good backline. Just gotta teach everybody to defend & we play finals...I’m certain of it.
1.Turbo
2.Taufua
3.Suli
4.Walker
5.Hopoate
6.Elgey
7.DCE
Hopoate hasn't even played Under 20s, has he? There is no way he'll be ready for 1st grade for at least one season.
Funa and Anderson may get a run this season, and I'd suspect that Sandwich will be given the first chance to be a first grade centre or winger.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14
12 6 6 77 14
11 6 5 -38 14