the Manly culture

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I was wondering the other day about what, if anything, defines 'the Manly Sea Eagles playing style'.

Styles change over the years, partly as the game evolves, and partly due to the particular attributes of playing personnel from time to time. In my mind, exciting backline play has frequently been a feature over the decades. But equally we have been known for great forward strength.

I concluded that the Manly style could be defined by two characteristics: a full-on, never-say-die attitude; and a very positive approach to the game.

Both those things come back to club culture, in my assessment. In our case, the club's culture obviously involves a commitment to striving for success, each and every year. More than that (I would like to think) it equally involves a commitment to achieving that success within the rules and the spirit of the game.

Our results over time have proved our approach is successful. In fact, in terms of team spirit and camaraderie, have we ever been in a healthier position than we have over the past few years? Take a bow Geoff Toovey, and Hasler before him, and the others involved in setting the tone for team spirit year to year.

Manly's positive culture is unparalled in the NRL. From year to year there are plenty of teams with quality rosters that don't quite produce the goods. Club culture, translating to team culture, is obviously a key ingredient every time.

Oh, and if anyone thinks maintaining a positive team mind-set is a simple thing to achieve, just check out current stories from the NFL around locker-room bullying, hazing, and 'toughening up men for a man's game'.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/11/08/nfl-picks-week-10-miami-dolphins-bullying-case-casts-ugly-shadow-on-extravagant-league/

To me Manly have always tried to spread the ball in attack, and don't seem to spend all their time trying to milk penalties or wrestle. Manly are a true rugby league team. Some of the other clubs at times play to get on top by milking the rules and referees.

bones said:
I think thriving on the hatred is a big part of it as well.

I agree. You notice that every year they write us off, we do well. Its a siege mentality that can only be fueled by having a coach that lived the same culture before them. This is why the coaches that succeed at Manly played in Maroon and White as well.

Ok maybe saying "Pioneered" is exaggerating a little but Manly in my eyes were the first team to really polish off the structured use of blockers (more physical use of decoys) in attack and it has been a key to our attacking success over the years.

What appeared at times to be adlib footy with Cliffy was well structured attack on the edges in many instances.

Back in the late 80's and 90's Manly "created" tries while teams like the Broncos relied on super fast play the balls to allow Alfie to weave his magic. I recall distinctly during the 90's Wayne Bennett in an interview pushing for more speed and policing around the ruck. Not long after Super League Touch Footy was on our doorstep that was all about darts from dummy half and openings all over the place.

Manly has always had a decent size presence in the forwards, a good mix of size and class in the centres combined with safe fullbacks.

I actually think this current crop over the last decade loves the area they live in and wants to remain living close to Manly for the long term more so than in the past when players came for the money.

Not so much about playing for the jersey but more wanting to remain with the club due to the standard of living, loving the relaxed isolated beauty of the place, sharing that pride of living in the area with close team mates and wanting a shared success that relies on each player to have pride in their performance for the greater good of the team.

For me, I know that every time the Mighty Sea Eagles run on the field, they EXPECT to win. You can see it in their eyes, their posture, their run. No idea how it's been achieved for so long - but there it is: a winning culture.

Over decades it has been the following: Mental and physical toughness (starts from the Narrabeen sandhills pre-training), a strong team bond, and on the field it has been exciting attack built on passing.

I also think there was some Manly culture growing underneath Wolfie's uncooked steak.

I expect them to win so the culture ebbs down from the hill. I haven't been to a game over the last thirty years without expecting us to win, especially at Brookvale.

Not sure about that one Napper, though plenty of our players have been devout. For example Hasler is very religious, but many others are not.

Interesting quote from Hasler in March 2011. Very little was expected of his team at that time…

''Accountability and respect are the cornerstones,'' Hasler says of the Manly Way. ''But we all have different traits, we all have different beliefs and we all have different values. The accountability is to deliver what you promise to deliver. The respect side of things is that, whatever you believe, we will value and encourage and support.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/the-rock-of-brookvale-20110311-1br5j.html#ixzz2kD5WOXBR

It is intriguing that so many players arrive at Manly from elsewhere and fit it seamlessly. Or so it appears, in any case.

Mediocrity is not tolerated. We never accept a good loss. We never accept close enough is good enough. So many teams would have been satisfied with Manly's finish this year BUT we aren't. It would be looked upon as a failure and that separates us from most other clubs.

Our history suggests that we are always a formidable foe, especially at home, as I have watched the team over the last 40 years or so, Manly are always known as a flamboyant club that plays expansive and attractive football with a balance of mental toughness that has brought in the big wins. To me and I am biased, the 1978 team will always be the benchmark and what our club is all about, no Manly team had as many attributes that I have mentioned as that team.

Nothing sums up the Manly playing style more than our coach. Toughness with a capital T. I think at times our playing style has fluctuated in terms of flair etc (only natural considering the players in the team at any one time), however our toughness hasn't.

Added to this is our ability to thrive under pressure and against the odds. Sometimes we seem to self manufacture that (I think Dessie was the master at that), other times it's easy to bring in the external (ie written off year after year). Other teams just seem to crumble under that sort of pressure (ie The Eels with their dysfunctional board), whereas we seem to draw from it.

A good example of the Seaeagles culture is proven by these players who are rated mediocre at other clubs, suddenly becoming top quality players who would be worth double their salary after a season at Manly.
They come into a club with high expectations & where 2nd best is simply not accepted. The only way to retain a place in the top 17 at Manly these days is to compete in every play for the full 80 minutes, regardless of the odd error or missed tackle, its the attitude that is on trial week in, week out.
As a supporter of Manly since the late 80's the most important shifts internally that have influenced this winning culture imo, were
the signing of Ben Kennedy & the competitive nature Hasler instilled that Tooves upholds today.

Ignoring those dark years from 99-05 whenever I think back over time about successful Manly sides I think quality fullback and halves. We always seem to have some top shelf 1, 6 and 7 that shape our play. We've had decent hookers in the past, but post Max Krilich i don't think we have thrown up an Aussie rake for a while.

We've had more than our fair share of tough forwards as well.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4