The face you make…

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If I have a failure at work , thankfully they're very rare , it affects me terribly. I feel like I've let myself , my company, my colleagues and a client down. I don't go off laughing it up with work colleagues and shrug it off like it's nothing. I know it's not the same thing and these players are a different generation to me but it just irks me. Go and laugh it up off the field where we don't have to see it. Just show some fuking humility. There's more than just themselves at stake with this club.
What do you do for work? Just by way of fair comparison

If I have a failure at work , thankfully they're very rare , it affects me terribly. I feel like I've let myself , my company, my colleagues and a client down. I don't go off laughing it up with work colleagues and shrug it off like it's nothing. I know it's not the same thing and these players are a different generation to me but it just irks me. Go and laugh it up off the field where we don't have to see it. Just show some fuking humility. There's more than just themselves at stake with this club.
I bet you are an engineer? Can't imagine you laughing if you built some bridge and some cars drove over it and the bridge collapsed..

What do you do for work? Just by way of fair comparison

I gave up the big $$$ in Banking, to go into something I'm passionate about - which is to help Aussie families.

If I can help families (or individuals) retain and remain in their homes in times of difficulty, that's how I truly measure success.

If I fail at my measures, tell you what, not only would I not be laughing each week, I suffer anxiety, stress, disappointment in that I've let people down.

Accountability is REAL for some. Blokes like Tuipulotu though, a completely different breed.

It's entertainment.

The Penn Eagles are a business.

The players are paid to perform.

We consume.
happy circus GIF by NBA

I gave up the big $$$ in Banking, to go into something I'm passionate about - which is to help Aussie families.

If I can help families (or individuals) retain and remain in their homes in times of difficulty, that's how I truly measure success.

If I fail at my measures, tell you what, not only would I not be laughing each week, I suffer anxiety, stress, disappointment in that I've let people down.

Accountability is REAL for some. Blokes like Tuipulotu though, a completely different breed.
Sounds like you moved to receiverships or another related role, good on ya getting out of the banks.

As a fellow ex-banker (sales incl.) you've got to admit, you've laughed at the ridiculousness of some of your **** ups on occasion. It's not the most professional thing but sometimes it's inevitable, I can't imagine what I'd say to an old friend who I'll see twice this season if I'm lucky after being physically f*cked for give or take 80+ minutes straight.

Maybe cut him a break on the emotional expression unless you're an expert (I assume you're not), the dude is 22 years old and he's not the first to do it.

Definitely played like a spud but, this picture is still irrelevant. He should be (not) picked on form and I personally would take almost anyone else at this point though, so yeah make of it what you will 🤷‍♀️

What do we want from these players? At junior level some of you jelly bellies will remember “three cheers” why? Because it is a game, and you acknowledge the winner with grace and don’t carry on like a spoilt brat

I remember the emotional fallout from losing a soccer GF many years ago - I was broken.

I remember the emotional fallout from missing a place in a JP Morgan Corp challenge final place by 3 seconds - I was broken

Both of those were pinnacles of my sporting career and I just lost. But I didn’t blubber in the lead up to it. Yes there were losses on the way but I focused on the future and didn’t get snotty at the people that were better me on the day. If I exerted the amount of emotional energy (or bad sportsmanship possibly) that many of you expect of these guys, they will never win a match as they will always be mentally and emotionally exhausted.

No one is suggesting they should be emotionally wrecked or 'blubbering'.

No one is suggesting they should be bad sports (you can shake someone's hand without laughing?).

Some of us of just of the belief that they could care about the result enough to not be in the mood for laughter.

No wonder we turn up flat most weeks. The result clearly doesn't matter much to some of these guys. Aren't they earning hundreds of thousands to care?

Competitive drive is a primal and innate quality in strong characters.

Should we hand out the McDonalds 'best and fairest' Happy Meal award with your three cheers and funnel the hundreds of thousands of dollars into charity instead?

No one is suggesting they should be emotionally wrecked or 'blubbering'.

No one is suggesting they should be bad sports (you can shake someone's hand without laughing?).

Some of us of just of the belief that they could care about the result enough to not be in the mood for laughter.

No wonder we turn up flat most weeks. The result clearly doesn't matter much to some of these guys. Aren't they earning hundreds of thousands to care?

Competitive drive is a primal and innate quality in strong characters.

Should we hand out the McDonalds 'best and fairest' Happy Meal award with your three cheers and funnel the hundreds of thousands of dollars into charity instead?
It is not primal and I respectfully disagree

A photo is a snapshot, please do we have photos of them in the sheds and video review on Monday?

I will be able to take snapshots of players in every losing team this weekend laughing or being gracious. We were a team that was without key positions filled and we were unlikely if never going to win it. It doesn't mean they don't have drive, it means they realise this game is designed for a winner and loser, or un the case we had this year a draw...and then many lost their marbles about that. Simply you can't win every game and. Laughing or smiling does not reflect someones competitive drive, it reflects the emotional investment of a supporter when they react to it

Last edited:
Sounds like you moved to receiverships or another related role, good on ya getting out of the banks.

As a fellow ex-banker (sales incl.) you've got to admit, you've laughed at the ridiculousness of some of your **** ups on occasion. It's not the most professional thing but sometimes it's inevitable, I can't imagine what I'd say to an old friend who I'll see twice this season if I'm lucky after being physically f*cked for give or take 80+ minutes straight.

Maybe cut him a break on the emotional expression unless you're an expert (I assume you're not), the dude is 22 years old and he's not the first to do it.

Definitely played like a spud but, this picture is still irrelevant. He should be (not) picked on form and I personally would take almost anyone else at this point though, so yeah make of it what you will 🤷‍♀️

Hey mate. I'm now part of the Ombudsman service.

In regards to making mistakes in Banking: It very rarely occured, but when it did, my experience was that they made you feel so low, bad and awful, it regressed to suicidal thoughts, stress leave, bullying and depression.

I do not envy anyone who works in a sales role at a Bank. You'd have thought the garish, mean tactics to drive sales was a prehistoric measure, but in my experience, it only got worse as time moved on.

But agree with you mate that this image is a one off example. His form should dictate his praise and / or criticism. And I'll use your description, and say that after a few decent games to begin his career, he's been nothing but a spud since.

I manage a team of technicians and if I screw up and let them down then clients lose money.
Thanks for your succinct reply - and @Ryan thanks for your typically verbose response

You have both confirmed what I was angling at. Each of you operate in a business with real consequence for failure - and you are engaged in that.

These guys play a game, and get paid for it (good for them). But there is no consequence for failing, maybe they miss a bonus payment - but apart from mug punters that foolishly part with their money on a bet I don't see how what they do compares to your professional career with real impact.

I think you need to also reflect on the fact that they aren't paid just to play, but to train... Look at what happened when Schu was not living up to requirements as a first grader, he got dropped and told we expect more (or maybe he asked to have a few weeks off). Based on that we can understand there is expectations of the team.

(edit) I was typing my post while @Ryan was responding to another post. in no way was the above reflecting a response to his latest post. And as another ex financial services (and ANZ alumni) I understand the stresses the job brings

Thanks for your succinct reply - and @Ryan thanks for your typically verbose response

You have both confirmed what I was angling at. Each of you operate in a business with real consequence for failure - and you are engaged in that.

These guys play a game, and get paid for it (good for them). But there is no consequence for failing, maybe they miss a bonus payment - but apart from mug punters that foolishly part with their money on a bet I don't see how what they do compares to your professional career with real impact.

I think you need to also reflect on the fact that they aren't paid just to play, but to train... Look at what happened when Schu was not living up to requirements as a first grader, he got dropped and told we expect more (or maybe he asked to have a few weeks off). Based on that we can understand there is expectations of the team.

I don't mean to sound verbose, but you do find a way to criticize me in almost every reply you make?

Anyways, a players performance affects a good many things. His career for starters. His team mates careers. His clubs performances, which generally drive memberships / sponsorships / goodwill. These are community investments. Sports is a galvanizing event that brings together communities - footy is more than just sports and entertainment. It's therapy and an outlet for some. It's others social lives. It's many different things to many different people.

I think it's only fair that people want to see passion, effort, commitment from their teams on that basis.

When your team is winning 6 in 22 matches since their refusal to play, seeing one of the actual players who refused to play laugh up a storm post match would obviously be frustrating to some.

I'm sorry if that's verbose. I tried to word it as warmly as I could to avoid your next shot at me. Not sure what you want from me? Do you want me to tell you you're better than me or something, because I'll do that if it'll make you back off for a few seconds?

If I fail at work, the power goes off.
Remember kids, coal keeps the lights on 😉

I don't mean to sound verbose, but you do find a way to criticize me in almost every reply you make?

Anyways, a players performance affects a good many things. His career for starters. His team mates careers. His clubs performances, which generally drive memberships / sponsorships / goodwill. These are community investments. Sports is a galvanizing event that brings together communities - footy is more than just sports and entertainment. It's therapy and an outlet for some. It's others social lives. It's many different things to many different people.

I think it's only fair that people want to see passion, effort, commitment from their teams on that basis.

When your team is winning 6 in 22 matches since their refusal to play, seeing one of the actual players who refused to play laugh up a storm post match would obviously be frustrating to some.

I'm sorry if that's verbose. I tried to word it as warmly as I could to avoid your next shot at me. Not sure what you want from me? Do you want me to tell you you're better than me or something, because I'll do that if it'll make you back off for a few seconds?
No shot - I thought after our years of sparring you would see it was a friendly jab (I'm not the most succinct either). edit on reflection an emoji to reflect a friendly joke would have been appropriate in my previous post to ensure no misunderstanding

I don't disagree about "passion, effort, commitment" just how people believe that should be displayed

Sorry if you were offended

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8