That "Empty" feeling

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Generally I feel like a fairly positive bloke, in fact some good friends claim over the top positive and that's fine.
But I want to ask a "real" question to my Silvertail friends....
Watching Manly play, in certain games like these games where we clutch defeat from the jaws of victory and when everyone seems suprised (while I can feel it/see it coming).
Does anyone else get that helpless, frustrating feeling where it's like the air has come out of the game and there is zero chance of a spark to lift the players who have fallen flat.....especially after a bit of adversity and there's a vibe you can feel we are shot and it's only a matter of time before the opposition finishes us off ??
Not being rude
Not being a smart a**
The reason I ask, I always felt we were a chance of winning the arm wrestle or could pull the cat out the bag in almost every game....but the past few years when we are on the slide, we drop off the cliff 100% of the time and it's like you can write the last page before you get there.
Do any others get "That empty feeling" ??

Generally I feel like a fairly positive bloke, in fact some good friends claim over the top positive and that's fine.
Watching Manly play, in certain games like these games where we clutch defeat from the jaws of victory and when everyone seems suprised (while I can feel it/see it coming).
Does anyone else get that helpless, frustrating feeling where it's like the air has come out of the game and there is zero chance of a spark to lift the players who have fallen flat.....especially after a bit of adversity and there's a vibe you can feel we are shot and it's only a matter of time before the opposition finishes us off ??
Not being rude
Not being a smart a**
The reason I ask, I always felt we were a chance of winning the arm wrestle or could pull the cat out the bag in almost every game....but the past few years when we are on the slide, we drop off the cliff 100% of the time and it's like you can write the last page before you get there.
Yep, I know what you mean mate

Yeah you watch the game and you can feel there going to get beat here . You have yourself saying we need another try cause there not going to hold this lead
I've noticed lately that when they get inside the opposing teams 20 they start to rush things it's like they speed up when they don't need to
I compare it to my golf , practice swing is great hover that white ball the money drive and all goes to S#!t anyways back to the subject
They play more positive in there own 1/2 not so in the opposing 1/2
Same with defence

Last edited:
Does anyone feel the reason we have no line speed is because of the "worry" of getting penalised? I reckon Manly try to limit penalties since they're can't defend.

Not logical, since we consistently continue to kick possession away early in our sets.

I never expect a win anymore from this team, from any position. Doesn't matter how many points we are up, we are so fragile that we can still find multiple ways to lose. If it's a close game and the other team has the ball anywhere near our line, a try is almost a given. Conversely, if we get a chance to seal a win, I'm almost certain we will f**k it up: dropped balls, poor options, passes over the sidelines - we can do it all!

It never feels like we will win "the arm wrestle" because we just don't want any part of it. This is a team that thrives on easy options and hero plays. If it's hard, we won't do it.

I guess every team always has some chance of a win in every NRL game, but there is no objective reason to feel confident that Manly is better than any of the other 16 teams in the competition. It's not so much that I can't think of a team we could beat as much as I can't think of any team in the NRL we couldn't lose to.

In our “Winning Years” it was exactly opposite, we played for each other, had that winning mentality, played for the badge ,and it was us that won games coming from behind !
The current team does not play for each other , and what’s more there is a attitude to not trust each other especially in defence.
This attitude is the responsibility of the senior players and coaches, and sadly we are lacking big time in this area. How else can you explain the big leads we create and then just fade away ??
THERE IS A TEAM SOMEWHERE IN THERE, BUT WHEN THE MOMENTUM GOES AGAINST US, YOU DON’T PLAY FOR EACH OTHER AS A TEAM.
So you senior players and coaches getting paid big bucks need to get off your arses and at training forget about ball work, running etc …and concentrate solely on attitude under adversity, playing for each other and your defensive drills.
GOOD LUCK AND GO MANLY !!

Does anyone feel the reason we have no line speed is because of the "worry" of getting penalised? I reckon Manly try to limit penalties since they're can't defend.
I had someone watching the game the other night make that EXACT point
I get it, but feel it's our big bodies getting stranded at marker with the opposition attacker getting to his feet before our bloke who made the tackle due to both mobility and energy with sprinkles of attitude at times also, but your point could contribute also...

My young fellas U10s soccer team is the same, again today, race out to a big lead then put the butterfly chasing crayon chewer in goalie and he lets the goals in and they lose.
We have a few crayon chewers in our Eagles side.

I had someone watching the game the other night make that EXACT point
I get it, but feel it's our big bodies getting stranded at marker with the opposition attacker getting to his feet before our bloke who made the tackle due to both mobility and energy with sprinkles of attitude at times also, but your point could contribute also...
I also think the refs are speeding up the ruck for other sides and we just can’t keep up. Our ruck speed is diabolically slow and we rely too much on a power game from our forwards as opposed to quick play the balls and darting runs around the ruck. Basically what we are missing is what other teams are exploiting us with.

In our “Winning Years” it was exactly opposite, we played for each other, had that winning mentality, played for the badge ,and it was us that won games coming from behind !
The current team does not play for each other , and what’s more there is a attitude to not trust each other especially in defence.
This attitude is the responsibility of the senior players and coaches, and sadly we are lacking big time in this area. How else can you explain the big leads we create and then just fade away ??
THERE IS A TEAM SOMEWHERE IN THERE, BUT WHEN THE MOMENTUM GOES AGAINST US, YOU DON’T PLAY FOR EACH OTHER AS A TEAM.
So you senior players and coaches getting paid big bucks need to get off your arses and at training forget about ball work, running etc …and concentrate solely on attitude under adversity, playing for each other and your defensive drills.
I feel this 100%.....looking at other fans relating to that early defeat with game in motion, I feel a little sad...and felt I my negativity was blurring my vision.....now I know this has become a normal vibe amongst the loyal Silvertail family ....

My young fellas U10s soccer team is the same, again today, race out to a big lead then put the butterfly chasing crayon chewer in goalie and he lets the goals in and they lose.
We have a few crayon chewers in our Eagles side.
I seen a baseball movie once called " The Natural" and always remember something from it that I have found accurate in all sports in real life.
Losing is contagious and until you break the curse will find a way to lose.....same with winning which is why Chsmpion teams "find a way" even against adversity.
Great movie too for those looking for a good watch.

I also think the refs are speeding up the ruck for other sides and we just can’t keep up. Our ruck speed is diabolically slow and we rely too much on a power game from our forwards as opposed to quick play the balls and darting runs around the ruck. Basically what we are missing is what other teams are exploiting us with.
True this
Totally agree

My claim to fame as a coach was under 12's, but I totally agree with this.
The pretty stuff is NOT the way out of a tough situation and in tight games while the opposition rolls up the sleeves and go's to war, we play sideways trick stuff that either ends in error or poor field position and that physical toughness battle is lost EVERY Time

Lot of home truths in this thread, said it the other day, I’m never confident this side will deliver, even when up you still think we’re going to get run down, because it just keeps happening, as opposed to our 95 ,96, 97 sides where you never expected we’d do anything but win, sad as a pile of steaming dog sh1t.

Not being rude
Not being a smart a**
Yep I 1000% agree with this sinking feeling re your comment

And until Penn sells up that feeling won't be going away anytime soon, that sinking feeling every decision they make is leading us further and further away from a GF.

They make following this club i love very hard to right now

Last edited:
Not being rude
Not being a smart a**
Yes @maxta you've summed it up perfectly. Been feeling it since 2015. You just know we are going to roll over like a fat dog begging for food. The whole team just drops collectively into the melancholy that has seeped through this club for a decade. Ever since Penn took control and THAT backflip. If we get behind with 10-15 min to go you just know we are gone. There's no fight , no determination and no ability to break the malaise.

This is seriously the saddest thread I've ever read on Silvertsils because it's so true. The whole club just has that loser , hopelessness about it , heading towards the Tigers, Titans, Dragons no hope.. I don't see it turning around for a long time until all those associated with the club are long gone. That's senior players, coaches , admin and owner.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11