Story: Rex "Moose" Mossop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

EaglesDontTweet

Bencher
Premium Member
Today in History

Rex Mossop rammed his ‘moose’ grammar down our throat
Marea Donnelly, History writer, The Daily Telegraph Feb 17, 2018

HE enjoyed a brilliant rugby career in union and league, then helped pioneer prime-time television sports broadcasting. Yet the best remembered Rex Mossop moment did not occur on the screen or rugby field.

Instead, it was his private role in 1976 as an avid campaigner against nude bathing at Sydney Harbour beaches, when he made a citizen’s arrest of a nudist who walked naked from Reef Beach past Mossop’s family home at Balgowlah.

Renowned for grammatical flamboyance, Mossop left everyone flabbergasted with his graphic argument in his own defence, insisting he “didn’t think male genitalia should be rammed down people’s throats”.

Mossop was born 90 years ago, on February 18, 1928, at Five Dock, the younger son of WWI veteran Norman who had been wounded in battle at Passchendale, and his wife Nellie. The family moved from Five Dock to Balgowlah when he was five, and Mossop attended Manly Boys High School, leaving in 1943 to become an apprentice fitter and turner. His older brother Kirk later became an artist.

rex mossop.jpg

Full story at link: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...t/news-story/0dc74cd3682c6cd56d258201cedb1618

There was only one Moose, Sunday nights were always entertaining as a kid watching the Sea Eagles soar and Rex describe so many of our big wins in the 1970s.

One thing I loved about Rex was that as passionate as he was about Manly he was also objective and critical when he needed to be. I despise how today we see commentators that support certain clubs and their bias does not include objectivity when their team doesn't perform.

I remember Rex's one-liners, "the gap was as wide as the Sydney heads" "Bless my soul" "I'm flabbergasted!! flabbergasted!!"

He was unique!!!

... and how about 'The Club Show' .... Rex, Ferris Ashton & Norman Erskine ... classic

We could do worse than rename the rugby league forum Controversy Corner.

Controversy Corner was a staple of each Sunday: be it the Comm Bank "pass the ball" the chat & interviews & the guests walking away with a ham from Meapro, a Pelaco shirt, Patra Orange Juice & a sauna vouchure - courtesy of Ferris Ashton!

I never had the pleasure of seeing Rex play (don't think we even had a telly in '63) but one thing I've noticed in pics I've seen of him playing is his innovative short sleeves many years before they became the norm (league progressing from full to 3/4 sleeves through the '70's).

When I was 6, I was waiting for my school bus to take me from Balgowlah to Manly West Public. We laid fallen palm tree fronds across the road to stop traffic for a bit of fun. Unfortunately the first car that it stopped was Rex Mossip. He gave us a blasting and took us to school to report it the principal. He was very big, very loud and very scary to a 6 year old.

Rex must have been one tough Dude on the footy field and for such a quite long career . resilient and durable as well . Just a larger then life , successful, colourfull and unique individual .

Only ever seen footage of this tough bastard known as the moose . Actually could of got a start in underbelly as a standover no nonsense bodyguard of Roger the dodger Rogerson.

When I was 6, I was waiting for my school bus to take me from Balgowlah to Manly West Public. We laid fallen palm tree fronds across the road to stop traffic for a bit of fun. Unfortunately the first car that it stopped was Rex Mossip. He gave us a blasting and took us to school to report it the principal. He was very big, very loud and very scary to a 6 year old.

He was also big, loud and very scary to any grown ups unlucky enough to play touch against him in later years ....

I remember my old man laughing his arse off when the nudist saga was going off. I'd only just jumped on the Manly bandwagon at that stage, and thought if the old man likes him I must be on a good thing following Manly.
How fkn funny would it be to have Rex still around commenting on not only the mess the NRL are in, but life in general. The same sex debate springs to mind!
Can you imagine the uproar if he trotted out
“A brainy woman is a dangerous woman’’, and on homosexuality he insisted, “I’m not homophobic, I just don’t want anything to do with them.’’:rofl::clap::giggle:

.....and how good is it to read his comments on Arko. Huge man-love for him.

The world is a poorer place without the Moose.

His voice is still rugby league for me.

The character, Well he didn't mix is words, I'll rephrase that he said what he was thinking with a certain lyrical genius didn't he?

A tough old bastard.

He was just anti politically correct wasn't he?

As a nipper I loved how passionate he was for Manly.

I don't recall exactly how he worded it. But a Sunday afternoon early 90's era, man lost a game.

I will never forget the silence and just jaw dropping horror that followed after he said something along the lines of.

my football team lost. I'm going home now to kick my dog and bash my wife. Actually I love my dog.

Only the Moose.

I'd love to know the story, but you just know with the Moose someone told him that day he had to be more PC.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12