Storm caught using 'rotten tactics' in tackles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Storm caught using 'rotten tactics' in tackles

0,,5969187,00.jpg

Nasty business ... Storm forward Jeff Lima locks the arm of Shark Ben Ross. Photograph courtesy Fox Sports / The Daily Telegraph

THESE are the dangerous tackles NRL officials desperately hoped had been eradicated from the game forever.

But they show Melbourne Storm up to their old tricks - using the "ripper" tackle during matches this season against Cronulla and the Sydney Roosters.

Storm players can clearly be seen pulling and jerking opposition players' arms and legs in wrestling moves that former Test toughman Gorden Tallis described as "completely rotten".

Roosters captain Craig Fitzgibbon was furious when his arm was twisted by Storm player Anthony Quinn last Saturday.

Fitzgibbon approached Quinn at fulltime to vent his frustration at the tackle.

NRL officials yesterday spoke about the Storm's persistent wrestling moves while Brisbane - Melbourne's opponents tonight - also expressed concerns.

"There is no place for it in rugby league. All these wrestling holds are a blight on the game and you can't tell me they are accidental. Teams train to do it and I can't stand it," Tallis said.

"I'd like to see all the coaches who use wrestling coaches put in these holds themselves and see how much they like it.

"They talk about player welfare but then they coach their players to use moves essentially aimed at hurting people."

Asked were Melbourne the main culprits, Tallis said: "I don't think they are the only ones, but again it is a couple of their tackles that have been highlighted.

"I love watching Melbourne play. They are a great team, with a great coach. They are good enough without allowing that sort of rubbish to creep into their game."

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley yesterday spoke with Storm coach Craig Bellamy about the tackles: "(NRL referees coach) Robert Finch had already flagged a number of these incidents as part of his review of weekend matches," Annesley said.

"I've spoken to Craig Bellamy today and he is adamant his players are not being coached to use any special wrestling holds in tackles.

"Craig said that if any of his players use any dangerous techniques of their own volition he has no problem with action being taken.

"From the NRL's perspective the referees and match review committee will closely scrutinise all games for illegal or dangerous tackles."

Fitzgibbon was keen to play down the Quinn incident yesterday but said the NRL should closely monitor any "ripper" tackles.

"I got caught in an unfortunate position where I was flat on the ground on my stomach," he said.

"They tried to slow me down by latching onto my arm. I don't want to create any untoward attention."

Asked should be rule be changed, Fitzgibbon said: "It's something they should look at."

In the lead-up to tonight's game at Olympic Park, Broncos assistant coach Ivan Henjak said: "The officials have been made aware of it and I'm pretty sure they'll handle that."

Until I see a Figure 4 Leg Lock then I won't believe that their wrestling coach knows anything.

What do they expect when footballers are so dumb that the only thing on TV that can engage their attention span is the pathetic theatrics of WWF?

yep, they have not been coached in it.

Same club also said they didnt have a wrestling coach when this first started.

They will be dead within 2 years, news' club will be the bongos and the storms qldrs will follow falou and bellamy

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6