Staying Neutral šŸ™„

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Chunkytuna

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member
I donā€™t know if anyone else has heard the players repeating this mantra that they seemed to have adopted this year - ā€œstaying neutralā€™? Iā€™ve mainly heard Ola saying it. Iā€™m assuming it means not getting too high or getting too low. Great advice for general life but IMO not a great way of playing sport - particularly a high energy, high aggression contact sport.

To me, it smacks of a classic ā€˜Seiboldismā€™ - some kind of clever platitude that has some theoretical benefit, but totally useless in a practical sense.

If Iā€™m a coach Iā€™m telling my players that during a game, I donā€™t want you neutral - I want you in top gear and foot to the fuken floor!!! For the whole 80 minutes!!! Thatā€™s what the good teams like Penrith (and sharks at the moment) do. Theyā€™re not calmly staying neutral, theyā€™re going full tilt all game! After the game fine, thatā€™s the time to get neutral.

Interested to hear others thoughts on this but to me this is emblematic of how our team plays. Not ruthless or energetic enough and drift in and out of games - hence letting good leads go, and not winning close games. And actually, I think Olakuatu himself plays way too much ā€˜in neutralā€™. Nowhere near enough aggression. I think Seibold needs to rethink the whole ā€˜staying neutralā€™ thing because the team needs to be way more dialled in if theyā€™re any chance of make a splash in this competition.

I donā€™t know if anyone else has heard the players repeating this mantra that they seemed to have adopted this year - ā€œstaying neutralā€™? Iā€™ve mainly heard Ola saying it. Iā€™m assuming it means not getting too high or getting too low. Great advice for general life but IMO not a great way of playing sport - particularly a high energy, high aggression contact sport.

To me, it smacks of a classic ā€˜Seiboldismā€™ - some kind of clever platitude that has some theoretical benefit, but totally useless in a practical sense.

If Iā€™m a coach Iā€™m telling my players that during a game, I donā€™t want you neutral - I want you in top gear and foot to the fuken floor!!! For the whole 80 minutes!!! Thatā€™s what the good teams like Penrith (and sharks at the moment) do. Theyā€™re not calmly staying neutral, theyā€™re going full tilt all game! After the game fine, thatā€™s the time to get neutral.

Interested to hear others thoughts on this but to me this is emblematic of how our team plays. Not ruthless or energetic enough and drift in and out of games - hence letting good leads go, and not winning close games. And actually, I think Olakuatu himself plays way too much ā€˜in neutralā€™. Nowhere near enough aggression. I think Seibold needs to rethink the whole ā€˜staying neutralā€™ thing because the team needs to be way more dialled in if theyā€™re any chance of make a splash in this competition.
If we had a solid game plan and equally consistent strengths in defence and attack it would make sense.

Clearly we donā€™t so it is an inappropriate approach.

If Iā€™m a coach Iā€™m telling my players that during a game, I donā€™t want you neutral - I want you in top gear and foot to the fuken floor!!! For the whole 80 minutes!!! Thatā€™s what the good teams like Penrith (and sharks at the moment) do. Theyā€™re not calmly staying neutral, theyā€™re going full tilt all game! Af
So how did neutral Manly beat full tilt Penrith? @:D

I'm a rusted-on Blues supporter but I remember one series when Mal Meninga was captaining QLD, he had the boys in a huddle before the game (they had the camera and the mic up close) and you could actually hear him say let's smash these Fkn C...s, in retrospect, I'm pretty sure the blues captain was probably saying the same thing.
That kind of passion is infectious that's the passion I used to see when I was standing on the hill at Brooky watching guys like Graham Eadie, Terry Randall, Ian Martin or even Stuart Davis.
I'm not denigrating or saying this current team doesn't play with effort, I just wonder how much they play for each other because sometimes that can be the difference between winning and losing, those 1% plays you make because you don't want to let your mates down.

Not sure if this ā€œmantraā€ is of Seiboldā€™s doing,but if it is,it wouldnā€™t surprise me.There were stories coming out of the Broncos during his tenure,that he was over complicating things with the players.Too much info and psycho-babble

An eye to future relocation?ā€¦

The Swiss Sea Eagles playing out of St. Jakob-Park

An eye to future relocation?ā€¦

The Swiss Sea Eagles playing out of St. Jakob-Park
They could hole up across the border at their near namesake, the Schloss Adler in Bavaria*:

IMG_9725.jpeg

*Actually the Hohenwerfen Schloss in Austria

Staying neutral wins you 40 something percent of your games last year. Okay, we are at 50% of our games this year, but that"LL be in the 40's , possibly 30's over the next few weeks.

That's what being neutral gets you.

One of your best Siebs.

That neutrality shows in our paper thin Defense

I am not on the anti Seiblob train, but he does like doing the science 1 liners stuff and personally, my belief in footy is keep the symbolic strategies of yesteryear in the sense of - play tough, uncompromising footy - run harder than them - hit harder than them ....and I feel you will then earn the right to play that pretty footy and allow the DCE and Tom X factors to shine
Currently it seems in the wrong order
Let's shift all day and score enough points to win....if only Manly played that but tougher both mentally and pays and not worry about being or playing neutral and then we can exploit our X factor players so much more

I think it comes from the "mindset coach", who was recently brought to the club. Mind you, last weekend I had somebody who purports to be a friend of our mindset coach telling me the bloke was an absolute idiot and has no idea what he's doingā€¦ Made me wonder what his enemies might say.

Interesting...

I think the mindset is obviously the big problem at the club, given we've had no trouble getting out to leads and are stacked with talent. It's clearly a mental concern.

Someone mentioned in another thread that we defend like we are waiting to get the ball back. I think that's a pretty good way of summing it up. We play like we do not enjoy defending. We are simply getting through a necessity in preparation for what we will do with the ball when we get it back.

In some ways, the ease at which we are able to shift the ball and score at times, only feeds into that mindset. The fact that it always feels like we are a scoring chance, and will often either score or go within a whisker, we are itching to get the ball back and have another go.

Given the talent in our squad, I think it's madness to focus so much on using the ball. Strong, resolute defence and percentages with the ball, have won games for a hundred years.

My solution for fixing our mess is to buy a genuine 9 (use the Schuster money) that can bring our forwards onto the ball, so we do not need to rely on shifting in our own half to make yards. Kick long, tackle hard. Attack will come. It's a simple game.

Interesting...

I think the mindset is obviously the big problem at the club, given we've had no trouble getting out to leads and are stacked with talent. It's clearly a mental concern.

Someone mentioned in another thread that we defend like we are waiting to get the ball back. I think that's a pretty good way of summing it up. We play like we do not enjoy defending. We are simply getting through a necessity in preparation for what we will do with the ball when we get it back.

In some ways, the ease at which we are able to shift the ball and score at times, only feeds into that mindset. The fact that it always feels like we are a scoring chance, and will often either score or go within a whisker, we are itching to get the ball back and have another go.

Given the talent in our squad, I think it's madness to focus so much on using the ball. Strong, resolute defence and percentages with the ball, have won games for a hundred years.

My solution for fixing our mess is to buy a genuine 9 (use the Schuster money) that can bring our forwards onto the ball, so we do not need to rely on shifting in our own half to make yards. Kick long, tackle hard. Attack will come. It's a simple game.
It is a simple game,hence why the best coaches are the ones who keep it simple.Not the ones who feed the players too much information and complicate things.Theyā€™re not trying to split an atom.Although some of these players couldnā€™t split a banana

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11