Some context to the current 'crisis'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

xavier

In the midst of all the carrying on at Manly, I'm wandering if there's a precedent for the kind of actions attributed to the senior playing group. Can anyone recall a player faction of a club reacting this way to the non signing of a mate at the back end of his career? I'm sure that it happens at times, but the extent of this situation, the threats of breaking contracts and the flagrant carrying on to the media, I think is unprecedented.

The best comparable situation I can recall is when Newcastle let go Mathew Johns and kept his brother. Though i don't think this went down well, I can't recall Joey threatening to leave the club??

This is why the whole thing is hard to take. If some are unhappy and want to leave, that is fine, but to try to break contracts in order to leave and to dump on the club in public is not.

Players come and go at clubs all the time, the salary cap makes player retention a complex juggling act which requires hard headed decisions.

Take Menzies release in 2008. Few would argue that Hasler/cleals decision was one of the worst ever made at our club. Menzies was not only a club legend but a freak of a player who easily could have played on for another 3 years at the top level. And while the current bunch talk about 'sacrifices for the club', during his career Menzies turned down top notch offers from other clubs to remain at a club that, post 1998 was routinely getting flogged. Did Menzies complain when shafted like this in 2008?. Did any players threaten to revolt at the treachery/stupidity of Hasler and Cleal. No, he played 5 more years overseas cos he didn't want to play against Manly.

Menzies reward is that he will be remembered as one of the all time greats (in my estimation, the greatest Sea Eagle of all).

Its a pity that Watmough and Stewart in particular arent able to recognise what is at stake in regard to their current dummy spit. They've got at best a few more years of playing left and then the rest of their lives to live off the reputation that they've earned. Both are already Manly legends. If they leave now under the current circumstances, they'll jeopardise this, alienate the Manly fans that have worshipped them for the last decade, and end up in all likelihood on the end of floggings every second week at a club that they have no really identification or affinity with. They'll also be under enormous pressure to perform at clubs that are not likely to tolerate them under performing and/or injured.

I think a bit of perspective is needed at the moment. ITs understandable to be upset at Management decisions, but the club will go on without them and there's evidence to suggest that it will remain successful. Where will that leave them?

Most of the other 15 teams are "in crisis". Look at Tigers, Brisbane, Newcastle, Dogs, Titans, Eels, Cronulla, Canberra . . .
Then we have the 'Riff, Worriers and Easts wobbling, Souffs wanting to punt their halfback and Illawarra missing out on their preferred coach.
Only the Storm and the 'Boys would be happy with their recent performances.
I say if Manly is "in crisis" may it continue forever.

They could potentially all walk out to ESL in 2015 :cool: Killer did it, so nothing revolutionary in breaking a contract to sign another outside of the NRL jurisdiction.

But Manly will continue to thrive and some of the fringe Players will become Manly Legends themselves :angel:

The circle of life :sleepy:

I thought the purpose of this thread was to look at "the current crisis in context". Most of this crisis has been played out by the mass media. I know Foran has said Matai asked for a release and that he thinks the club should look at it favourably. Watmough has said similar things. Outside of that I haven't heard peep from the players mouths. I may be wrong but I haven't heard either of the Stewart brothers say a single word on the "issue".

I think if you want to put real context on the issue then listen to what Tooves said in his post-match press conference yesterday. He was quizzed about how the team is performing so well in light of the events of the last week. His response was;

"The issue is no-where near as big as it is being portrayed in the media". Or words to that effect.

Things will play out. We can't change it. Let's move on.

The Dishlickers are the ones in crises. Apparently the senior players are dirty at the club for not even tabling an offer to their current club Captain Michael Ennis. It is said that this decision has so infuriated the senior playing group that some of them want out of the Club and it is this that is behind their current mini slump.

Ralphie said:
The Dishlickers are the ones in crises. Apparently the senior players are dirty at the club for not even tabling an offer to their current club Captain Michael Ennis. It is said that this decision has so infuriated the senior playing group that some of them want out of the Club and it is this that is behind their current mini slump.

It is said ?

Lol you should write for the Telegraph.

Ralphie said:
Perhaps it is their true ability showing through now is the reason for their current slump

The Who said:
Most of the other 15 teams are "in crisis". Look at Tigers, Brisbane, Newcastle, Dogs, Titans, Eels, Cronulla, Canberra . . .
Then we have the 'Riff, Worriers and Easts wobbling, Souffs wanting to punt their halfback and Illawarra missing out on their preferred coach.
Only the Storm and the 'Boys would be happy with their recent performances.
I say if Manly is "in crisis" may it continue forever.
if we that are leading the comp are a club in crisis the rest of the other teams must be
totally Fkd .

bones said:
Ralphie said:

It is said ?

Sorry, I wasn't sure what emoticon represented satire, so I tried to write it so that it would be obvious. I guess I failed.

For clarity, this was written with my tongue firmly in my cheek.

Ralphie said:
bones said:
Ralphie said:

It is said ?

Sorry, I wasn't sure what emoticon represented satire, so I tried to write it so that it would be obvious. I guess I failed.

For clarity, this was written with my tongue firmly in my cheek.

Lol well done :p

Thought I would make my first post a reality check for all the haters out there.

Sea Eagles Survival Guide - (1947-forever)
- 1978 - 5 finals games in 17 days
- Bob Fulton leaving
- Super League war
- News Limited anti-Manly Propoganda
- Northern Eagles debacle
- David Gallop
- Hasler leaving
- 2014 upheaval
- and anything anybody wants to throw at us anytime!!!

All of these things were going to bring us down! This is a club in the true sense of the word and it has, is and will be forever BIGGER than any 1 person!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8