Some 1988 games

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wow, what amazing memories,

Penrith, swinging arms, crusher, des go well. Trip by shearer.

Parra destroyed

I was at this incredibly tense match. An aged gartner playing for balmain.
What priceless memories, I attended all those games and I remember them like it was yesterday. Smashing the whingers at their stadium after the damage they did to us in 82 and 83 and to see their fans piss off with 20 minutes left was priceless, I remember Crusher Cleal devastating them, Cliffy running them ragged and the class of Michael O'Connor and Dale Shearer cutting them to pieces and big Don McKinnon have a day out until he hurt his shoulder, Sterlo throwing an intercept pass that was gobbled up by Cliffy, that day was nirvana for Manly!!

The Tigers game was a tough and uncompromising one and we got very lucky that day as they had a try disallowed and were the better team for most of that game, that defeat stirred them up so much that they easily eliminated us in the knock out final.

The game at Penrith was special as it was their record crowd at the time and Manly overcame some serious adversity to win a game that confirmed our finals spot and relegated the Riff to a play off.

Great memories of a great team!!

I still rate the 1988 and 1995 teams as the best Manly teams to not win the comp, and they were better than most of the Manly teams that did with the comp. I think in both cases they had their only dips of the year in the finals.

I think I went to about 18 Manly games that year. Beautiful memories including the 30-0 win over Great Britain.

NYEagle

Really missed Rambo Gibbs and Kevin Ward in the forwards in 1998 , looked even stronger in the backs with the addition of the strong attacking Matt Burke but clearly recall the forwards being outplayed as a unit particularly when Manly was knocked out in the i st week of the finals by the Tigers . Even so , may have been some sort of a shot at another title as they were probably at least the equal of eventual premiers the Bull Dogs and when Manly were at full strength . What a terrible time to have a form slump in the finals of 1995 when Manly were clearly the best performed side during that season and prior to the finals . 1991 was another year when Manly should have had a decent opportunity to go all the way for a title win , missing O " Conner , Ian Roberts and Des in a major play off and still almost piping eventual runners up The Raiders in that elimination final . What could have been , what should have been , just all part of any sporting code folklore and Rugby League is no different of course .

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8