so seriously-do refs REALLY decide the result of games

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

bazeagle

Bencher
I read many times on this site that Greenburg somehow has a way of jinxing Manly and lots of talk of refs blowing dubious penalties or skewing the penalty count in games to favour a side.

so is it fan frustration or is this an area that needs to be heavily scrutinised instead of endless salary cap bollocks?

The Who

Journey Man
An NRL referee has the most influence over the outcome of a match than any player.
Talk of bribing players is misdirected. Clever gamblers know it's the referee you need on your side.
That's one reason I've advocated for years the introductory of short-arm penalties (ala rugby). You don't get to reef the ball into touch, gaining 30 metres or more; you have to take the tap on the spot the indiscretion occurred.
When you have evenly-matched teams in rugby league penalties change momentum. The introduction of the 5-minute sin bin would be another initiative to improve fairness. Often the 10-minute sin bin is too harsh for the indiscretion. I can't understand the reluctance of the NRL to bring in a 5-minute sin bin. I also believe the team that scores a try should restart place by kicking off; I think this would help to even up matches.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I’d did some stats on 10 random games in 2016 in relation to penalties.

I analysed each of the 8 games in one weekend , and then two more Manly games.

Pretty simple stats.

Time of the penalty.
Rough location of the penalty.
Score at the time of the penalty.
End up penalty count.

I’ll have to do it again if I get time but these ( from memory) are some things that popped up.

Penalty counts were always skewed to one side by half time, and the side leading the penalty count was almost always leading going into the sheds.

Multiple penalties were often given ( and not just attacking the line), with back to back penalties almost always resulting in a try.

The penalty counts almost always ended up either square or very close to it, but more than often the side losing the penalty count was also behind on the score board and the resultant penalty “ catch up” often saw a late comeback by the behind side.

Now remember this was 10 games, 3 of which Manly were involved.

Manly lost every penalty count , both at half time and by 1 or 2 at full time.

And lost all 3 games.

I’m a firm believer that referee’s can and possibly do“ manipulate” games during a season although there would be far more scrutiny in finals games which is why often you see lower penalty counts in those games.

It’s just an opinion, and one I’ve had for quite some time.

MadMarcus

Toovey for NRL CEO
The NRL uses penalties to keep matches close. They generally favour the underdogs and teams from western Sydney.

The multiple penalties in a row are an obvious technique. You often get the feeling a ref will keep blowing penalties until a team scores. The only way out of those situations is an intercept try or if the team getting a leg up makes a mistake that can’t be pinned on the other side. A dropped ball will almost always be called a strip if an opposition player is in contact, but if the team drops it cold or kicks it out then the refs have to give the ball back to the defending team.

This is NRL - Greenberg style.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
I don't believe there is any major "corruption" with the ref's, the rot began when Harrigan first uttered those detestable words "game management".

When the pee wee brigade started the mantra of the fools "a close game is a good game" followed by the need to satisfy the new audience of gen X with a "fast game is a good game" theology ..... ref's began to be managers.

How we ever allowed the words "open to interpretation" to enter the debate is beyond me, .... and don't get me started on ref's calling players off-side .... just penalise them you maggot faced moron!!!

...... and stop counting the ****ken tackles .... if the dumb ****s can't count ... bugger them ... it is not your ****ren job ref!!!!!

.... apart from that I have no problems ... I'm happy .....

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Of course refs decide/manage/manipulate games.
Unfavoured teams win, despite this bias against them.

We aren't the only ones that get a raw deal either.
Warriors, Titans, Sharks ( until recently) all spring to mind.

And to be fair, it isn't about the total penalty count. It is all about the area on the field penalties are blown, and the change in momentum they bring.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Of course refs decide/manage/manipulate games.
Unfavoured teams win, despite this bias against them.

We aren't the only ones that get a raw deal either.
Warriors, Titans, Sharks ( until recently) all spring to mind.

And to be fair, it isn't about the total penalty count. It is all about the area on the field penalties are blown, and the change in momentum they bring.

Very much so, and often the square up ( later in the game ) are almost meaningless , but make the count look good at the end.

Harvies elbow

I'm a country member....... " Yes we remember "
2017 Tipping Competitor
Second half square up's tell the story.
More so when the square up's come too late in the second half for a team to get back in the game.

COMMANDER

IF YOU DO NOT TRY YOU CAN NOT FAIL
The game has become over officiated, with half the penalties blown being puny, irritating technical penalties. These "technical" penalties are employed by referee's to keep the game's result close, or to even up the penalty count.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Most supporters seem to feel the ref robs their team at some time...it can be frustrating but really need to get over a bad call quickly and focus on what you can control.
I think at times the refs are over thought and over played....the best teams in all sports have overcome adversity including bad calls and pretty much - got on with it when up against it.
Personally, even when coaching junior teams, always encourage youngsters to not blame refs for bad calls and results....this imo is for the “excuse basket” and can become a habit and an out.
The less you worry about the ref and concentrate on your own game, the more likely a few calls will go your way.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
The refs can really impact your tips as well...speaking of which have you joined the tipping company this year? Some amazing (well great) prizes to be announced sometime soon...get in and support the site

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Second half square up's tell the story.
More so when the square up's come too late in the second half for a team to get back in the game.

I would happily lose every penalty count this season 20-4....if our 4 penalties were blown on our 20-30m line on tackle 4, and their 20 penalties were blown on tackle 1, 5m out from our line.

Square-up penalties are irrelevant, it is all about the field position and change of game momentum the refs provide when they do get blown.

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Can’t blame the refs baz me man when we’re lying all over the player for half an hour.That was the reason we conceded the majority of the penalties.

I just watched 24 hrs of Manly games and I'd say we were the disadvantaged team for being held down /laid all over in tackles and having forward passes by opposition teams not called

bazeagle

Bencher
I just watched 24 hrs of Manly games and I'd say we were the disadvantaged team for being held down /laid all over in tackles and having forward passes by opposition teams not called
interesting nightster - trying hard to not be only eyed but Manly did seem to cop some suss penalties last season that definitely determined the end result - mostly in us losing

Captain Moondog

Absolute Superstar
interesting nightster - trying hard to not be only eyed but Manly did seem to cop some suss penalties last season that definitely determined the end result - mostly in us losing
I've had my 96 year old Mum and my 10 year old grandson say the same thing Baz, pretty much across the board there's a perception the game's rigged, and Greenberg says the game is losing money, quelle surprise.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 5 6 47 12