Sharks - The fat lady has started singing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
LG Electronics will not renew sponsorship deal with Cronulla
By staff writers
May 21, 2009 The future of financially-struggling NRL club Cronulla is in serious doubt after their major sponsor, LG Electronics, refused to renew their deal with the club for next season.

The Sharks have had a turbulent 2009, with the Matt Johns sex scandal and Reni Maitua's drug ban adding to the club's crippling financial woes and poor performances on the field.

LG's Marketing Director David Brand said the recent controversies involving the club contributed to the decision to to renew the company's sponsorship.

"We have had a successful association with rugby league and the Sharks but we no longer see the benefits of an ongoing sponsorship given the evolution of our brand.

"While the recent controversies around the NRL, and the Sharks in particular, were certainly a significant element in our decision we also considered the direction of our company and where we want to take the LG brand."

I truly hope they find some way to survive even if that means relocation. Losing any team now will be tragic and possibly fatal for the entire NRL

They should be packing their bags for the a permanent move to the central coast now!

Anyone else glad that we did not get their CEO (Zappia) as a replacement for Grant?

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25397215-5006066,00.html

blitzkrieg link said:
Like I keep saying though - Who would want the \"Sharks\" brand?

More to the point, I would not want to see the license expire!

If the license was there with no-one using it then it would be tragic. Realistically no other team will be able to pick up the license and be up and running within the next 12 months, it will take around about 12 - 24 months really, after everything else were put in place.

A 15 team comp would mean we will have another team rushed in, who are not ready, and ultimately they will likely fail

She is only singing because she found the sharkies secret stash of sex toys.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Zappia's stocks have gone from "highly sought after" by the Eels just a few weeks ago to completely trashed.  He signed his death warrant on the Footy Show tonight.  Magnay has the dirt on him.

I just wish the Eels had signed him and were stuck with him.

"Losing any team now will be tragic and possibly fatal for the entire NRL"

That's a bit pessimistic of your Dan...????  Losing a team of no-hopers who average less than 10k at home games, have a crap stadium, and can't even beat an egg - posssibly fatal for the NRL? 

The only way this would be fatal to the NRL is if they didn't respond accordingly.  We are all aware of the need for an even-number of teams in the comp.  If we are reduced to 15, then we either need to cull another team, or add another team (thus taking us back to 16).  With a win ratio of 1 from 9 and average crowds below 10k, i highly doubt that any new team next season would be LESS successful than the sharks are this year.

My preference - Scrap the sharkies at the end of this year.  Encourage Sticky to chose AS MUCH youth as possible (i.e. the Cronulla Toyota Cup team) to assist the league in building talent for the rest of the season.

New team should be from Central Coast.  PNG is too far away logistically (in this current climate).  A Central QLD team is nice in theory, but we already have 3 teams up there, and there is a lack of regional centres in central queensland with teh facilities and sponsorship $$$ ready to take on a team at short notice.

Give the CC a shot with the bears.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained i say.

Dan link said:
I truly hope they find some way to survive even if that means relocation. Losing any team now will be tragic and possibly fatal for the entire NRL

I'm with you on this one Dan, I would like to see our other feeder club the Bears and even the Jets back in the comp even a team from the NT and WA however I don't think we have the talent in the players to go around.

For me I just wish they also go back to every team playing each other twice, one Friday night game, Saturday game and Sunday afternoons.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8