Season ending injuries of ex players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
Just looking through the clubs injury lists and the connection to Manly.

Sea Eagles: Jayden Hodges (ACL, season), Tim Moltzen (ankle, retired), Brenton Lawrence (pec, season), Steve Matai (neck, season).

Eels: Anthony Watmough (knee, retired), Keiran Foran (shoulder season).

Panthers: Dean Whare (knee, season), Peta Hiku (knee, season).

Wests Tigers: Matt Ballin (knee, season).

Have to compare it with other clubs. I remember Canberra back in the 90s Stuart, Daley, Clyde all injury prone. But you'd have to look at it against current stats. It does seem that bloody queenslanders get less !!!

Does the season ending injuries or poor form have anything to do with the impending investigation or the knowledge of guilt??

When the Voodoo doll that Watmough brought to training years ago of Tooves after Tooves made him do extra laps for being late was discovered Tooves then created his own dolls of the players that stuck a pin into Tooves.
The results are there for all to see.

The moral of the story is don't be late for training.

Those injury lists are terrible. If there was anything that could be done to prevent more injuries. They absolutely ruin the game. 30 to 40 percent of players seem to get injured every year. It's way too much

The whole physicality of the NRL has increased dramatically in the last 6-8 years. And its not just the increase in the population / proportion of large islander types - both in the backs and forwards. Islander heritage players now make up 33% of the registered players.
Its also the increase in intensity of training regimes, the standardization of the wrestle. The smaller lighter men have to train harder, build themselves up bigger than ever before to compete. Their joints just cant handle the extra forces, and mostly season ending injuries are Ankles, knees, shoulders.
I've never seen so many knees ankles going bust as we have now. The game has changed in so many ways. Not for the better. This is just another way, and its up to the fan base to adapt, or follow another sport. The long term survival of the NRL (in its current form), with its falling ground takings, and the popularity rise of the A League, is by no means a safe bet.

Just thinking outside the rectangle: The rugby league field has not changed yet the players have got bigger, creating more collisions. Thus, why not reduce the number of players to 12?
You'd get more attack and less defence, and more chance for smaller, quicker players.
I'd get rid of the lock. Scrums are a joke so there is no binding or pushing these day, rendering the original intention of 'locking' the scrum redundant, and the less forwards we have the less crash and barge football we'd see.

Yes the collisions are routinely more violent then they used to be. Look at the old videos, how slight and skinny the backs used to be. Increasing the size of the field is impractical, but decreasing to 12 players is very doable. Its potentiall a great idea @The Who . But this sort of change is too radical for the current NRL or international management of the game to consider or face up to. Toady Greenslime ? - not a chance.
Besides, the other competitions (ESL, Qld) probably don't have the intensity of issues that are facing the NRL, and would have no reason to adjust something as basic as 13 players / side.

And only two in the tackle, if you cant stop someone with two tacklers then tackle low and stop the legs and not wrestle the upper body.

One thing that everyone seems to be overlooking is that no other club plays as many games at Brookvale oval.

Brookie's surface has been heavy underfoot for years, I wouldn't be surprised if our injury toll is largely due to all the running on the crap surface.

Their joints just cant handle the extra forces, and mostly season ending injuries are Ankles, knees, shoulders.
I've never seen so many knees ankles going bust as we have now.

What about pecs ?? I'd never heard of a torn pec 5 years ago, now there are half a dozen a year that ends a season for someone. They must have called them something else back in the day.

What about pecs ?? I'd never heard of a torn pec 5 years ago, now there are half a dozen a year that ends a season for someone. They must have called them something else back in the day.

That would be down to all the extra weightlifting they do these days - a lot of players tear them during training (bench pressing), but it can also be a result of training other muscles (biceps, triceps, lats) and not working the pectoral muscles enough. Eventually something is going to pull too tight and the weakest link in the chain gives way.

Oh, and FWIW the good old 'roids are a known contributor to pec tears. Apparently weaken the tendon while allowing an increase in muscle size and strength that the tendon can't handle.

Pec injuries have become more prevalent recently due to the speed of the game and players not learning to tackle properly.Players can't keep up and just throw an arm out,causing the damage.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2