Sea Eagles won’t make any money from 10 NRL games at Brookvale

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Maybe with council amalgamations (hopefully), the benefit of having a Northern Beaches team representing the larger population will be recognised in more reasonable fees.

I have no problem with this being aired publically. It shows who the problem is; Warringah Council.
Why does nobody else have to deal with this? Why won't council sell the naming rights so the Sea Eagles aren't responsible for every cent? Why do they not take the wefare of local businesses into consideration when they try to push the Sea Eagles away?
Maybe it is the owners wanting to prepare the public but council are the ones that are giving them the opportunity. Reagan runs every election saying he's a Manly fan, then does nothing. The others are either Rugby Union wankers, anti-fun trendies or anti-human developers. Surely a proper person has to have a go at some point? Then again, this is the Northern Beaches. Look at the creatures we have at State and particularly federal level.

I don't know why anyone is getting pissy about this - they ran the same story about why the Dogs playing at Belmore doesn't work just the other week. They pack Belmore and break even. It's the same for all clubs playing at suburban grounds. The numbers just don't add up.

This isn't really about moving to Gosford as much as it is just painting the picture that a ground like Brookvale with it's current arrangement is uneconomical for a full slate of home games. And further to that - where do you even make up the money? Maybe here - screen hire, entertainment, production ($20,000). That is ****ing ridiculous for what they provide. Someone somewhere is skimming the fat big time. Partly the council - but who else?

There is a point with this where the owner says enough is enough as far as losing money goes. And we as fans cannot expect them to just continually piss money away for eternity just to play at Brookvale. If you do then you are a bigger idiot than the fat **** Zorba. Something needs to give if you want the club on the whole to survive in the long term. Gosford only works for the ground - there is no corporate money up there. It's a wasteland. Homebush probably carries the same positive metrics in terms of money but you lose atmosphere and become a bit of a non entity fan wise.

The reality is probably something like 8 games at Brookvale (on a re-negotiated fee), 2 at Gosford, 1 bush and one major stadium game utilising Easter show or long weekend double header crowds.

To soften the blow when the owners have the NRL insist that we move away from brookie.
This is what I was told weeks ago...and it's an opportunity for the owners to put another 6 or 7 million in their back pockets through relocation money from the NRL.

To us it's a club to others it's a Franchise.

Alright guys - lets just show how much bullsh1t is here in very simple maths.

125K per game and we only break even.

Corporate boxes start at 2K per game we have quite a few but lets limit it to 20, that is another 40K per game

right now we are behind 85K per game.

lets say we have an average of just 2000 walk up tickets per game, costing only $20 each

That is 40K

right now we are losing 45K per game.

The cheapest membership is $400 for a family of 4 which gets you 10 games or $10 per game. This is the cheapest way of entering the ground. So lest assume the other 8,000 in our average crowd of only 10,000 are coming through on the cheapest way possible of $10 per game (although in reality it has to be higher given reserved seats are up to $75 per game). So we have 80K from membership.

so already we are making 45K per game using super conservative figures.

Hence this is bullsh1t

Corporate boxes start at 2K per game we have quite a few but lets limit it to 20, that is another 40K per game

lets say we have an average of just 2000 walk up tickets per game, costing only $20 each

That is 40K

The cheapest membership is $400 for a family of 4 which gets you 10 games or $10 per game. This is the cheapest way of entering the ground. So lest assume the other 8,000 in our average crowd of only 10,000 are coming through on the cheapest way possible of $10 per game (although in reality it has to be higher given reserved seats are up to $75 per game). So we have 80K from membership.

Hence this is bullsh1t
I don't think pre-sold membership counts towards these numbers. That probably goes into the HQ coffers to pay for things around there.

Memberships go towards the payment of staff etc. Souths make $4M off their 30,000+ memberships, and we only 12K members which would equate to less than $2M. That is why we don't make any money!

That is 40K

Hence this is bullsh1t

Was about to post the same thing.

They quote we will gross $150,000 tonight based on a crowd of 16,000.

$150,000 / 16,000 = $9.38 per ticket

No way are we paying less than $10 per ticket, on average.

The average attendance for Brookvale this year is 9,962. Using an average ticket price of $15 (which is conservative IMO) we should gross $149,430 on average. Also, based on this $15 average and 16,000 crowd tonight, we gross $240,000, making $115,000 profit.

DT figures just don't add up.

The term "due diligence" rings continually in my ears.
Didn't Scotty & co already know this?
Haven't they owned a piece of the team for some years? (and therefore have paid many times?)
Did Manly council suddenly increase the rates?
Reminds me of a scene from Top gun where Iceman mumbles "bs, bs, bs" etc under his breath.
This is a smokescreen!
Diversionary tactic extraordinaire.

I don't think pre-sold membership counts towards these numbers. That probably goes into the HQ coffers to pay for things around there.

I know they don't, they are ONLY counting the walk up gate takings in this figure.

All sponsorship from signage, memberships are ignored so this is comparing apples with sardines. Where do they think the 100K to play here and not a dime to hire the ground makes its money? Corporate sponsorship and box packages is where.

Guess what - if you move from Brookie you lose all that as the big grounds have them separate.

Yes yes all part of an elaborate scheme to move the team...

37152930.jpg

If Kelly and Penn are good businessmen they will know how to negotiate a better deal. They hold some power over the Council because:
1. Manly Sea Eagles are the only tenants so, supply V demand , the 'renter' is in the box seat as the Manly money is this only revenue the Council is receiving.
2. The Sea Eagle fan base can and should be mobilised to pressure the current Councilors to do what they were voted in to do - look after the interests of ratepayers. The noisy wheel gets oiled.
3. Sea Eagle fans, and ratepayers, can conduct a systematic 'civil-disobedence' plan to refuse to pay their rates etc., and make it a huge media issue.

Because the Football Club controls where we play I think our owners are locked in to Brookie. We'll see if they are serious about staying here by their engagement and communication with us, the fans. If I was them I'd be inviting us all to attend a meeting where we can strategise and use people-power to pressure the Council, Baird, Hazard, Stokes, Abbott and all local politicians.
Let's see if the owners feel they need our help.

It's easy to get angry at the Penn's, but we'd all have a different opinion if it was our $125,000. I am pretty sure they would like to stay at Brookie and play with better facilities, but as it stands, the council and the state and federal governments can't get their act together to make it happen. Therefore, we keep playing out of sub-par facilities and pay through the nose to do so.

This is being aired to put more pressure on the various parties to make the redevelopment a realisation and/or negotiate a better commercial deal to use the ground.

I don't know why anyone is getting pissy about this - they ran the same story about why the Dogs playing at Belmore doesn't work just the other week. They pack Belmore and break even. It's the same for all clubs playing at suburban grounds. The numbers just don't add up.

This isn't really about moving to Gosford as much as it is just painting the picture that a ground like Brookvale with it's current arrangement is uneconomical for a full slate of home games. And further to that - where do you even make up the money? Maybe here - screen hire, entertainment, production ($20,000). That is ****ing ridiculous for what they provide. Someone somewhere is skimming the fat big time. Partly the council - but who else?

There is a point with this where the owner says enough is enough as far as losing money goes. And we as fans cannot expect them to just continually piss money away for eternity just to play at Brookvale. If you do then you are a bigger idiot than the fat **** Zorba. Something needs to give if you want the club on the whole to survive in the long term. Gosford only works for the ground - there is no corporate money up there. It's a wasteland. Homebush probably carries the same positive metrics in terms of money but you lose atmosphere and become a bit of a non entity fan wise.

The reality is probably something like 8 games at Brookvale (on a re-negotiated fee), 2 at Gosford, 1 bush and one major stadium game utilising Easter show or long weekend double header crowds.
Come on ,You can't tell me you don't understand why people are getting pissy .Really ?
Do you want to lose Brookie ? I know I don't !!

Come on ,You can't tell me you don't understand why people are getting pissy .Really ?
Do you want to lose Brookie ? I know I don't !!
When the article actually says:

“From a benchmark point of view, the hiring fee is significantly higher than any other suburban ground,” Manly chief executive Joe Kelly said.

“We are certainly very keen to remain at the club’s spiritual home for the majority of our games. But we have to secure a better commercial deal than we currently have with council.”

Then no, I don't know why people are getting pissy at the club.

This is clearly a go to gain some leverage and get a better deal with the idiots at the council...

The Who, half of our crowds come from outside the Northern Beaches, even our poll here showed 20% local on this website. We can't even get most locals in the gate, can't see how we can mobilise them to protest? This is Wollongong (Steelers) all over again, most locals don't care less, hence our low crowds. Souths tonight will make the crowd near 50/50. If its true we make 25k tops from the top drawing team, then this scenario can't last much longer.

Funnily enough, in AFL, fans of Melbourne based clubs said they would die, Carlton, Hawthorn, Carlton, Collingwood leaving their traditional old grounds but most of them are loaded with more money than ever. To think Albury with 6500 was our most profitable game shows how bad Brookvale is in terms of revenue. Channel Nine is our saviour, not the supporters!!!

It's easy to get angry at the Penn's, but we'd all have a different opinion if it was our $125,000. I am pretty sure they would like to stay at Brookie and play with better facilities, but as it stands, the council and the state and federal governments can't get their act together to make it happen. Therefore, we keep playing out of sub-par facilities and pay through the nose to do so.

This is being aired to put more pressure on the various parties to make the redevelopment a realisation and/or negotiate a better commercial deal to use the ground.
See my post a little bit up...
They KNEW that this was the situation BEFORE they bought Quantum out. How is this suddenly a surprise for the Penns?

Darren you even read - albury was only our highest walk up gate takings, not most profitable

How would you know what the crowd will be tonight, you never turn up to games anyway

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8