Sea Eagles to transform Brookvale Oval

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've heard a nasty rumour that NRL headquarters have us down as a possibility of relocation along with Cronulla. Seems expansion doesn't mean new teams but moving some away from Sydney. I've heard Adelaide and Perth mentioned but unsure where we would land. Does anyone know if Adelaide Oval can be made to suit rectangle sports like Etihad?

I've heard a nasty rumour that NRL headquarters have us down as a possibility of relocation along with Cronulla. Seems expansion doesn't mean new teams but moving some away from Sydney. I've heard Adelaide and Perth mentioned but unsure where we would land. Does anyone know if Adelaide Oval can be made to suit rectangle sports like Etihad?
I don't think it's that simple. You can't uproot a privatised club and drop it in another town. Apart from obviously having the owners co-operate (which they may for the right amount of money), you have 3 levels of a playing roster that would need to be open to relocating. Players come to us for the club AND the lifestyle. That's why so many from around the game retire and move here (**** - even the the Foxsports super-hater Gaz did). The club loses that moving.

Cause seats in the stands are expensive, particularly the Jane Try stand opposite the Hill. I love the Hill (see my profile pic) but it does have limited appeal especially in wet weather!!
Yes. Wet weather does render the Hill unappealing. But how many fans go to the game when it is raining?
Let's clarify this discussion: Why do we need another ground?
1. The fans? No, I think Brookie is by far the best ground at which to watch RL, and I'm sure 99% on this Forum agree. I love it and would never complain about the facilities.
2. The NRL? No, they couldn't give a rat's, as long as they have TV willing to pay.
3. The TV networks. No. Fans who actually attend games reduce their TV audience.
4. The Penns? Yes. If they can make money elsewhere. But by taking the club from Brookie they risk more than just money - they risk the club folding

I don't think it's that simple. You can't uproot a privatised club and drop it in another town. Apart from obviously having the owners co-operate (which they may for the right amount of money), you have 3 levels of a playing roster that would need to be open to relocating. Players come to us for the club AND the lifestyle. That's why so many from around the game retire and move here (**** - even the the Foxsports super-hater Gaz did). The club loses that moving.

It certainly wasn't described to me as being a done deal, simply an analysis of how they would make it work. No idea if they will seriously look to implement anything in the near future.

Ah, Adelaide Oval......now you're talking my territory.

Is the oval suited to rugby league? Put simply......no its not. There isn't movable seating so spectators are at least 30 metres from the sidelines (forget the pictures shown during Australia's 2022 WC bid because that rectangle pitch with movable stands never happened). The A-League has played games there with Adelaide United and the complaints came thick and fast from spectators, especially with the decision to surround 3 sides of the pitch with electronic advertising boards. All that did was actually block the view of the spectators in the lower bowl.

Then there is another problem. Because Adelaide has two teams in the AFL the oval is used every single weekend during the football season. Both teams bitched and moaned about a once off soccer game being played there last year, can you imagine the outcry if there was a rugby league team that used it every other week?

If, and only if, a team was ever going to start in Adelaide or relocate to Adelaide, Coopers Stadium is much better suited despite only being able to hold 17,000.

With a capacity of 53,583 the Adelaide Oval would be good for one off games like an Origin or test match, but that is about it.

Realistically though, as much as I would love to see it, I would honestly prefer Manly stays at Brookie.

Last edited:
Cause seats in the stands are expensive, particularly the Jane Try stand opposite the Hill. I love the Hill (see my profile pic) but it does have limited appeal especially in wet weather!!

I agree 100% Mals. The cost of general admission is high enough without adding the premium attracted by a seat in the Arthurson or Jane Try stand.

If we have the opportunity to build a stadium like the one in the images, we would be nuts to knock back a facility like that.

Does the NRL actually have the constitutional power to declare Brookvale unfit to host games on a consistent basis ? I doubt they do but such is the clandestine nature of Smith and Greensnot's mode of operation, I'm sure they'd find a way of forcing us out.

Plus it's got putt putt out the front.
Could become the true "all purpose" sporting complex.
Yeah **** Pirates - work that in. Maybe the pony club too. Away teams can stay at the caravan park. The old dude from the cinema can do the national anthem... It's the perfect solution. Did I mention it's also closer to my place too coz that has nothing at all to do with my wanting this

The big fear is that the criteria needed for an NRL team includes the facilities provided at the home ground. I worry that the idiots at the NRL will leave the whole of the North of Sydney without a team, forcing us to play home games at Allianz or Homebush or trying to locate, all because of ground capacity and lack of under-cover seating. Shame on Warringah Council though - in the 1970s Brookie won the RLW Best Ground award. Despite my love for the ground, it is amongst the poorest.

The live experience as a concept is dying anyway because of HD and how good tellies are now. Why leave home, travel, sit there in the cold for two hours and pay out the arse?

League needs to go like MLS in the U.S. Small stadiums you can fill to create atmosphere then do the TV deal to fill the coffers. You can't have it both ways

I believe that most of the funding for Kogarah and Wollongong came from the the State labor government headed up by Morris Iemma, another dragons supporter.

What's this $29m promised by Abbot in 2007? Could you provide some more info on that one?

Actually, don't bother. All the plans, talk and political jibes are a big bore. I'll just keep holding my breath waiting for the plans to be submitted and approved...................

Mate, I googled "Tony Abbott's promise to Brookvale" I opened up Andrew Leigh's article entitled "Abbott's Costings Soar With the Eagles" where he purportedly promised $70 million (unfunded) on 3rd March 2013.

http://www.andrewleigh.com/3915

There was another article where it stated that the $30 million would be what was needed and the article went on to say it would be great.

forums.leagueunlimited.com › ... › Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

So in answer to your question, I cannot find a 'specific link' as you requested but I do remember him saying prior to the 2007 election if the libs won with 'Honest John Howard' there'd be $29 million to upgrade Brooky.

Anyway pal keep holding your breath. I agree it will be an uphill battle to get anything done.

League needs to go like MLS in the U.S. Small stadiums you can fill to create atmosphere then do the TV deal to fill the coffers. You can't have it both ways

The above is the most sensible thing said on the whole subject Loobs.

If the NRL was running TEN they would film MasterChef in the middle of an empty ANZ Stadium.

The above is the most sensible thing said on the whole subject Loobs.

If the NRL was running TEN they would film MasterChef in the middle of an empty ANZ Stadium.
But what does Dave Smith do? Goes to the U.S. to check out the NFL - something completely at odds with our game. To be fair to Dave though, he's probably only interested in it because the commissioner gets paid $40 million a year...

Money for Brookvale oval....... politicians will say anything for votes before an election. They then develop a collective form of amnesia after the election....
There will be no carbon tax comes to mind...

Money for Brookvale oval....... politicians will say anything for votes before an election. They then develop a collective form of amnesia after the election....
There will be no carbon tax comes to mind...

And her then Treasurer Mr Lame Duck said there'll be no carbon tax it is just an opposition beat up. (Some beat up by the way.) Anyway he's swanning along on his government funded salary on the opposition benches.

The live experience as a concept is dying anyway because of HD and how good tellies are now
If you were at Brookvale Oval last Sunday you wouldn't think the concept is dying.

It is struggling but that's not because of the quality of televisions sets, it's because rugby league's administration has allowed TV companies to do as they please with the game.

The money from the Commonwealth is there. The problem lies in the 'way ahead' to be resolved between Council and the Penns'.

The Council claims they need more rental money before they will commit more resources.

Messrs Penn and Kelly meanwhile have unrealisable plans, that go far beyond what $10 million will achieve.

Is it that hard to understand?

If you were at Brookvale Oval last Sunday you wouldn't think the concept is dying.

It is struggling but that's not because of the quality of televisions sets, it's because rugby league's administration has allowed TV companies to do as they please with the game.
But that's just it: small ground + solid crowd = good time.

Huge stadium + crap crowd = sucky time

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4