Salary Cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

gotsy

Reserve Grader
Does anyone know how much the salary cap is this year. Im pretty sure it has gone up from last year, but by how much. And what was it last year. The players these days are way too underpaid. The minimum wage should be $100,000 for a full time player. Its pathetic. :bdh:

Hey Gotsy. How much did you get paid when you were 19?? I bet it wasnt in the vicinity of 50-80 grand.

And dont give me this crap about a football players limited career. They get to do what they love and get paid for it, and its a career choice that they make. Just like any other profession.

Just like school teachers, you know what the salary is when you sign up, if you dont like it, dont ****ing do it.

they might get to do what they love, but look how hard they work. 6 days a week, 7 hours plus a day. Tell me what they have to lay back on after football??? NOTHING.. harly any of them have any types of qualifications, and for the amount of time they put into training, they are simply not paid enough weather they like doing it or not.

7 hours plus a day?

What an over-estimate.

They do like 2-3 hours a day.

No qualifications -- that shouldn't impact on the salary cap. Players like King are going to uni, others do PE teaching etc.

7 hrs a day, as if. You must be including time spent at the TAB or playing playstation.

I generally work around 10 hrs per day plus I study part time. So I dont have much sympathy.

The players getting $50k are the ones in the 25 like Groom and Trembath who are yet to play NRL, thats good enough imo. If they play NRL they get match payments and if they do well a upgraded contract.

Do people seriously believe players like Trembath and others in the squad deserve $100k plus when they wont play NRL. I can see arguements to increase the $50k but it should not be to $120k as Mason thinks, $70k maximum.

matt ballin, what a superstar, 7 plus hours a day, 6 days a week plus he runs his own personal fitness business.

at 22 he is earning 50K from league and another 20K or more on a side job, not bad if you ask me.

I want to know what is stopping a footballer from getting a regular job like everybody else when they finish their career?

At 35 your life hasn't even started. I'd love to play football for 15 years, make myself a couple a mill and then get a career.

With a profile like theirs they will get any job they want basically (any normal job) cuz having a footy player in the store or whatever would boost sales too i'd guess

The minimum wage should be $100,000 for a full time player. Its pathetic. :bdh:

That seriously has the potential to bankrupt the game.

Mason is doing harm to the game with his ignorant media hyped outburst.

I think it depends on what point of view you look at it.

Either:
1- players should get what is a reasonable wage, looking at other people in their age get, other sports etc taking into account career length.

or

2- players as the main reason you go to watch a game should get a fair proportion of the money that comes in.

You do a trade, and you go 4 years on less than $600 a week. First year you usually get under $400, sometimes even less than $300. And that's slogging it out 48 weeks a year, 6 days a week, 8-10 hr days.
And what's the minimum wage for a nrl squad player? 50k? I would take that for only training 5 or days a week for 2-3hrs in a flash, especially when there's an opportunity of earning hundreds of thousands a year for playing footy!! Also remembering the footy season is maybe 32 odd weeks at the most... 16 extra weeks off a year would be nice!

And does playing footy make a bloke completely unable to get a normal job like anyone else after they retire? They certainly have alot more time on their hands to study part time than the normal person doing it 2 or 3 nights a week after working 10 hrs.

Dead set, these guys sometimes forget how it is to live like the blokes sitting on the hill...

You do a trade, and you go 4 years on less than $600 a week. First year you usually get under $400, sometimes even less than $300. And that's slogging it out 48 weeks a year, 6 days a week, 8-10 hr days.
And what's the minimum wage for a nrl squad player? 50k? I would take that for only training 5 or days a week for 2-3hrs in a flash, especially when there's an opportunity of earning hundreds of thousands a year for playing footy!! Also remembering the footy season is maybe 32 odd weeks at the most... 16 extra weeks off a year would be nice!

And does playing footy make a bloke completely unable to get a normal job like anyone else after they retire? They certainly have alot more time on their hands to study part time than the normal person doing it 2 or 3 nights a week after working 10 hrs.

Dead set, these guys sometimes forget how it is to live like the blokes sitting on the hill...

I'd say you'd look at this from perspective 1.

Absolutely, and I think if you looked at it through the point of view number 2, then most people would want to get a big pay rise because they feel they contribute a huge amount to their workplaces aswell - for example, I do a job, charge x amount, and get paid y. The boss get's z... I don't really see why it should be any different for a footballer...

The current salary cap is $4 000 000 per season, encompassing the top 25 paid players at the club. That equates to $160 000 average, per player.

The minute a club starts to pay players $400 000 and $500 000 a season then that average obviously starts to slip.

Take manly for a example. I know these figures aren't 100% correct but they are based on media reporting etc.

Matt Orford: $450,000 p/s
Jamie Lyon: $500,000 p/s
Brent Kite: $400,000 p/s
Michael Monaghan: $275,000 p/s

Thats a total of 1,625,000 per season for 4 players. 40.63 % of the salary cap.

That then brings the salary captain down to an average of $113,000 per player. Taken into account that the rest of the first grade team are averaging about $150,000 it leaves us with $3,575,000 used by the first grade team.

$425,000 is then left for the final 8 players, most likely premier league players. $53,125 average for those remaining.

I don't think that $53,000 a year is a bad income considering the season runs for 8 or 9 months and there's chance for additional employment.

[quote author=L80]

I'd say you'd look at this from perspective 1.
[/quote]

Look ads, its a fair enough sentiment, but thats all it is..sentiment. People talk about this like revenue is all that matters.

Ummmmmm......$90m from TV rights ummmm +/- player contracts +/- other stuff +/- marketing = what ???

Whats undeniably missing is a profit & loss statement. For gods sake, noone can say players deserve more of the pie when the size of the whole pie isnt known, let alone the gross profit portion of the pie, let alone the net profit portion of the pie.

So if anyone wants to weigh into the debate with a pie in hand i say OK, but do you actually know what your holding ?

And if anyone here thinks that the whole pie will become common knowledge amongst stakeholders down to fans because the NRL/News Limited think its a jolly good idea to provide it, then you have ****locks for brains.

No offence but these types of wayward theorisations are sheer fantasy.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2