Salary Cap Witch Hunt. **Appeal unsuccessful**

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Now??? have we been penalised have we?? i hadnt read that
Did I say we have - did I? I didn't realise that.

It's the fact it is hanging over our heads, I can't see any player signing with us until this mess is sorted out.

Happy to see Joel on our books; however, I don't see it.

I'd like to see him probed by alien beings from a ringed planet that we won't mention...
alienProbe-300x300.jpg

Triple M news at 6:30 this morning said part of this related to TPA's from a north shore grandmother and one of the players in question was Foran.

Triple M news at 6:30 this morning said part of this related to TPA's from a north shore grandmother and one of the players in question was Foran.
Correct - Dean Ritchie's article in the DT today names Foran and Matt Parcell amongst a few players who have been involved over the years.

Good on her, I say, for putting her money where her heart is, so to speak :clap:

December 13 2017 - 7:11AM
Save
Print
License article
St George Illawarra Dragons biggest losers in Manly Sea Eagles cap bust

83 reading now
Show comments

St George Illawarra are the biggest losers in the Manly salary cap scandal, missing out on a finals spot and the estimated $500,000 windfall that comes with it after the Sea Eagles were pinged after the season was completed.

The Dragons finished the regular season in ninth spot, but could have snuck into the top eight had sixth-placed Manly been sanctioned earlier. Fairfax Media revealed five months ago that the Silvertails were under scrutiny after Strike Force Nuralda, the taskforce assembled by NSW police to investigate match-fixing, found evidence of player payments in contravention of NRL rules.

1513109469166.jpg

Dragons supporters could have been cheering their team in the finals if Manly had been sanctioned earlier. Photo: Quentin Jones
Rugby League Central issued breach notices to the Sea Eagles and two current club officials on Monday after identifying potential breaches of the salary cap over the past five years. Potential punishments include large fines and the deregistration of the administrators involved.

The sanctions are cold comfort to the Dragons, who were pipped for a finals spot by a team over the limit.

"It's inappropriate for us to be making comment about a breach notice and an investigation that doesn't involve us and where we are unaware of the facts," St George Illawarra CEO Peter Doust said.

Had the NRL identified the issue during the season, it's likely Manly wouldn't have played for points until such time as the club was cap-compliant. The situation – faced by Parramatta after their salary cap rorting came to light last year – could have provided the Dragons with an opportunity to contest the finals.

Such an outcome would have generated about $500,000 in additional revenue when finals prizemoney, merchandise sales, corporate interest, membership take-up, sponsor exposure and other incentives are factored in.

A play-off appearance would also have taken the pressure off Paul McGregor. The coach was re-signed after a strong start to the year that saw the Red V lead the competition after seven rounds. Yet despite having two more years to run on his contract extension, the man dubbed "Mary" will be under huge pressure after missing the finals in successive seasons.

League HQ Newsletter
Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy.

"Obviously to play finals footy would be great for the club for all those reasons, particularly for the supporters," said Dragons legend Mark Coyne, a member of the club's football performance committee.

"But it is what it is and it's not the first time that's happened. I don't think the Dragons should be relying on someone cheating the salary cap to get in there.

"While it would have been good to make the finals, as a player or supporter I wouldn't be saying, 'we've been ripped off because Manly spent a few hundred thousand over the salary cap'.

"We needed to perform better than what we did to make sure we were in the finals for how we played, not because of what's happened with someone else."

Historically, the NRL hasn't compensated teams affected by clubs breaching the salary cap. When Melbourne was stripped of their 2009 premiership for systemically cheating the system, losing grand-finalists Parramatta weren't crowned premiers. When the Eels were caught over the limit last year, they were docked 12 competition points and fined $750,000, as well as being stripped of their Nines trophy.

So the NRL are trying to pin a single 81 year old lady to dodgy sponsoring of players.

Like she's some sort of thoroughbred... but way worse because its manly.
So weird because, how many times have we (tell us we're dreamin'!) discussed the idea of Silvertails making a TPA with a player?
It never occurred to any of us that that would be a problem. And why should it be?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12