Salary Cap fail

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

The Who

Journey Man
Introduced to even out the competition it has achieved the exact opposite.
Of the 16 (discount 'Fins) clubs who have been in the comp for some time, only three have been truly successful: Melbourne, Easts and (recently) Penrith. Just look at how many years it's been since the following 13 clubs have won a premiership:
Parramatta -- 37 years
Canberra -- 29 years
New Zealand - Never (28 years)
Newcastle -- 22 years
Canterbury -- 19 years
Wests-Balmain -- 18 years
Brisbane -- 17 years
Gold Coast -- Never (16 years)
Illawarra-St George -- 13 years
Manly -- 12 years
Souths -- 9 years
North Queensland -- 8 years
Cronulla -- 7 years

I find it amazing that Brisbane, with all its advantages, has been so unsuccessful for so long.

Was only ever introduced to stop clubs going broke .. spending like drunken sailors to buy a premiership ...

It was never ever designed or intended to even out the competition .... this notion only became part of the narrative later when some sports writer mentioned that it would achieve that result ... the idea stuck and was promoted ..

... and There is not one CEO of any club that would ever vote for anything that was "fair" ... they are all in deadly competition with each other ... they all want an advantage somewhere ... and level playing fields are the antichrist to them ...

I’ve always believed the salary cap is a farce and easy to cheat. The same few teams attract players at a supposed reduced contract.

The fairest and transparent way is to have a points cap. Players are valued on various criteria.
It’s impossible to hide points but money is easy to hide.

You want to pay player X $300,000 or $1,000,000 he is still worth the same points.

I’ve always believed the salary cap is a farce and easy to cheat. The same few teams attract players at a supposed reduced contract.

The fairest and transparent way is to have a points cap. Players are valued on various criteria.
It’s impossible to hide points but money is easy to hide.

You want to pay player X $300,000 or $1,000,000 he is still worth the same points.
Judging a player's value would be a juggling act and, like The Bunker, anything but accurate.
I do agree, however, that something needs to be done. Public disclosure of all the salaries would highlight "inconsistencies" and put pressure on sombrero clubs. This, to me, should be the first step in giving secondary clubs (of which we are definitely one) an equal chance of attracting talent.

The draft was meant to be the tool to deliver an even spread of the talent across the clubs.

The cap was meant to control clubs overspending and going broke.

When the draft got brought down by legal action, since the NRL started it has attempted to use the salary cap to do what a draft is for.

Which is dumb because third party payments don't count in the cap, and the clubs still spend all of their extra cash anyway (and risk going broke) on rising juniors, training facilities, NRL coaches and paying out sacked NRL coaches.

So as Gomer Pyle said, surprise, surprise, the salary cap can't deliver an even spread of the talent across the clubs.

If we can have a points system to "even out" a park cricket comp on the coast, surely the NRL can get it together.

12 different Premiers in 24 years aint bad really.
Another 3 have been losing Grand finalists so every team has had a shot at glory apart from the Seagulls, Gladiators, Chargers and Titans.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8