Salary Cap alternative

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mosto

I have a well known member
Premium Member
I have an alternative to the Salary Cap, which I think could work. The Cap, as it stands, is confusing and impossible to police. Instead of a Salary Cap, I propose a Points Cap. Not a new idea, and not one I claim to have invented, but I think it could work.

A committee would have to be established to assign a point value to every player in the competition. There would be parameters to work within, eg a base value for established first graders (say 50 games), a higher base for current/recent Origin players, and a higher base again for current/recent internationals. The committee would have the discretion to assign values within this framework.

Each club would have a maximum point value their squad can reach. What they actually pay them is irrelevant and there would be no cap on players actual salaries. While there would be some variances and anomalies, I think salaries would generally be proportionate to their points value. This would help with players leaving the game for more money, as there would be no restriction on what they could earn in League.

Now, this is where the current Glenn Stewart situation comes in. A long serving discount should kick in after five consecutive years at the one club. A 20% discount in the 6th year, increasing by 20% each year, so players with 10 consecutive years have a point value of 0, but only for that club. On top of this, a local junior has set discount of 50% for the duration of their career, if playing for their junior club. I'd also like to see each club assigned a development area in the bush, to help country league, which is really struggling. Clubs would hold coaching clinics, attend awards nights, and play one NRL game in their assigned area. In return, they have first option on players from that area. These players, for the purpose of the local junior discount, would be considered local juniors for that club.

The points of each player would be reviewed at the end of the season, so all negotiations would be in the off-season, hopefully eliminating mid-season speculation on where players are going. The points values would also be made public, so the whole system is transparent.

Obviously there would be some debate on why player x is valued more than player y, but you already have that now with some of the salaries that are reported.

It would need some tweaking by people smarter than I, but that's the basic framework of a system I'd like to see implemented.

This idea has some merit in it. Its so frustrating that teams are penalised by an unfair system that rewards greed over loyalty. The NRL need to fix the system as it is a major black eye on the game that the media focus on player movements rather than the play on the field.

It must be remembered that the one and only purpose for the introduction of the salary cap was to stop idiot clubs going broke.

The fact that this would also result in a more even and competitive comp was an unintended but benefical side effect, soon jumped on and promoted by both the media and the NRL.

Any scheme that doesn't restrict clubs from trading insolvent in the hope of winning a premiership will see dumb clubs fold.

not that that would necessarily be a bad thing.

Do a Mark Gasnier, who was allowed to sign a contract with the draqueens for 50 grand in his 1st year of back from union and retire before his contract was up.

Loyal/loyalty. Firm in allegiance to a person, cause, country, party etc. To be faithful. To demonstrate unswerving allegiance.

In a perfect world, a salary cap would enforce loyalty from players and clubs alike. In a perfect world, players pay packets wouldn't be the issue. In a perfect world, players would represent themselves in negotiations and come to a fair and just outcome.

In a perfect world, a salary cap on the players managers earnings would be in place. A players manager should only be allowed to represent X amount of players, and his earnings should not exceed X amount of dollars per player represented.

Too bad it's not a perfect world. :(

Any scheme which would allow the ponies to pay unlimited amounts for players is going to result in a one sided competition. Qld should never had one team in the NSWRL. I can not get my head around why league is so opposed to a draft. This crap of not wanting young players to travel for work is out of touch with reality. Look at Peta Hiku Jason Taumalolo 21 and under and moving country to play footy. Matt Ballin is from Kingaroy? That's a long way from the northern beaches. Once again the AFL just do things so much better then the Greenturds running out game

Mosto's point system would restrict clubs from taking too many of the best talent on the market though, @Cliffy's is God.
Clubs could pay overs for a couple or a few of
the blue-chip players, but their points would rack up accordingly.
This idea has merit; as does some form of a draft...though the specifics of that would be crucial...it works in other leading codes around the world.
Something has to change.

Cliffy said:
Any scheme which would allow the ponies to pay unlimited amounts for players is going to result in a one sided competition. Qld should never had one team in the NSWRL. I can not get my head around why league is so opposed to a draft. This crap of not wanting young players to travel for work is out of touch with reality. Look at Peta Hiku Jason Taumalolo 21 and under and moving country to play footy. Matt Ballin is from Kingaroy? That's a long way from the northern beaches. Once again the AFL just do things so much better then the Greenturds running out game

That is a danger, but I don't think they could pool the best players, as they'd be over their points cap. They could pool the best players in a certain point range, but this would be the key of the points allocation in that hopefully all players in a certain point range would be of similar ability.

Barbar hasn't played origin. Milford not played origin. DCE is a fringe origin/Aussie rep so ok worth some points but with an unlimited amount to spend he'd be in Brisbane. I just don't see the points system effecting the ponies taking the best talent.

Cliffy said:
Barbar hasn't played origin. Milford not played origin. DCE is a fringe origin/Aussie rep so ok worth some points but with an unlimited amount to spend he'd be in Brisbane. I just don't see the points system effecting the ponies taking the best talent.

There would be a base amount for each level, no maximum, so players who haven't played at a certain level but are obviously in that higher bracket would be valued accordingly.

Jamie Lyon isn't a recent rep footballer either, but he's the best centre in the game, and would be valued as such.

I reckon if we had a points system this team would have been torn apart a long time ago.

Points or $$$ doesn't matter, you'll get the same result. It's still a cap.

Why would they entertain the idea of a points discount for long serving players when they don't offer a $$ discount under the current scheme ??

The other issue is if player points are independently reviewed at the end of each season then how does a club deal with increase in points for players that might develop into rep players ? Say you have a cap of 100 points (which you will fill to the limit as you do with salary cap) and you have two young guys that have really good rookie years and come from nowhere for rep honours (Hoppa and DCE for example). Their points go from low end of the scale to rep level and that pushes you over your points cap. Problem is that you have already signed them to 3-4 year deals so you can't cut them loose (not that you would want to) to get you back under your points, nor can you cut any of the rest of your squad if they are also contracted. How does that work ?

Maybe they need to allocate points for a player and that points value stays locked in for the duration of the players registered contract term. That way if you develop a rep player then you get the benefit of lower points value in the latter part of their contract. Likewise if you sign a marquee player and he goes off the boil then you are stuck with their elevated points value (Adam Blair). If a contract is upgraded/extended prior to the end of it's current term then at that point the player's points value would be reassessed and applied when the contract is lodged with NRL, so possible increase in points would have to be balanced in the negotiations.

Along with discounts for long serving players they also need a discount for long term injured players.

You're forgetting the points reduction scale @stevo......dispensation after 5,6,7 yrs etc. The
quality players get paid what they want but are
valued less as yrs go by and points are accrued / deducted.

And as for the Boncos, for example, they could
have Barba and DCE for a start...they then still have to fill their 17, and the squad of 25.
If the points system is graded effectively they
wouldn't be able to buy all the elite players...there would still be a need to buy lesser valued players and rookies to develop, or else risk eclipsing their allowed: points.

To me it would be fairer, more transparent and easier to moniter and control than what we have at present.

The real NRL - Newcastle Rugby League run a points system to try and spread the talent.

It appears to work.

I have said for years we need to have a salary cap in conjunction with a points system.

Let's face it, the biggest outcry is when a long-term player, such as Beaver and now Gift, is forced out of a club. It's not such a big deal when a young player moves. So, wouldn't the most simple system be for the NRL to give cap dispensations for players based on longevity at the one club? ie. 10% dispensation starts after five-years playing service, and increases by 10% every year. So, a 10-year veteran at the one club would only have half of his salary counted in the cap.
This would benefit all clubs who value loyalty, and allow more players to remain at one club for life.

Chip and Chase said:
Points or $$$ doesn't matter, you'll get the same result. It's still a cap.

Why would they entertain the idea of a points discount for long serving players when they don't offer a $$ discount under the current scheme ??

The other issue is if player points are independently reviewed at the end of each season then how does a club deal with increase in points for players that might develop into rep players ? Say you have a cap of 100 points (which you will fill to the limit as you do with salary cap) and you have two young guys that have really good rookie years and come from nowhere for rep honours (Hoppa and DCE for example). Their points go from low end of the scale to rep level and that pushes you over your points cap. Problem is that you have already signed them to 3-4 year deals so you can't cut them loose (not that you would want to) to get you back under your points, nor can you cut any of the rest of your squad if they are also contracted. How does that work ?

Maybe they need to allocate points for a player and that points value stays locked in for the duration of the players registered contract term. That way if you develop a rep player then you get the benefit of lower points value in the latter part of their contract. Likewise if you sign a marquee player and he goes off the boil then you are stuck with their elevated points value (Adam Blair). If a contract is upgraded/extended prior to the end of it's current term then at that point the player's points value would be reassessed and applied when the contract is lodged with NRL, so possible increase in points would have to be balanced in the negotiations.

Along with discounts for long serving players they also need a discount for long term injured players.

This a good point C&C, and something I hadn't thought of. Maybe you would see clubs signing players to 1-2 year contracts to give them more flexibility. The scenario you suggest of points locked for duration of the contract could also work. The potential problem to be dealt with there is at the other end of the scale, and clubs signing players to long term contracts. For example, young Lichaa for the Sharks who signed with the Dogs. Signed by the dogs before he played first grade, so while the points committee can value him at whatever they want, realistically he's valued pretty low due to no FG experience, despite the hype around his potential. If the Dogs sign him to a 10 yr contract, he's at the low value for 10 yrs.

The ARLC did commission some international Consultants to review all Salary Cap Systems in all the Major Sports in the World.

The ARLC has employed consultant Andrew Fraser to help review the salary cap systems used by major sporting competitions worldwide with a view to modernising the NRL system. Marquee-player allowances, ARU-style top-up payments and other systems from across the globe will be considered.

http://newsstore.fairfax.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac;jsessionid=0AE86D2D757FC19C8B3597973559EF91?sy=afr&pb=all_ffx&dt=selectRange&dr=1month&so=relevance&sf=text&sf=headline&rc=10&rm=200&sp=brs&cls=1897&clsPage=1&docID=ILL130820IC5EECT5PKR

Hope we live long enough for it to be of benefit to Manly :cool:

mosto said:
This a good point C&C, and something I hadn't thought of. Maybe you would see clubs signing players to 1-2 year contracts to give them more flexibility. The scenario you suggest of points locked for duration of the contract could also work. The potential problem to be dealt with there is at the other end of the scale, and clubs signing players to long term contracts. For example, young Lichaa for the Sharks who signed with the Dogs. Signed by the dogs before he played first grade, so while the points committee can value him at whatever they want, realistically he's valued pretty low due to no FG experience, despite the hype around his potential. If the Dogs sign him to a 10 yr contract, he's at the low value for 10 yrs.

That's not a problem in my eyes. If a club is willing to put their kahunas on the line and back their talent spotting / development ability then that's a plus. The other thing you need to realise is that the player in question has to be prepared to gamble their worth over a 10 year contract as well. No club is going to sign a player to a massive $$ long term contract without being certain of the return, similarly no player is going to sign a long term low-medium $$ contract - they all back their ability to increase their worth as their career progresses. Anyway it's no difference to the current system, a club can tie up a player for 10 years now should they wish.

We need to look at how other sports worldwide conduct business
I agree that a portion of the players salary should be exempt against the salary for each year served for the same team. Also, this should either be larger or begin early/immediately for local juniors. The intro of a signing bonus, similar to that used in the NFL, where on signing a contract an amount is paid upfront. This would mean clubs commit to players financially and would enable a different bargining power for teams. This amount would be equally split across each year of the contract. Unused cap space should be able to be rolled over into the following years cap. This would enable greater cap flexibilty to frontlpad contracts in a year when you have excess cap space. Finally, the ability to put performance bonuses into the contract would protect the teams and add incentive for players.

There is no salary cap. There is no limit on what players can earn. There is only a limit on what clubs or those Officially associated with the club can pay players. If I sell my company for 1 billion dollars and I create 25 companies who each pay 1 million to our top 25 players then that is ok by the Nrl as long as I have no ties to the club Officially.
Now all I need to do is find a buyer willing to pay $1 billion for nothing.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6