Rural recession

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yep Mata I concur with you. The drought really bad at the moment!
I'm sick of writing stories on it and all the doom and gloom associated.
Prices for staples are going through the roof and from all reports will only continue to rise...this will hit hard in the cities as well.
On a side note...the Narrandera local shire council (not noted for their smarts) decided in all their infinate wisdom last week to sign a three contract with two locals to onsell their excess 'High Security' water at $50 a mega litre (800x 50) for $40,000. On the water exchange at present water is sold at $300 a mega litre and it hasn't been below $200 a mega litre for months.
Now how farken stupid is that!

You reckon that's stupidity PJ? I reckon there might be an explosive story lurking in them there parts if you were to do a little digging.

Why is it that people like mechanics, small business people and half the population don't get government handouts? Because thay are not in bed with Johnny like the farmers and the Nats are. $350M handout. Excuse me! Raise interest rates is the answer - not. When the farmers are raking it in they have every subsidy to start with and pay next to no tax. The second conditions become a bit difficult it is time for the left leaning pinko farmers to put their grubby hands out for taxpayer funded welfare. Absolute bull****.

The only things I feel sorry for are the animals which are treated a fraction less humanely than normal. Let them play the futures exchanges on wheat prices and perish if they can't come to the party. After all they are the ones backing the party that refuses to support Kyoto causing most of the crap they are experiencing.

:bdh: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:

Surely MB you are not trying to allege that the citizens of Innisfail didn't get a hand out when they were struck by a natural disaster?

And surely you jest when you allege the $350million emergency natural disaster package that was announced yesterday isn't goiung to benefit mechanics, small business people and half the population of the bush?

And surely you aren't naive enough to assert that this drought and the El Nino are caused by the paltry amount of greenhouse gas emmissions that spiral up from this country when compared with other notable non-signatories to the Kyoto agreement, led by the economic and pollution giant of the good 'ol USA?

And please don't assume that we're all dumb enough to vote for that embarrasing irrelevance the National Party.

Why is it that people like mechanics, small business people and half the population don't get government handouts? Because thay are not in bed with Johnny like the farmers and the Nats are. $350M handout. Excuse me! Raise interest rates is the answer - not. When the farmers are raking it in they have every subsidy to start with and pay next to no tax. The second conditions become a bit difficult it is time for the left leaning pinko farmers to put their grubby hands out for taxpayer funded welfare. Absolute bull****.

The only things I feel sorry for are the animals which are treated a fraction less humanely than normal. Let them play the futures exchanges on wheat prices and perish if they can't come to the party. After all they are the ones backing the party that refuses to support Kyoto causing most of the crap they are experiencing.

:bdh: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:

in alot of respects I do agree with you MB. While the drought is bad- I still see farmers driving around in the latest model cars, their kids still going to private schools and the family still living a pretty good life so actually how much it is affecting them is a bit hard to gauge.
Coming from a country town where my family owned a pub we get to see alot of whiners come and go and I can guarantee you the farmers are the worst- nothing can be worse than the hardships they have endured and they are always willing to tell you all about it!
I am not saying that some farmers haven't had to suffer hardship BUT as MB rightly points out alot of people in other occupations suffer hardships due to unforeseen circumstances as well and you don't see the Telegraph dedicating full page stories to them.
As far as desperation goes- I see no farmers or their families lining up for handouts from St Vincent De Paul next door to where I work everyday- just the same poor old strugglers!

Also an interesting point on the news las
t night. While the farmers are getting subsidys , what about the Harvesters , that due to little crops , they will not be getting any business this year.
It does seem alot of emphasis has been placed on the farmer by the govt, without looking at the broader issues.
Who has had a banana in the last few months. I havnt , so we all suffer one way or another. The major problem with farmers would be the state of their mental health. Cant be good to walk out the front door each day and look at dust , after dust , after dust where crops should be.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6