1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revenge of the Eagles

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Crusher_Cleal, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Crusher_Cleal

Crusher_Cleal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +555 / 17
    For those NBA followers, it was interesting to see how the San Antonio Spurs put aside last season's devastating Finals loss to the Miami Heat (they blew that series) to come back very strong this season, take the # 1 seed in the ultra-competitive Western Conference, and swipe aside the Heat to win the Finals and gain a measure of revenge from the previous season. The Spurs openly stated in the playoffs that they were seeking to avenge the previous year, while the Heat in the end admitted they didn't have the hunger this year.

Similarly, we've seen Manly rebound very well this season after the GF devastation of last year, to sit #1 with 10 or so rounds to go. We haven't heard much out of the players mouths, but I would be very surprised if they weren't focused on gaining revenge for last year. It takes great mental strength to back-up strongly after previous season heart-break, and, like the Spurs, I think they will use this hunger to finish one better this year (and hopefully take out the Roosters in the process!)

What are your thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bradza

Bradza Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +497 / 6
    I like the analogy. A colleague at work (Parra fan) who follows the NBA said to me about two months back that he thought the Spurs were very much like Manly. A tough bunch of players without big egos who play as a team and seem to always be up near the top at the end of the season.

Let's hope the similarities continue to October.

3. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,404 / 130
    Tough yes but without big ego's??

Maybe only Foz, Lyon and Ballin.

4. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Egos not a dirty word - lack of it would have them content at backyard footy :cool:

5. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Basketball is a $hit sport.

6. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Woolgoolga, New South Wales
    Ratings:
    +522 / 0
    Only if your under 195cm tall.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    Good post. Ima spurs fan. They are a lot like us except that not everyone hates them.

8. KOMORI

KOMORI Born and bred an Eagle

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +3,269 / 53
    I played basketball... Once.

Apparently "crash tackling" is some sort of "foul"

Skirts :)