Read one of the punishments from ASADA is:

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagles2win

Bencher
That if more than two members of a team are implicated in a drug thing that team has to be suspended for a period of time
So if the allegations are true what does the NRL do?

1. Rename teams ie Cronulla drops Cronulla Sutherland from there name and become just become the Sharks or Sutherland Sharks, Southern Sharks.
Knights become Crusaders

2. Move teams - the new CEO has made no secret that he wants the NRL to have a national footprint so here's my out there suggestion the Sharks move to Adelaide and become the Adelaide Great Whites.

Not a black n white issue, what if players have moved on or are now playing reggies? ( quick sharks drop 14 players to nsw cup).

Why does the NRL need to be a signatory to the WADA Code anyway?
We are not an Olympic Sport.
What does the WADA association mean to Rugby League?
Even the World Cup is basically 3 countries.

The ARLC have the chance to set up their own Integrity/Drugs Oversight Department and stop this insanity:cool:

HappilyManly said:

The ARLC have the chance to set up their own Integrity/Drugs Oversight Department and stop this insanity:cool:

Several Rugby League bodies are pushing for the 9's to be included as a sport in the Commonwealth games so maybe that's why

I agree. 2 players? A club has what over 100 players across all grades/ages? You could have a bunch of individual players doing dodgy stuff and the club would reasonably have no idea.

NRL argues against WADA code changes
by: Chris Garry
March 11, 2013 12:00AM

THE NRL has written to the World Anti-Doping Agency, arguing against proposed amendments to its code which would automatically disqualify teams for two seasons if more than one of their players failed an in-competition test.

Four Sharks staffers were sacked on Friday and coach Shane Flanagan was stood down over alleged doping practices in 2011.

There is scope for WADA to recommend further sanctions as the anti-doping rules in Australia comply with the world body's.

Currently it takes three or more players from a team to commit doping violations for WADA's code to recommend team sanctions.

It is understood 14 Sharks players face serious doping charges from the 2011 season.

"The ruling body of a competition in which its members violate the code shall impose an appropriate sanction on the team e.g. loss of points, disqualification from a competition or event," the code says.

That could mean a worst-case scenario of the Sharks being kicked out of the NRL if players were found guilty by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.

Under a draft version of the 2015 WADA Code, the Sharks would be automatically kicked out of this year's and next year's competitions if players were found guilty of doping.

"If two or more participating members of a team in a team sport participating in an event are found to have committed an anti-doping rule violation during an event period ... then at a minimum the ruling body of the event shall disqualify the team from the event the next time it is held and the international federation (of a sport) shall impose a period of ineligibility on the team of one year," the draft code version 1 reads.

The NRL, through legal and regulatory affairs manager Emma Simpson, launched a submission to WADA labelling the changes potentially "catastrophic".

The International Cricket Council and the International Rugby Board also submitted criticisms.

An NRL spokesman said because they had not issued infraction notices they were not in a position to discuss potential punishments.

To advance their case, the NRL outlined a theoretical situation in which a club had two inexperienced first graders test positive to banned stimulants causing the entire club to be banned.

"The effect of the new proposed rule is that the NRL would have to disqualify (a club) from the NRL competition the following season and that Rugby League International Federation would have to ban (it) from all events for 12 months," the submission read.

"The consequences for other members of the football club, supporters, coaches, the team itself would be catastrophic."

The final version of the 2015 code will be released late this year.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-argues-against-wada-code-changes/story-e6frexnr-1226594351993

HappilyManly said:

Federal funding. Signing up to the code gives you some extra dollars from gubment.

The Korean soccer team from the Womens world cup has been banned from the next world cup for having 5 players test positive.In my view reducing it to two people would be far too onerous and absolutely agree with other posters here.

BUT

There is zero chance of any mainstream sport in this country not being a signatory to WADA, the worldwide move against drug use is too strong. Would be a great look wouldn't it, first sign of trouble and sorry boys we are out. No administrator of sport would even countenance the idea.

For all those who were carrying on about a press conference destroying our reputation what do you think that would do to us - that press conference would be a very sad joke compared to dealing with that fallout, that truly would destroy our reputation. The only mainstream country in the world to say its all too hard . It is too ridiculous to even contemplate and simply wont happen. And anyone who thinks the WADA Code is limited to Olympic sport is sadly mistaken. It is the universally accepted drug authority in the world across basically every sport, both professional and amateur.

Roy Masters made a great point the other day. The Olympic/amateur sports are professional in dealing with what substances athletes allow in their bodies while our professional sports are sadly very amateurish. As he said,no non cheating swimmer or runner in their right mind would accept an intravenous injection prior to a race without asking questions, regardless of who gave it to them, especially if that person is not a doctor. Given the facebook post that Givneys daughter put out there before it was pulled it seems obvious it wasn't the doctor brandishing the needle. In many cases in our sport it seems to be these high performance managers/scientists.

And once again all this talk getting airplay on talkback radio about reneging on codes we voluntarily signed up to is based on the premise that there are no guilty parties and no one would ever systematically dope in this country. Might be a sensible idea to wait and see before you remove yourself from the world governing body on drugs and become a pariah. Just a thought but patience unfortunately is no longer a virtue.

susan said:
For all those who were carrying on about a press conference destroying our reputation what do you think that would do to us - that press conference would be a very sad joke compared to dealing with that fallout, that truly would destroy our reputation. The only mainstream country in the world to say its all too hard . It is too ridiculous to even contemplate and simply wont happen. And anyone who thinks the WADA Code is limited to Olympic sport is sadly mistaken. It is the universally accepted drug authority in the world across basically every sport, both professional and amateur.

Roy Masters made a great point the other day. The Olympic/amateur sports are professional in dealing with what substances athletes allow in their bodies while our professional sports are sadly very amateurish. As he said,no non cheating swimmer or runner in their right mind would accept an intravenous injection prior to a race without asking questions, regardless of who gave it to them, especially if that person is not a doctor. Given the facebook post that Givneys daughter put out there before it was pulled it seems obvious it wasn't the doctor brandishing the needle. In many cases in our sport it seems to be these high performance managers/scientists.

And once again all this talk getting airplay on talkback radio about reneging on codes we voluntarily signed up to is based on the premise that there are no guilty parties and no one would ever systematically dope in this country. Might be a sensible idea to wait and see before you remove yourself from the world governing body on drugs and become a pariah. Just a thought but patience unfortunately is no longer a virtue.

Do not confuse those of us with concerns about the initial release as being 'anti-WADA' or dismissing drug problems. This tack has been getting some airplay by those wishing to demonise those with a strong opinion about how that particular day was played out.

You mention patience but it wasn't on display over a month ago when the agencies still had work to do on their respective investigations.

I think Roy's point was a bit redundant when he was comparing largely singular competitive sports (swimming, atheletics) to team ones. There is a lot more room for cracks to appear in a club environment, than the more one-on-one aspects. Perhaps the more pertinant point to make is that the sports that do involve more money to the athlete have more issues, due to the monetary reward that may pressure some to cross the line.

I don't think any serious supporter or code administrator is serious about walking from WADA, but there are a lot of competitions around the world making a noise about some of the OTT elements in the next drug management release.

I think the role of player's agents has been neglected in all this. Players should be able to fire off a quick text to their agent who can independently check whether a substance is good to go or not. Make them earn that 6.5%.

""I think Roy's point was a bit redundant when he was comparing largely singular competitive sports (swimming, atheletics) to team ones. There is a lot more room for cracks to appear in a club environment, than the more one-on-one aspects. Perhaps the more pertinant point to make is that the sports that do involve more money to the athlete have more issues, due to the monetary reward that may pressure some to cross the line.""

There is more room for cracks and money is a great temptation but his point his hardly redundant for a few reasons.
The first is obvious-the rules are there for the very reason of stopping people crossing the line for monetary reasons and they are extremely strict due to the fact there IS so much money in sport.

The second is that the difference between amateur and professional sport you refer to has ALWAYS been in place yet our professional sports voluntarily signed to the WADA code and often with much fanfare spruik the great work they are doing in association with ASADA and WADA.

Finally, there is absolutely no reason why a professional footballer should not show similar professionalism when dealing with supplements etc as individual/amateur/Olympic athletes. They are given all the information, education, pamphlets as any other athlete. Part of being a professional athlete is acting like one.If this comes down to intravenous injections of equine growth hormones etc as seems likely I find it absolutely amazing that players did not ask questions.

I think the main problem fans have is the athlete getting into trouble for being negligent but not a cheat.This is entirely understandable but common sense says this has to be the case for the code to make any difference.
If the offence was not strict liability with the athlete taking responsibility a cheating athlete could simply sheet home the blame to his support crew and we would have a situation where every time an athlete gets into hot water they would simply say"" ï didn't know"" and in the absence of any other evidence it becomes an untenable he says/she says scenario. Another situation that would occur regularly in high income pro sport would be where one of the support crew takes the fall and cops a nice big cheque for his trouble.I certainly have some sympathy but in my view the strict liability on the athlete with high levels of associated education is the only possible way for it to work and this is the very reason the bodies take this line.

If you are an amatuer these days, do you really have the drive within your field to feel the need to take banned substances? Are the testing regimes focused at any point on amatuer competitions?

Roy blurred his point when talking about amatuers and other sports. There are plenty of rich athletes on the back of world championships and Olympics, in the fields of swimming and athletics. They aren't amatuers.

Which then goes back to my point. The more direct/one-on-one elements in swimming/athletics must surely provide a strong understanding of what can and can't be put in the body on a regular basis, compared to team environments taking in a few dozen individuals.

That isn't to say more can't be done for the likes of League. But Roy's comments aren't a fair comparison.

I have tried to follow every scape of information since first broke.. confused as ever and do not know what to think.

I have lived in the area for 30 years and been to many Sharks games .. but I have this joke nagging at me ..what if this was THEIR year .. they win the premiership .. and then afew days later have it taken off them ... not sure if I should even admit my sick sense of humour

Want to list these wealthy Aussie athletes Hampster .Roys comments were directed at Australian sportsman.And please, the testing regimes for the Olympic which are mostly amateur are extremely focused hence the large number of positive tests and press coverage they receive.

There are very few athletes in Olympic sports or lower profile team sports in this country who earn big money yet they treat their supplement intake extremely seriously.Our Olympic team numbers in the 100s and only a handful don't rely on government funding to compete. Sally Pearson is by far our best athlete and has revealed her sponsorship has virtually totally dried up.She refuses to use supplements at all.Our swimmers other than that clown in the 100m and maybe Steph Rice rely on handouts.Nikky Hudson(Australian hockey captain and 3 time Olympian) is a great friend of mine and she says the amount of education they received and attention they paid to this issue is incredible.She played in a team environment too so this team/individual thing is a total smokescreen. She finished her career totally broke with little else to rely on because of the time she spent training and playing.

Who are these rich athletes you refer to and more importantly how hard is it for our blokes to educate themselves when plenty of others can. Maybe it would pay to listen to the guy at the front of the room from the NRL and ASADA who regularly brief these guys.Really difficult stuff given the amount of time they have on their hands.What are they,total vacuums.Once again it simply comes down to personal responsibility.

On a more positive note I did notice that a couple of leading scientists in this field and more importantly the NRL head of this department are already suggesting that supplements be simply banned.No grey areas and this garbage wont be a problem again.If there is no cutting edge there is no problem and if caught no excuses.

What concerns me upon reflection of WADA being able to stand down a professional Team due to a few rogue Players is this.

What if a lackey in the Training Staff of an champion Team is paid off and deliberately contaminates the Leading Team's supplements?

Is WADA going to boot out the Lakers, the Manchester Uniteds the Juventus...for 2 years?
Their own rule states that it does not matter if you are ignorant of it, if it is in your system, then you are a drug cheat.

Talk about Match fixing nightmares, the infamous Asian Bookies could fix a whole competition just by spiking a few Player's drinks:mad:

I still maintain that I can accept a Player maximising his performance for a win, but would not accept a fit Player throwing a match, under any circumstance.:cool:

susan said:
Want to list these wealthy Aussie athletes Hampster .Roys comments were directed at Australian sportsman.And please, the testing regimes for the Olympic which are mostly amateur are extremely focused hence the large number of positive tests and press coverage they receive.

There are very few athletes in Olympic sports or lower profile team sports in this country who earn big money yet they treat their supplement intake extremely seriously.Our Olympic team numbers in the 100s and only a handful don't rely on government funding to compete. Sally Pearson is by far our best athlete and has revealed her sponsorship has virtually totally dried up.She refuses to use supplements at all.Our swimmers other than that clown in the 100m and maybe Steph Rice rely on handouts.Nikky Hudson(Australian hockey captain and 3 time Olympian) is a great friend of mine and she says the amount of education they received and attention they paid to this issue is incredible.She played in a team environment too so this team/individual thing is a total smokescreen. She finished her career totally broke with little else to rely on because of the time she spent training and playing.

Who are these rich athletes you refer to and more importantly how hard is it for our blokes to educate themselves when plenty of others can. Maybe it would pay to listen to the guy at the front of the room from the NRL and ASADA who regularly brief these guys.Really difficult stuff given the amount of time they have on their hands.What are they,total vacuums.Once again it simply comes down to personal responsibility.

On a more positive note I did notice that a couple of leading scientists in this field and more importantly the NRL head of this department are already suggesting that supplements be simply banned.No grey areas and this garbage wont be a problem again.If there is no cutting edge there is no problem and if caught no excuses.

Perhaps it's your past work, but you're trying to muddy the simple point I was initially making.

Roy's comment would only be true if there were barely instances of 'less financial' (can't really call them amateurs anymore and I doubt any that you mentioned would suggest they were anything but professionals in their respective field) athletes being pinged by ASADA.

This would clearly be false, but an easy comment to make when we are more likely to read about failed drug tests from a NSW Cup player, than a regular in our national water polo or baseball teams.

That's why I disagree with Roy's statement re: 'amateurs' (the redundant term) are more careful.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2