Quick re-starts 20m

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
When we put a kick dead ingoal why don't the players follow the ball and either A: kick it away B: pass it to an opposing forward (slow runner)or C: dive on it.
The reason for this is to stop the quick re-starts that can hurt a tired team. It does not have to be obvious but by not contesting the dead ball the other team will have a clean run at a broken defensive line. I'm sure that if we even kick the ball toward the 20 to "help" the opusition they can't take an advantage.

While you are stuffing around trying to accidentally, unintentionally impede the opposition you are not getting back to the 30m line to join the defensive line and help out. In short any possible benefit (slower restart) would more often than not be outweighed by the cost (penalty or short defensive line).

The whole thing is insane. How can there be a genuine and equitable re-start of play with just 2 or 3 players ready to play? Only happens as we now have 2 referees. Just more insanity from NRL HQ.

Following the NRL HQ's logic, why can't we take a quick scrum when its to our advantage? If we have formed our pack & are ready to go, put the ball in & let's get on with it. So what if the other team haven't got their six ready and packed. All the opposition that didn't get into their pack in time are out of the game and not allowed to tackle us. This is a great innovation and it would speed the game up.

Brissie Kid said:
The whole thing is insane. How can there be a genuine and equitable re-start of play with just 2 or 3 players ready to play? Only happens as we now have 2 referees. Just more insanity from NRL HQ.

Following the NRL HQ's logic, why can't we take a quick scrum when its to our advantage? If we have formed our pack & are ready to go, put the ball in & let's get on with it. So what if the other team haven't got their six ready and packed. All the opposition that didn't get into their pack in time are out of the game and not allowed to tackle us. This is a great innovation and it would speed the game up.

I disagree with your statement. It seems that the only time that there is 2 or 3 players ready is when the kick is an absolute shocker. A lot of the runs generated by these restarts are exciting and create opportunities. Something which the NRL is rightly trying to do. The game is so defence oriented now that any bonus attacking opportunity is gold.

My problem with it is the re-start in play as not a fair contest. So if a team makes a break from that tap re-start it isn't good play but simply from being given an advantage. Thank heavens the NRL don't run cricket or they would let the bowler deliver the ball before the batsman took up his guard.

One of the biggest thrills in watching league is to see a break-out from deep in your own territory. The reason is pretty simple, when there is a long range try, or a long break followed by some hectic attack, you are on your feet cheering (and hoping) for a lot longer than with a sudden dive over from dummy half. All tries get applause after they're scored, but the long range attack simply lasts longer and the anticipation and excitement is greater.

I recall DCE doing a short goal-line drop out and Foz raced through, caught it and hared upfield. We didn't score but it was a real momentum changer, and I think it's the same principle. An opportunity for something different that can lead to exciting play.

Maybe they should let teams drop out as soon as they force the ball in the in goal as well?

Brissie Kid said:

The ref makes a call and the 6 closest players to the scrum have to sit down untill the next play.

Brissie Kid said:
My problem with it is the re-start in play as not a fair contest. So if a team makes a break from that tap re-start it isn't good play but simply from being given an advantage. Thank heavens the NRL don't run cricket or they would let the bowler deliver the ball before the batsman took up his guard.

If the kicker does his job, the other team isn't in the position to run back for a quick start

Maybe if you have to take the kickoff to start the 2nd half & you beat the other team out of the change rooms you can kickoff without them. That would make for spectacular play too.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Brissie Kid said:

If the kicker does his job, the other team isn't in the position to run back for a quick start

If the chasers do their job it doesn't matter either. But the question is about when it doesn't.

manlyfan76 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Brissie Kid said:

If the chasers do their job it doesn't matter either. But the question is about when it doesn't.

If you are kicking to a corner, you should probably only have 3-4 guys chasing that, leaving 9-10 to cover the centre of the field while they get back on side, and the chasers shouldn't have any further to run than the guy taking the ball

I just don't see the point , in giving the oposition a free ride when with some smart play chosen at the right moment you could easily prevent a quick restart. Gutherson in the 20's origin game was a good example of how you can get hurt. I'm not saying they need to do it every time but when yr struggling why not continue to chase the ball that is now dead and "unintentionally" kick it away or pick it up and ask for a video replay and allow the other 12 players to get a line set.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6