Questions for Manly fans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MrInvisible

Reserve Grader
Okay, a moment of seriousness for a second here.

Manly and the Dogs have had their differences, but who better to know players from Manly, than fans themselves.

So if you don't mind I'd like to dedicate this thread to such questions.

1. Des as a coach, it's said he rarely dropped players and was reluctant to change a side (win or loss), is this true?

2. Was Manly during Des's coaching era more a defensive, or attacking side?

3. Anyone know why Manly released Tim Browne (and on this, Harro is working out well for you guys!) Did any of you see him as up and coming?

4. Do you think the loss of Hoppa will really effect Manly much?

Interested to pick the brains of Manly faithfuls on what Dogs fans will be in store after a few rounds in.

Cheers :)

1. Yes, he picks and sticks.
2. Great defence but brilliant in attack.
3. Not sure
4. A bit but not as much as it will affect Parra's salary cap

Have a good day, food n drink sure tastes better after a friday night win.

1. True 100%. You will be stuck with Ennis at Hooker and with Wright and Goodwin on the left side. I think he does it to gain loyalty.

2. Defensive was what he improved first, once we had that down he started with set plays ect. Defense is what his plans are based on though.

3. Harrison is ok, not great though.

4. For the Money the Eels are paying him we are better off without him, if we could have kept him for a decent amount it would have been a huge bonus. We have Dean Whare to cover him anyway.

MrInvisible said:

Manly and the Dogs have had their differences, but who better to know players from Manly, than fans themselves.

1. Des as a coach, it's said he rarely dropped players and was reluctant to change a side (win or loss), is this true?

3. Anyone know why Manly released Tim Browne (and on this, Harro is working out well for you guys!) Did any of you see him as up and coming?

Interested to pick the brains of Manly faithfuls on what Dogs fans will be in store after a few rounds in.

1. No.
2. Not really.
3. No clue.
4. Not too much but still a great talent whom will be a full-back or centre & not on the wing for the majority of his career.

Question to you. Did Des Hasler & the Premiership winning teams of 2008 & 2011 bring happiness to the Manly fans?

1/ He sticks solid - remember Luke Williamson
2/ As above he will foundation is defence and no mistakes. You wont see much attacking variation from the dogs (apart from Barba) until another year or so
3/ Browne came from Souffs - didnt set the world on fire here, he was OK, had plenty of better players ahead of him though
4/ Hoppa is brilliant and I believe we have missed him as he scored some tries last year other can't but we have a handy back ups with Whare, Oldfield and Farrer we fit - but he is not worth the cash Parra is forking out for him especially after a couple of years out of the NRL riding push bikes around Brisbane.

Interesting, thanks for the replies.

It does explain a few things about how our side is going at the moment.

From last year it is indeed chalk and cheese. The Bulldogs of the past few years would have packed up at half time, and got flogged. If you asked me a few years ago if we had a chance against the Storm or Manly, I'd have laughed and said "no way".

Our defence has improved remarkably, and whilst our attack is still flat, we are playing 80 minutes (another thing that was rare for the Dogs). We have however lost the Dogs of War tag.

Sure you win and lose some along the way, and compared to the likes of Manly & Storm (who have had an excellent core over the past (and current) years) I'm proud of my side staying in the game last night.

With a coach that wasn't meant to be here till next year, and a run of signings made before Des came across, I think the Dogs are in good strides at the moment.

I think with exception of Broncos though, sides that have an ageing core (Melb and Storm) will need to address this in the not so distant future. For this reason it's good that Manly have been able to secure their halves (in fairness Manly have brought them up from nothing - albeit under Hasler).

I'm very interested to see what magic Hasler can work with our junior ranks actually. If he can pluck DCE and Foran out of B grades and make them stars, I'll be interested to see how he can work magic with our guys.

With a NSW Cup side that has been close to unbeatable over recent years, surely the talent is there, it's just stepping it up to an NRL level.

You dogs should sign Chris Bailey.A great utility that fits Dog$ler$ game plan very well.
As a Manly fan I say you dogs deserve him for a couple of years.

After a couple of years you will know exactly what your team is working towards in attack(very predictable).

What was Manly playing like pre Hasler?

From what I can see, you guys suffered a bit of a slump between 1998 and 2006 (including the first 2 years Hasler was coach).

Therefore we shouldn't expect miracles just yet, as I see the Dogs now where Manly was around the time Hasler came to coach them. A few years with Hasler and Manly were fine tuned and setup for years to come.

MrInvisible said:

From what I can see, you guys suffered a bit of a slump between 1998 and 2006 (including the first 2 years Hasler was coach).

Therefore we shouldn't expect miracles just yet, as I see the Dogs now where Manly was around the time Hasler came to coach them. A few years with Hasler and Manly were fine tuned and setup for years to come.

You keep dreamin that while scratching fleas mate;)

The one thing you have to take in to account is that we have a very special group of players at Manly, to keep our team under the cap means quite a few players would have taken less money to stay with us.

Good luck building a side of internationals and keeping them under the cap like we have, you can't do it by paying huge money for established players from other clubs, you have to build your own great players and gain a loyal but talented team. The fact you guys are trying to throw huge money at our players shows you are going in the wrong direction, a bit like Parra with Sandow and Hoppa ect

MrInvisible said:

Manly's "slump between 1998-2006" was as a result of your pathetic club selling its soul to News Limited, which saw our great club almost gone in the effort to save the ARL.

This is why the trophy last night should never be named after Moore.

And this, Mrs Visible, is the reason why I, and I suspect many more Manly diehards, dislike your club- the de$ issue is peripheral and consequential to the behaviour one would expect from Belmore.

MrInvisible said:

1. Yes he rarely drops. However that was generally the case as we had no one else better in reggies. When we had a better player they would get a chance. I remember many a times poster on here demanding players be dropped however there was no one any better to take their place.

2. I think Des focused on defence and attack equally. We were generally up there as one of the top defensive and attacking sides in the comp.

3. No idea on Tim Browne. I vaguely remember the name at Manly. I remember Harrison leaving Manly for the dogs and many being upset as he was a junior NSW rep with big raps. He was talked up in the 20's however I always thought he was a little small. He will not be a star but he is a good fringe player for our squad. They all cannot be stars.

4. Yes I think the loss of Hoppa will effect us. Probably not in the next year or so but when we lose players such as Stewart, Lyon and Matai it will. In the short term we really miss his metres from dummy half out of our own end.

MrInvisible said:

Absolutely true. He'll stick with a player to a fault, just ask any Manly fan about Shane Neumann.

I would say that we were more of a defensive team. Most of our bigger wins/scorelines came from piling the points on later in the game after beating the opponents senseless for 60-70 minutes.

As far as I remember he wasn't released, he just took up a better contract with your lot, could be wrong though. He seemed/seems like he has some potential for a big lad.

As much as losing a player of that calibre will hurt any team. As for effecting the current level of play, though? not much.

Bear in mind that Manly pre-Hasler were the Northern f**king Eagles & that abortion of a club was coached by Peter Sharp - who may be the most useless bastard to ever masquerade as a head coach in rugby league. The roster that Hasler inherited was absolutely awful, which is why it took time for us to move back up the ladder. I don't think that you guys will have to wait that long to start seeing results.

Mr Invisible. What you need to work out is who of your Bulldogs players has been passed the goat photos. Whoever has them is coated in Teflon. I'm thinking Stagg might have them, particularly as he reminds me of Luke Williamson so much.

torana355 said:
The one thing you have to take in to account is that we have a very special group of players at Manly, to keep our team under the cap means quite a few players would have taken less money to stay with us.

Well where would you rather live? Harbord or Lukemba?

From memory Tim Browne had potential. He is mobile and has good skills. However I think he had problems with multiple injuries and couldnt put together enough time on the paddock to warrant Manly keeping him. He is a good player and if he remains injury free he still could make first grade.

No offense but I don't know why you bother. A few lead in questions so you can then deliver the speech you really wanted to give - just how wonderful the doggies are and what a great future they have. Nice tactics but I'm sorry i wasted time reading it or pointing out the obvious. Stick to licking your wounds and whatever else at the kennel.

north coast eagle said:
From memory Tim Browne had potential. He is mobile and has good skills. However I think he had problems with multiple injuries and couldnt put together enough time on the paddock to warrant Manly keeping him. He is a good player and if he remains injury free he still could make first grade.
That's what I've seen of him in NSW Cup. Lots of ability, but injury prone. Did his knee twice last year.

ManlyBacker said:
No offense but I don't know why you bother. A few lead in questions so you can then deliver the speech you really wanted to give - just how wonderful the doggies are and what a great future they have. Nice tactics but I'm sorry i wasted time reading it or pointing out the obvious. Stick to licking your wounds and whatever else at the kennel.

I think they call it "licking their butthurt"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8