Question for footy brains

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
I hear what the team is saying about completions making a huge difference and it seems true. But I'm wondering where the fault has emerged in our defence where it seems pretty easy to score on our edges.
Is it the lack of Ballin and Buhrer, so everyone else had to come in?
Is there a problem with (and I love him) Killer where the winger on his side is dragged too far in (Hiku having same probs as Wolfie being off wing)?
Do we have rubbish wingers?
Does Snake direct our defence better than anyone ever could?
Is our whole defensive structure slightly off?

Genuine question and would appreciate thoughtful answers rather than much of the hysterical rubbish we had in here last night.
Thanks.

I don't have the footy brain you require, but I can say that no-one directs our defence around like Snake. You are right, he is the best.
Also, I believe we can win next week. You don't win the GF in September. ;)

Even under Hasler's time Manly has always been hopeless on our own try line.

Manly were successful though as they were good at keeping teams away from the Manly end of the field for most of the games.

Same in last year's grand final. People blaming Wolfie not being able to stop a freak of a winger right on the try line. Toovey said it later but no one listened. The problem was the 6 tackles before it which went 70m and the 2nd chance kick the Rorters got on the last tackle.

Our ball control is a big factor is our recent demise as well that we are getting pumped when it comes to controlling the ruck.

Our halves do not have the space to dictate as they can. That will only change when there is consistent go forward. I suspect DCE is playing injured as he is reluctant to have a go at the line at the moment.

My two cents worth......hiku is a good finisher but grabs in defence and struggles reading the play,killer doesnt trust him...tafua is am athlete,not a natural footballer..foran is not providing his usual aggression and linespeed in defence,opposition playmakers getting too much time,when was his last trademark hit,he determines our linespeed particularly when defending our line....snake is irreplaceable re defence organization.....use of bench is difficult to understand eg hasson last nigjt.....and finally a simple lack of size now the tempo of the comp has increased

Losing last year's defensive coach is our biggest problem. We have always had a problem on the Lyon's side on set plays for the past two years but the weakness around the edge of the rucks has developed this year. I have been watching some of last years games and noticed that more often than not, the first or second man in on a tackle went low which stopped the rolling forward getting an extra 5-10 metres and an offload which sucks in the edge defence as they try to nullify the attack.
And while we are at it, Hiku and DCE have been disappointing the last 3 weeks. Before you yell at me, I have seen DCE still put in good efforts when our forwards have been dominated. He doesn't always have to give us a try or try assist to contribute.
If Brett Stewart is out, defensively I would have Hiku at fullback but for attack I think Gutherson would give us more options.

ALso, I do not class myself as a footy brain, only use the usual male quota of 1%. Enjoy watching a game over dissecting one.

ANd another thing, bring on Souths!!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6