Premiership number 9

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher

NRL 2021: Manly owner Scott Penn’s bold premiership prediction for Sea Eagles​

Manly owner Scott Penn is confident the Sea Eagles are on the cusp of a return to the club’s glory days — and has made a bold call on his expectations of another NRL premiership.

Dean Ritchie Exclusive
May 19, 2021 - 4:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Manly owner Scott Penn has boldly predicted his Sea Eagles can return to the club’s glory days by winning a premiership within the next two to three years.

And Penn wants wily old coach Des Hasler right there to claim his third title.
Speaking before Manly’s massive game against rivals Parramatta on Sunday, Penn said the core of his side — Tom and Jake Trbojevic and Daly Cherry-Evans — coupled with the club’s amazing crop of emerging stars can take Manly to the club’s ninth premiership.

After losing the opening four games, Manly have won five of their past six games and roared into seventh position on the NRL competition table.
The Sea Eagles have become one of the NRL’s most feared teams which will ensure a monumental match against fellow high-flyers Parramatta at Bankwest Stadium.

And with Manly’s brilliant rookies surfacing, Penn has forecast a grand final win inside the next few years.
“I believe we are genuine contenders,” Penn said. “We want to win comps.
“We are coming into our own again – in the next two to three years, we will definitely be contenders again — we will be in the mix again.

“This is what we have been building for. We still have a way to go but this, to a degree, is the new Manly.
“Things can change quickly but we definitely have the nucleus of a side that can compete for premierships – that is why we do this, that’s the only reason we do this.
“I think we’d all be delighted for Des to win his third premiership with the Sea Eagles – that’s why I brought him back in the first place. I knew he was the man to do it and now we have assembled a side that is capable of it.
“All this talent coming through, this is all part of the bigger picture. This hasn’t just happened. It’s been a long time coming.
“But we have to prove ourselves against the existing contenders. If we can give them a run for their money then anything can happen.”

Manly has unearthed a batch of super kids including Haumole Olakau’atu, Sean Keppie, Josh Schuster, Taniela Paseka and Toafofoa Sipley.
Penn said he is reminded of previous eras — around 2004 and 2010 — when Manly built premiership-winning teams around youth.

“Josh Schuster is already a phenomenal talent and he is part of our exciting future, as are a number of our up-and-coming players,” Penn said.
“It is really exciting to see them get a taste of first grade and making it their own. There is the same sense that we had back in 2004 and 2005 when the Stewart brothers and a lot of younger players were coming through. It has that same feel.
“They proved themselves pretty quickly and then we started to go deep into the finals. And then it happened in 2010 and 2011 with an under-20s team when Daly (Cherry-Evans) and ‘Foz’ (Kieran Foran) came through. It was fantastic.”

Victory on Sunday against the Eels would send shockwaves through the NRL, with the Sea Eagles still $26 to win the premiership.
The team everyone loves to hate could be hated once again.

“We can’t get ahead of ourselves but we definitely have momentum and that’s exactly what we wanted,” Penn said.
“The performances we have seen over the last six weeks have been outstanding but we still have to step it up. If we can continue that form then we will be super competitive.
“Manly and Parramatta have a long-term rivalry that I grew up with and I’m excited for the game. I’m looking forward to our boys competing at that level and showing everyone what they’ve got.”

Manly started the season horribly with successive losses to Sydney Roosters, South Sydney, St George Illawarra and Penrith.

“We certainly had some discussions with Des. He was disappointed with the performances but he wasn’t panicking,” Penn said. “We all agreed that we wanted to see some turnaround in the near future but no-one was pressing the panic button and we are glad that what we were hoping would happen has happened."
“Everyone internally had a deep belief that there was nothing fundamentally wrong — we just weren’t respecting the ball and weren’t doing the things in defence that we had trained all off-season for.”

Parramatta officials continue to predict a crowd of nearly 30,000 for the big match.

NRL 2021: Manly owner Scott Penn’s bold premiership prediction for Sea Eagles​

Manly owner Scott Penn is confident the Sea Eagles are on the cusp of a return to the club’s glory days — and has made a bold call on his expectations of another NRL premiership.

Dean RitchieExclusive

3 min read
May 19, 2021 - 4:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
0 comments

Manly owner Scott Penn has boldly predicted his Sea Eagles can return to the club’s glory days by winning a premiership within the next two to three years.
And Penn wants wily old coach Des Hasler right there to claim his third title.
Speaking before Manly’s massive game against rivals Parramatta on Sunday, Penn said the core of his side — Tom and Jake Trbojevic and Daly Cherry-Evans — coupled with the club’s amazing crop of emerging stars can take Manly to the club’s ninth premiership.
Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand with No Ad-Breaks During Play. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
After losing the opening four games, Manly have won five of their past six games and roared into seventh position on the NRL competition table.
The Sea Eagles have become one of the NRL’s most feared teams which will ensure a monumental match against fellow high-flyers Parramatta at Bankwest Stadium.
Manly co-owner Scott Penn is excited about the Sea Eagles’ future. Picture: Tim Hunter

Manly co-owner Scott Penn is excited about the Sea Eagles’ future. Picture: Tim Hunter
And with Manly’s brilliant rookies surfacing, Penn has forecast a grand final win inside the next few years.
“We are coming into our own again – in the next two to three years, we will definitely be contenders again — we will be in the mix again.
Daly Cherry-Evans won a premiership with Manly in 2011. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

Daly Cherry-Evans won a premiership with Manly in 2011. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins
“This is what we have been building for. We still have a way to go but this, to a degree, is the new Manly.
“Things can change quickly but we definitely have the nucleus of a side that can compete for premierships – that is why we do this, that’s the only reason we do this.
“I think we’d all be delighted for Des to win his third premiership with the Sea Eagles – that’s why I brought him back in the first place. I knew he was the man to do it and now we have assembled a side that is capable of it.
“All this talent coming through, this is all part of the bigger picture. This hasn’t just happened. It’s been a long time coming.
Results

Will Manly win a NRL premiership in the next three years?​

Yes
54%

No
46%
84 Voters

“But we have to prove ourselves against the existing contenders. If we can give them a run for their money then anything can happen.”
Manly has unearthed a batch of super kids including Haumole Olakau’atu, Sean Keppie, Josh Schuster, Taniela Paseka and Toafofoa Sipley.
Penn said he is reminded of previous eras — around 2004 and 2010 — when Manly built premiership-winning teams around youth.
“Josh Schuster is already a phenomenal talent and he is part of our exciting future, as are a number of our up-and-coming players,” Penn said.
Josh Schuster is among a new wave of young stars coming through at Manly. Picture: Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos

Josh Schuster is among a new wave of young stars coming through at Manly. Picture: Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
“It is really exciting to see them get a taste of first grade and making it their own. There is the same sense that we had back in 2004 and 2005 when the Stewart brothers and a lot of younger players were coming through. It has that same feel.
“They proved themselves pretty quickly and then we started to go deep into the finals. And then it happened in 2010 and 2011 with an under-20s team when Daly (Cherry-Evans) and ‘Foz’ (Kieran Foran) came through. It was fantastic.”
Victory on Sunday against the Eels would send shockwaves through the NRL, with the Sea Eagles still $26 to win the premiership.
The team everyone loves to hate could be hated once again.
“We can’t get ahead of ourselves but we definitely have momentum and that’s exactly what we wanted,” Penn said.
“The performances we have seen over the last six weeks have been outstanding but we still have to step it up. If we can continue that form then we will be super competitive.
Daly Cherry-Evans and Haumole Olakau'ata celebrate a try to Tom Trbojevic. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images'ata celebrate a try to Tom Trbojevic. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images

Daly Cherry-Evans and Haumole Olakau'ata celebrate a try to Tom Trbojevic. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images
“Manly and Parramatta have a long-term rivalry that I grew up with and I’m excited for the game. I’m looking forward to our boys competing at that level and showing everyone what they’ve got.”
Manly started the season horribly with successive losses to Sydney Roosters, South Sydney, St George Illawarra and Penrith.
“We certainly had some discussions with Des. He was disappointed with the performances but he wasn’t panicking,” Penn said. “We all agreed that we wanted to see some turnaround in the near future but no-one was pressing the panic button and we are glad that what we were hoping would happen has happened.
“Whilst no one was happy with the start, we were clear all along.

More Coverage​

Kent: Flat earth fools denying concussion reality Transfer Market: Moses makes huge call on Eels future
“Everyone internally had a deep belief that there was nothing fundamentally wrong — we just weren’t respecting the ball and weren’t doing the things in defence that we had trained all off-season for.”
Parramatta officials continue to predict a crowd of nearly 30,000 for the big match.
The article got a few points wrong
"But no one was pressing the panic buttons" regarding the early rounds.

Clearly they didn't read silvertails with panic abounding, pitch forks being handed out, a march organised and petitions started. @:D

I think Foran has been good.Obviously he’s not going to carve up teams like he’s done in the past but he’s done a job and to be fair,he has given Parker space many times it’s just that,well less said about Parker’s pace the better.Foran also gives Schuster more time to develop because I’m not sure Schuster is quite ready to be a full time 5/8 in first grade just yet

It might just be me but I hate articles like this.

We only made it into the Top 8 (after 12 months outside it) on Friday... and now the owner is talking about winning a premiership again.
Agree. Hope it's not like the Kennett curse at Hawthorn.

I think Foran has been good.Obviously he’s not going to carve up teams like he’s done in the past but he’s done a job and to be fair,he has given Parker space many times it’s just that,well less said about Parker’s pace the better.Foran also gives Schuster more time to develop because I’m not sure Schuster is quite ready to be a full time 5/8 in first grade just yet
Foran is performing a role similar to Terry Hill’s ‘second coming’ in 2005.

Hopefully it will continue on into next season and perhaps 2023 - when he should pass 200 FG for Manly.

Was just some innnuendo. Grrr.

Clearly they didn't read silvertails with panic abounding, pitch forks being handed out, a march organised and petitions started. @:D
Yeah the media have attributed our rise in the comp to Tommy.
‘But the real catalyst was @Ryan s threats of an organised march into Narrabeen HQ.

how about this:

'I think we’d all be delighted for Des to win his third premiership with the Sea Eagles'

pretty sure he has 2 from coaching and 2 from playing but what would i know,
dean ritchie would surely be correct in everything he puts to print

Don't forget the burning torches with the pitch forks as we all marched down the Manly corso screaming for the head of the coach and the captain.

Words spoken from a very Passionate Manly Man

Being a Club Owner is a thankless Job

Being a Club Owner of the Greatest Club of all The Manly Sea eagles would be a very special Privilege and a Great Honour that few have had the Great pleasure just like the Great Max Delmege .

I would like to see a Penn Delmege Grand Stand at Lottoland
because without those two Great men our Great club would not be Standing

Don't wanna jump the gun, but this is looking a likely squad....I'd go as far as to say, with the right 9, be a good shot in 2021....looking pretty sharp at the moment but the knife would slice through any opposition with the right 9

It's nice (and a change) to read articles where the feeling around the club is positive .

Err.... though I wish this story came out after the Parra game. I'm not into giving opposition any ammo ever. Please, no more talk of premierships at the moment, k thanks.

It'd be good to be an owner, only have to speak during the good times!

"A Ritchie exclusive" is a bit self congratulatory. Doing your job shouldn't mean you brand everything as an exclusive.

-Thanks for posting. :)

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8