Pre Game thread: Manly v Sharks [Week 1 Finals, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
At the end of the day, despite the reservations some have , T Rex has played Origins, Tests, and multiple finals and Grand Finals. Makes more sense throwing him in than throwing in another star struck rookie.

I reckon he'll go alright. Let's face it we are behind the 8 ball anyway and it's not like anybody is expecting us to win anyway really. It would be one of the greatest final wins I can remember from us if we do. An old head might be what we need.

At the end of the day, despite the reservations some have , T Rex has played Origins, Tests, and multiple finals and Grand Finals. Makes more sense throwing him in than throwing in another star struck rookie.

I reckon he'll go alright. Let's face it we are behind the 8 ball anyway and it's not like anybody is expecting us to win anyway really. It would be one of the greatest final wins I can remember from us if we do. An old head might be what we need.
I’m expecting us to win.

We scrubbed up ok

I like the team / Squad

It is a team of players that have proven them selves this season

Players that would be eager to make amends from the last few weeks

and players given the opportunity to make their mark

Our boys have a lot to play for

I am very confident our boys will deliver

Last edited:
Manly team
Some whittling to do there - will be interesting to see later in the week who is left in the 19 man squad, then the 17 man squad & finally who runs on to the field in the starting 13. At this stage, there are no certainties and knowing what smokescreens Des might use....

Last edited:
FMD he played his last decent game 7 years ago. What is this obsession with him! He’s done.

Give fit young guys a go who you know will bust their gut for every minute they are on the field to prove themselves which is what is required in finals football .One thing you know about TRex - he won’t bust his gut for every minute.That is 100 per cent cast iron guaranteed.
And every Sharks player knows that because he played there.

Last edited:
FMD he played his last decent game 7 years ago. What is this obsession with him! He’s done.

Give fit young guys a go who you know will bust their gut for every minute they are on the field to prove themselves which is what is required in finals football .One thing you know about TRex - he won’t bust his gut for every minute.That is 100 per cent cast iron guaranteed.

Could NOT agree more with any post this year!!

TBH, he’s 21, and very very little chance of a start!!

I hope.

FMD he played his last decent game 7 years ago. What is this obsession with him. He’s done. Give fit young guys a go who you know will bust their gut for every minute they are on to prove themselves.One thing you know about TRex he won’t bust his gut for every minute.That is 100 per cent guaranteed.
I am a long way from excited about the prospect...but he has been playing well in NSW cup. Really it comes down to the fact that we have run out of (fit and in form) young guys to play. Who would you have in his place?
It will probably be a case of whether Sipley can/should play.

I believe that side is more than capable of winning this game.
Agree. When Cust Croker Funa and t rex still cant make our 17 despite all the injuries it shows we actually do have alot of depth and that is a side more than capable of winning.
Keppie showed he belongs.
Perrett was a great impact last week and been carving up Blacktown
Haumole is a huge unit with all the skills and has the ability to be anything. Gosiewski and Waddell have played all year and showed they are more than capable. It now comes down to our mental toughness and preparation. This side can win and has more than enough skill, size and power, we just need to show our resilience again!!!
Get Taupau back next week and all of a sudden we'll win the comp:)

Olokauta and Sipley for sure in front of him. After that I would have any fit and healthy forward in front of him. If they can ask for an exemption for him they can ask for an exemption for anyone. Saunders would bust his boiler till he couldn’t walk . Give me that any day over a bloke who wanders around until someone screams at him to do something.

This is a sudden death semi.

I like the side that has been picked, I think we need more points in us and I would make a slight change, move Walker to centre, Cust to 5/8, and omit Parker from the from the starting side.
Reserves - Fainu, Sipley, T-Rex and Perrett. (bench gives us size up front and T-Rex & Perrett can offload in traffic)

I don't know why but I do feel confident that we can win this game, not sure how far we go after this week though.

Manly team

1 Brendan Elliot

2 Jorge Taufua

3 Brad Parker

4 Moses Suli

5 Reuben Garrick

6 Dylan Walker

7 Daly Cherry-Evans (c)

8 Addin Fonua-Blake

9 Apisai Koroisau

10 Sean Keppie

11 Corey Waddell

12 Jack Gosiewski

13 Jake Trbojevic

Interchange

14 Manase Fainu

15 Haumole Olakau'atu

16 Lloyd Perrett

17 Toafofoa Sipley

18 Lachlan Croker

19 Cade Cust

20 Tevita Funa

21 Tony Williams
expect Des to mix this up game day, Fainu to start Api to lock and Jake to prop for immediate impact to blow them away in the first 20-30mins with speed - ball control and defence will be key after that. we execute and we win SIMPLEZ!

T-Rex on the edges with his offloads for a 20 minute stint at the back end of the game if we are chasing points could prove the difference. Des wouldn't pick him if he thought he wasn't up for it. Look at his BWSE stats and he has been busy.

Last week we struggled in attack and need second phase in our game, other than Jake and AFB who else is going to deliver that part of the game?

And every Sharks player knows that because he conjured up one first grade game while he was at Cronulla.
Trex is the only forward on the extended bench, I reckon he is only there in case Sipley or Jack doesn’t measure up coming back from injury or there is a training mishap in the forwards during the week

• 📚
Reactions: lsz
Olokauta and Sipley for sure in front of him. After that I would have any fit and healthy forward in front of him. If they can ask for an exemption for him they can ask for an exemption for anyone. Saunders would bust his boiler till he couldn’t walk . Give me that any day over a bloke who wanders around until someone screams at him to do something.

This is a sudden death semi.
Saunders is probably the only other option that I would consider. But in fairness to Williams; he has been putting in for the cup team and (unlike Saunders) has played a lot of football under Des and will know what to expect in an NRL final.
With the way Des likes to use that 4th bench spot they probably won't much game time unless there is an injury or two and in that case, Williams probably slots into Des' structures more comfortably.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8