POLL Brooks Vs Shoe

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I saw Shu play today for Blacktown and allowing for it was his first game, he was pedestrian and pretty much anonymous today. He has a lot of work ahead to be a contender for first grade!

Valid. But I think Lodge also comes into the frame when fit. With Jake playing 80 min I think we only need two middles on the bench. I’d still have Schu there as impact/

We’re on the hook for both salaries, regardless of where they play.
My point being we are wasting money on Schu, having him come off the bench. We should shop him and spend the money elsewhere.

The most interesting aspect of the ‘Schuster’ defence, is that ignores so much anecdotal evidence. The proof is in the pudding.

It’s set back after set back, it’s poor game after poor game, it’s unfit this and unfit that and it’s a massive pay check, yet still we cling to hope because he played some good football three years ago. We aren’t paying him for what he did in 2021 (a season which has taken on mythical proportions, I might add).

He needs to go to England or something.

Extending shoe last year in my opinion was a bad idea. I know I said it time and time again at the time but I feel we could of invested his portion of the cap in better areas.
When Seib's sat down with Schuster about his contract, it was to extend his time here but at less money. Was reported that bringing it down to the 600k mark would take the presure of Schuster. Does anybody else see this report and does anybody really know for sure what the Schu is on.

The most interesting aspect of the ‘Schuster’ defence, is that ignores so much anecdotal evidence. The proof is in the pudding.

It’s set back after set back, it’s poor game after poor game, it’s unfit this and unfit that and it’s a massive pay check, yet still we cling to hope because he played some good football three years ago. We aren’t paying him for what he did in 2021 (a season which has taken on mythical proportions, I might add).

And that's it LC, Schuster is like the Rainbow in the distance, their is Gold there but you can never find it.

Disagree that it's clinging onto good football played three years ago.The dude has talent especially in his creativity in attack and ball playing skills that are at a top level when he's at his best. It's been shown in games last year vs Parra, Raiders, Dolphins. Yes the price tag is not worth it with how he manages his fitness and efforts in defence. A change of scenery at the RIGHT club is what he needs but what I fear is he becomes one of the best players in his position after a few years and that we regret letting him go and mismanaging him.

I watched the Reserve Grade game today. I was particularly interested to see how Shuster would perform. What confused me he didn't look like a player who was fighting for, or trying to impress for a place in first grade.
He made no effort to get involved in the game. He just hung around on the fringes. Surely as a second rower he would be expected to have some occasional hard running of the ball up the middle in attack. The wingers do. Nope. Not Shu. Not a single one. Just hung around waiting for the ball so he could show off his apparent skills when we got close to the line. And he didn't impress there either. A few diagonal runs. That was it. Basically he did nothing. He appeared lazy. Like he had nothing to prove.
In my opinion he has far more to prove than we all had hoped for.

Disagree that it's clinging onto good football played three years ago.The dude has talent especially in his creativity in attack and ball playing skills that are at a top level when he's at his best. It's been shown in games last year vs Parra, Raiders, Dolphins. Yes the price tag is not worth it with how he manages his fitness and efforts in defence. A change of scenery at the RIGHT club is what he needs but what I fear is he becomes one of the best players in his position after a few years and that we regret letting him go and mismanaging him.

I tend to agree with that. Look, DCE is 35. He is in the final years of his career and TBH if his Origin career lasts beyond this year I'll be surprised (it'll be his choice) while I give his NRL career another 3 years at best. Luke Brooks will be 30 in November. These guys aren't going to be around forever and who knows yet how a kid like Jamie Humphries might handle first grade in the halves?? Trials are one thing. But there have been many a Cooper Johns in this game.....

Shoe for all of his faults, has been there, done that as far as first grade goes. We know what we can get from him in the halves or even the back row. He's only 22. If he knuckles down, ups his work rate on and off the field, his best years are ahead of him and I'd rather that be in maroon and white than any other teams colours.

The trouble for now is where do you play him?? Neither Burbo or Haumole are likely to be dropped as both have started the season very well, while our bench has also been hot for us, especially Brown and Bullemor. Shoe and some of his fans may not like it, but for now its either Blacktown or the bench.

I tend to agree with that. Look, DCE is 35. He is in the final years of his career and TBH if his Origin career lasts beyond this year I'll be surprised (it'll be his choice). Luke Brooks will be 30 in November. These guys aren't going to be around forever and who knows yet how a kid like Jamie Humphries might handle first grade in the halves?? Trials are one thing. But there have been many a Cooper Johns in this game.....

Shoe for all of his faults, has been there, done that as far as first grade goes. We know what we can get from him in the halves or even the back row. He's only 22. If he knuckles down, ups his work rate on and off the field, his best years are ahead of him and I'd rather that be in maroon and white than any other teams colours.
If you saw him yesterday you wouldn't be so confident of his future. There is no excuse for laziness when you are trying to prove yourself. His skills are there but they are not enough to make a complete footballer in the elite level. You have to do the hard work on the field as well. Shuster doesn't seem to have grasped that. Sadly I believe has has believed his reputation before it has been earned.

fair enough. There’s a chance that could happen. Personally, I’m happy to take that chance because I think we’d fine without him, even if he did get it together. We don’t really need his attack. There’s plenty already available in the creative sphere. We’ve got weapons everywhere. I also think his ceiling has been exaggerated. Sure, he can do some good things with the ball but he is sluggish and there are so many aspects of his game that need work, I’ll be shocked if he ever becomes the complete package.

Anyway, it’s good discussion and appreciate your views 👍

The tigers forum posts about Brooks are still entertaining. Some of the cope they are posting (e.g. "DCE managed the game and Brooks went missing") is a fun read.

When Seib's sat down with Schuster about his contract, it was to extend his time here but at less money. Was reported that bringing it down to the 600k mark would take the presure of Schuster. Does anybody else see this report and does anybody really know for sure what the Schu is on.
Whatever he is on, it could of been better spent elsewhere. Happy to eat my words but blind Freddy could of seen this coming.

Not a good comparison anymore. Brooks is a half whilst Schuster is a big body who will be playing in the forwards. Schuster will be playing with more weight and his fitness levels will be key. I hope he gets there.

Not a good comparison anymore. Brooks is a half whilst Schuster is a big body who will be playing in the forwards. Schuster will be playing with more weight and his fitness levels will be key. I hope he gets there.
I think the comparison relates more to the past decision by the club to go a new direction with the 6 jumper, after moving on Foran and handing to Josh at the beginning of 2023, I.e. was the correct decision made.

I think the comparison relates more to the past decision by the club to go a new direction with the 6 jumper, after moving on Foran and handing to Josh at the beginning of 2023, I.e. was the correct decision made.
All the more reason to be glad that Scott Fulton is gone and Tartak is losing his influence around the place.

If Schuster doesn't get himself right by year's end we should cut him loose.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8