Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important difference between those with fundamental christian beliefs and the LGBTIQ community... one group has a presence and acceptance within league. That group feels safe enough to take a knee in prayer circles at the end of games, to acknowledge their god after scoring a try, to express their appreciation to god verbally during interviews... and it is accepted by all. Players do not walk off the field or boycott games because of this. Nor do we need a promotional round or jersey to promote it. It is fully accepted.

The other group has no visibility, no presence. There is no safe space of acceptance within league for them. That is well supported by the fact that only one gay man has come out in our league history. It's also supported by the $hitstorm that has been kicked up by this jersey as opposed to any other minority cause or alcohol/gambling that has been promoted in recent past.

Yes, freedom of speech goes both ways. However, what most people, whom bandy about that slogan, leave out is that with freedom of speech comes responsibility and consequences. Say what you want but at the end of the day we have to work out how to live in community as fellow humans. Therefore, there will always be compromises. The question is, given the diametrically opposed views in this current debate, which side do you choose to live by?

I bought the jersey and will get keep the membership. I would have handed it back had the club folded and changed the jersey.
I wonder what the attitude of some of the furious on here would have been if seven pacifist anti-war players had refused to wear the Anzac jersey and chose to sit on the sidelines instead.
I am hoping they release more... Best design yet

1658786176671.png

The NRL fans have spoken. They want pride jerseys.

As the Manly Sea Eagles pride jersey player revolt saga dragged on into Monday night, fans of the game reacted swiftly.

The jerseys quickly became a hot topic of conversation, and it wasn’t long before they became an even hotter commodity for fans.

It's clear that if the club went to the players first the jersey would never have seen the light of day. And that's also not an appropriate outcome.

I'd also argue that if we want to take this position it shouldn't be one round of the year with one jersey. It needs to be backed up in the club's actions and words moving forward.

So if those players don't play for ALL members of the Manly community, let alone all Manly fans I'd be quite happy to see them sit out the year and find new clubs when it suits them.

This is more important than a football game or season. This kind of message and support saves lives.

I'll be cheering those 17 on the field Thursday night a lot louder than ever before.

This is a nightmare our season is on the line. Half the team has mutinied and management want to run for parliament. Never seen anything like it.

I bought the jersey and will get keep the membership. I would have handed it back had the club folded and changed the jersey.
I wonder what the attitude of some of the furious on here would have been if seven pacifist anti-war players had refused to wear the Anzac jersey and chose to sit on the sidelines instead.
My daughters both want me to buy them this jersey. I think I will also buy the jersey as well.
Go Manly.

Some thoughts:
Again, posting as a lesbian who was so thrilled with the announcement this morning that I immediately bought a jersey. I hadn't planned on going to the game on Thursday but if it arrives, I will attend, wearing it proudly.
As someone who sat on the hill with a homophobic mother for decades, a mother who kicked me out of the house when I told her, I was as thrilled about this jersey as I was to have Ian Roberts wear our colours all those years ago.
Incidentally, after decades my mother did decide that loving me was more important than siding with the hatred of others.

Parents who did not come around though were those of the gay Polynesian twins who needed a whole group of us in our early twenties to go around to their parents house to get all their possessions from the front lawn where they had been thrown out. Those parents never spoke to their twins again. So, from my perspective, there's a long history of Polynesian gay hate.

I wondered then if the ferocity of their beliefs was so strong because the Islands were such a target of the Vatican's missionaries. I'd imagined it was fairly extreme preaching, full of fear. That is conjecture on my part.

I also wonder now if this decision by the seven players is less their own and more that of their preachers.

I question though, these players commitment to the club over their church. Clearly the church wins and I don't know how, as a club, you deal with that.

If I ran a club with half the playing group with very serious religious beliefs, I would have worried about having gambling and alcohol sponsors because we know that both lead to suicides and domestic violence and religious people are supposed to care about people, especially the downtrodden. Once I'd gotten that vice stuff past them, I would have thought the inclusivity jersey would have been a doddle. So yes, I would have made the same mistake.

I don't entirely buy the players not being aware of it because Foz, Reubs, and Keppie did a photo shoot with the jerseys. Do the players not talk? And I know people are blowing up at the club over lack of consultation but I'd imagine they didn't consult on any of the other special jerseys and honestly didn't imagine in 2022 yada yada yada

I'm also a bit sad but not surprised that Des supports the players over the club. I know he's religious and likes to keep his players on side but I will never get over the feeling that he still somehow resents the club and is here for his coaching career and nothing else. Listen to his language in press conferences and interviews. You will hear it. And maybe he thought we couldn't win this week anyway so stick it to the club and keep the players where he needs them.
Good thing we don't have a gay player, eh?

Lastly, love ya guts Manly!!!
Great post Budgie. After all this blew up yesterday I googled that 10% of males are gay. So that would have at least 3 of our top 30 gay. This may not be the case however how would these potentially gay players feel with their team mates stance. The club in trying to do the right thing have seriously ****ed up in the delivery. Extremely amateurish.

The initiative that Manly showed is great. What you have to question is the process behind this call and consultation with the NRL over this matter.

To assume that this would be OK in the NRL demonstrates an ignorance that people high up have. I mentioned in an earlier post that the AFL has a game every year between the Swans and St Kilda and the teams wear a pride jersey. It makes sense in that the localities of these clubs is where there is a large portion of the LGBTQIA people residing there. The AFL teams mostly have players who are from Caucasian or Indigenous backgrounds and there is barely a Pacific Island presence.

No matter what club you look at in the NRL, there is a high proportion of Polynesian players and they have a culture where religion is very important and influential.

I think it is inexplicable and very unfair that the players learned of this decision via media outlets without any consultation from the club.

I feel for the young Pacific Islander kids who are gay and are having to deal with their sexuality in an environment where homosexuality is frowned upon. These kids need to be looked after I believe.

I see that some of the 7 players have backed down and that the debate is going to make it hard for the rest of the 7 who do not want to play.

I am in the US at the moment and its a matter of time before this becomes news here. It is sad that a great initiative has been ruined by a crap process.

The fact that the replica jersey is selling like hotcakes tells you that this is a marketing strategy.

It is so disappointing that this has become a **** fight and not about the positives that this initiative should have brought.

Ian Roberts got it right when he said that you need to consider the young kids on the northern beaches who love the game, love Manly, and are now dealing with feeling excluded. He said it is uncomfortable for him and for me it brings back some bad memories of my time as a kid growing up on the beaches.

I think the NRL need to get out there today and take ownership of this as there is a lot at stake.

I think this will actually galvanize the team. Dessie loves a siege mentality and I think the players might really bind together.

It truly should have been a positive story, now its a farce.

All I care about is 17 guys giving their all for the team I love regardless of whom they are!

We are all proud Manly Sea Eagle supporters after all!!

Find it very confusing really. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, support causes that mean something to each individual. So why haven't players refused to wear jumpers with other logos such as betting companies, alcohol distributers, what about that team that was sponsored by the local brothel. Why do they play along side team mates accused of domestic violence, other crimes. If they have their beliefs I don't get why they have just stood out sexuality, why not be consistent?

I just wished that the players involved had concentrated on improving their own abilities on the field than off the field. Some of them needed to.

Why are religious nutters so concerned about where other random people stick their dick......but can use Gods salvation to paper over the rampant kiddie fiddling priests in their own ranks?

Religious fanaticism of all persuasions has a lot to answer for.

‘We’re committed to the jersey’: Manly owner won’t change rainbow jumper​

Manly owner Scott Penn has broken his silence on the club’s inclusivity jersey saga, adamant the Sea Eagles won’t walk away from wearing the rainbow-themed jersey and highlighting his desire for the seven players who will boycott wearing it not to be considered “outcasts”.

Just a day after their season descended into chaos with almost half the team telling Manly they won’t play in a crucial clash against the Roosters on Thursday night, Penn said the Sea Eagles wanted to be known as a club where people from all walks of life are welcome.

Manly didn't consult its players before deciding to wear a pride jersey, says Danny Weidler.
Josh Aloiai, Jason Saab, Christian Tuipulotu, Josh Schuster, Haumole Olakau’atu, Tolu Koula and Toafofoa Sipley told Manly officials in emergency talks on Monday night they were opposed to wearing the jersey on religious and cultural beliefs.

None will play at 4 Pines Park against the Roosters, who are currently only ahead of Manly in eighth place - the last finals spot - on points differential.

The players claim they weren’t consulted about wearing the jumper, which was modelled by teammates Kieran Foran, Reuben Garrick and Sean Keppie before its official launch on Monday.
But Penn, who is also chairman of the club, said Manly remained committed to wearing the jersey, which features rainbow trimming on the collar and sleeves as well as across the usual place for white trimming on the front of jumper.

“It was totally an inclusivity and diversity jersey,” Penn told the Herald from New York. “It was never just about pride. It was about saying we want everyone in the game and making them feel they can get involved. Players have been put in a tough position.
“We’re not going to force them to play, but we’re committed to the jersey and we’re committed to inclusion. We’re not walking away from our position. And we respect their beliefs.

“It’s just disappointing we’re here. We don’t want those players to be outcasts, but as a club we celebrate and support everyone. We have only done this from a good-hearted point of view.”
ARLC chairman Peter V’landys backed Penn’s inclusive stance but admitted mistakes were made in the handling of the situation.
Sean Keppie, Kieran Foran and Reuben Garrick model the rainbow jersey.

“It should have been done collaboratively,” he told 2GB. “I’m the first person that doesn’t want sport to be politicised because we go to sport to escape the day-to-day problems. So we don’t want to have politics involved. But this isn’t politics, recognising and respecting fellow human beings and being inclusive, I do not believe is political.
“We respect everyone. It doesn’t matter what your sexual orientation is, what your belief in marriage is, what your race is, what your colour is, we respect you as a human being. The game’s policy has been that for many years, and it won’t change.”

Coach Des Hasler has told the players he respects their decision, and will join Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans addressing the media on Tuesday.

The NRL told the club it wouldn’t allow players to wear different versions of the Sea Eagles jersey, meaning the seven objectors needed to pull on the inclusivity jersey or miss the crucial game.
“We own it,” Penn said. “This was to celebrate everyone, that was the whole point of it. We don’t want to put our players in a difficult position, but we’re committed to the team playing in it - and we’re standing strong by that. We’re an inclusive club and continue to be.”
Manly legend Ian Roberts, who came out as gay during his playing days in the 1990s, said the decision by a group of the club’s players “didn’t totally shock him”.

Betting has been suspended on the crucial clash, with bookmakers including the TAB, Sportsbet and Manly sponsors PointsBet all listing Friday’s Warriors-Storm clash as the opening match of the round on Tuesday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8