Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
These guys are employed to do a job. Part of that job requires them to wear a uniform. That's what it is in effect - a uniform.
I have to wear a uniform to work. I don't get a choice over it. Very soon, my uniform is changing. The new uniform is horrible. I have 2 choices - I wear the uniform and deal with it, or I don't and I get sacked/have to resign.
These people aren't living in the real world dealing with real world scenarios. Sometimes you have to do things you don't like as part of your job.
Honestly, for me, all respect is gone for the alleged 7 standing down. I think it is weak and pathetic. Doing this in the name of religion. Lets be honest, priests don't exactly have the best reputations now do they with some of the horrific crimes they have committed (usually crimes against the same sex too).

And, as an aside, this is, to me, one of the best alternate jerseys we've ever come up with. It looks great.

Some thoughts:
Again, posting as a lesbian who was so thrilled with the announcement this morning that I immediately bought a jersey. I hadn't planned on going to the game on Thursday but if it arrives, I will attend, wearing it proudly.
As someone who sat on the hill with a homophobic mother for decades, a mother who kicked me out of the house when I told her, I was as thrilled about this jersey as I was to have Ian Roberts wear our colours all those years ago.
Incidentally, after decades my mother did decide that loving me was more important than siding with the hatred of others.

Parents who did not come around though were those of the gay Polynesian twins who needed a whole group of us in our early twenties to go around to their parents house to get all their possessions from the front lawn where they had been thrown out. Those parents never spoke to their twins again. So, from my perspective, there's a long history of Polynesian gay hate.

I wondered then if the ferocity of their beliefs was so strong because the Islands were such a target of the Vatican's missionaries. I'd imagined it was fairly extreme preaching, full of fear. That is conjecture on my part.

I also wonder now if this decision by the seven players is less their own and more that of their preachers.

I question though, these players commitment to the club over their church. Clearly the church wins and I don't know how, as a club, you deal with that.

If I ran a club with half the playing group with very serious religious beliefs, I would have worried about having gambling and alcohol sponsors because we know that both lead to suicides and domestic violence and religious people are supposed to care about people, especially the downtrodden. Once I'd gotten that vice stuff past them, I would have thought the inclusivity jersey would have been a doddle. So yes, I would have made the same mistake.

I don't entirely buy the players not being aware of it because Foz, Reubs, and Keppie did a photo shoot with the jerseys. Do the players not talk? And I know people are blowing up at the club over lack of consultation but I'd imagine they didn't consult on any of the other special jerseys and honestly didn't imagine in 2022 yada yada yada

I'm also a bit sad but not surprised that Des supports the players over the club. I know he's religious and likes to keep his players on side but I will never get over the feeling that he still somehow resents the club and is here for his coaching career and nothing else. Listen to his language in press conferences and interviews. You will hear it. And maybe he thought we couldn't win this week anyway so stick it to the club and keep the players where he needs them.
Good thing we don't have a gay player, eh?

Lastly, love ya guts Manly!!!

in 5 hours, we have 11 pages of comments both for and against certain decisions that have been made.
In 5 hours we have had people that all support the sea eagles aiming up at each other questioning each other's views and or alignment to belief.
In 5 hours we have many posters that have the moral stance to question these 7 players and their beliefs which in a free world they are allowed to have regardless of if it aligns with western ideals.
In 5 hours the word Nazi has been thrown about.

the takeaway here is how any of us can judge others while we are happy to fight amongst ourselves over the very issues these players have stood down for.

In the end the CLUB is again to blame for this PR disaster. This should have been cleared at multiple levels before it ever went to the media. The owners, the coaching team, the backroom, and the Players should have all been consulted. only if everyone was happy should we announce the move.

I don't agree with their beliefs but in our society, they are entitled to have those beliefs. just as the LGBTQ+ can have theirs.

You know maybe this issue is bigger than winning or losing a football game.
The bravest thing could be to play without the seven. Put bodies on the line regardless. Give some up and coming kids or second tier players a run.
Show that the club believes in something bigger. If it helps any kid feel better about himself/herself for something that’s not a choice I’m all for it.
Interesting times.
There is no other choice but to play without the seven. We are in a situation where the club can't be seen to back down, and neither can the seven. There is unfortunately no room for compromise, as this story will soon start getting international media attention.

Tomorrow we will get a statement from Scott Penn, as his company Digital Wellness, will have to clearly disassociate itself from any perceived homophobia or as lacking in support for the LGBTQIA community. The club will remain in full damage control, and the story will continue to grow until the game is over.

It's really hard for me to imagine that no one in the club saw this coming. We have created an unmanageable 🌈 coloured monster, and it's now extremely unlikely that the club won't suffer serious collateral damage along the way.

If all what Kent says here is true, it's not a very good look for the club

Kent said the club “should be embarrassed” for how they handled the decision which was announced on Monday and saw three players pose for photos in the jersey.

“Major dramas at the club. The players only became aware they were wearing this jersey this morning when they read it in the newspaper,”

“Because of their own cultural and religious beliefs they have an issue with it and it’s to be dealt with and has to be dealt with fairly quickly.

The Manly club did this without any consultation of the players, they did it without board approval, it didn’t get raised at board level. It’s basically a marketing decision and they just assumed that everything was ok.”

If all what Kent says here is true, it's not a very good look for the club

Kent said the club “should be embarrassed” for how they handled the decision which was announced on Monday and saw three players pose for photos in the jersey.

“Major dramas at the club. The players only became aware they were wearing this jersey this morning when they read it in the newspaper,”

“Because of their own cultural and religious beliefs they have an issue with it and it’s to be dealt with and has to be dealt with fairly quickly.

The Manly club did this without any consultation of the players, they did it without board approval, it didn’t get raised at board level. It’s basically a marketing decision and they just assumed that everything was ok.”

yep, some woke idiot in marketing thought it would be a good idea, typical leftist attitude right there

we are a club in 100% shambles

perhaps the fair thing is for the Poly players for the roosters to stand down as well in solidarity with their brothers.
Also if our guys don't want to wear the jersey in the question how can opposition players with the same beliefs want to tackle them.

I think I may have just sorted this whole thing out.

All Polynesian players in the NRL sit out this round. Simples.......

Majority of you a putting blame on the players, how about putting the blame on the club for not handling it properly?
I blame them all... the club should have consulted and managed it better and are f*cking clowns to pull this sh*t now but these blokes are weak as p*ss standing down and refusing to play for a team that has bled along side them all year... they could have made a collective statement but still played yet they chose to disrespect the club, the jersey and every fan that has put the money in their pocket that allows them to make a comfortable protest such as this...
Alcohol is fine, gambling no problem, domestic violence abuse by team-mates- don't blink an eyelid... but a coloured stripe? Too far.... what a crock of bs...

in 5 hours, we have 11 pages of comments both for and against certain decisions that have been made.
In 5 hours we have had people that all support the sea eagles aiming up at each other questioning each other's views and or alignment to belief.
In 5 hours we have many posters that have the moral stance to question these 7 players and their beliefs which in a free world they are allowed to have regardless of if it aligns with western ideals.
In 5 hours the word Nazi has been thrown about.

the takeaway here is how any of us can judge others while we are happy to fight amongst ourselves over the very issues these players have stood down for.

In the end the CLUB is again to blame for this PR disaster. This should have been cleared at multiple levels before it ever went to the media. The owners, the coaching team, the backroom, and the Players should have all been consulted. only if everyone was happy should we announce the move.

I don't agree with their beliefs but in our society, they are entitled to have those beliefs. just as the LGBTQ+ can have theirs.
I am not sure that both sides are “equal”. This is the big dilemma of freedom of speech (or religion) v the consequences of that

Hasler fully supports the Polynesian players. No surprise there.

Let’s hope this is the last time Wolman darkens the halls of Narrabeen (via video link from his Point Piper mansion - oh wait, that’s in Roosters’ territory - the plot thickens!) as interim CEO. Bye, bye Gary. Don’t come back now, ya hear?

Seven Manly players to boycott NRL match over pride jersey​

By Michael Chammas and Adam Pengilly

Updated July 25, 2022 — 8.20pm

Seven Manly players will boycott this Thursday night’s clash against the Roosters after being blindsided by the club’s decision to wear a pride jersey as the Sea Eagles’ season descended into chaos.
Sources with knowledge of discussions told the Herald that Manly coach Des Hasler had told the players he understood the difficult position the players have been put in as a result of the club not consulting them about the jersey, and will support their decision not to play.

The club also understood the backlash it faced from the public if they decided against wearing the jersey after publicly launching it on Monday.

It’s understood Josh Aloiai, Jason Saab, Christian Tuipulotu, Josh Schuster, Haumole Olakau’atu, Tolu Koula and Toafofoa Sipley have withdrawn from the match.

Manly officials were locked in emergency talks on Monday night with the seven players before the important clash with the Sydney Roosters.
On the day the club unveiled their rainbow-themed jersey to celebrate diversity and inclusivity, the Sea Eagles received complaints from the players.

The players did not want to wear the jersey on cultural and religious grounds.

The Herald has been told the Sea Eagles did not consult the playing group about plans to wear the jersey

The club had originally planned to meet with the affected players when they returned to training on Tuesday but instead brought forward the meeting to Monday night as Hasler tried to smooth over a player revolt that threatens to leave his club’s season in tatters.

The Roosters are keeping the Sea Eagles out of the top eight on points differential, with the winner of Thursday’s game to take a giant step towards playing finals football.
Players model the new jersey.

Players model the new jersey.CREDIT:MANLY SEA EAGLES
Kieran Foran, Reuben Garrick and Sean Keppie modelled the jersey, which includes rainbow colours across the front of the jersey alongside the logo of sponsor PointsBet, and trimming on the sleeves and collar.

But the disgruntled players had little idea they would be asked to wear the jersey until it was officially released on Monday morning.

It prompted a flurry of phone calls to club officials, who were made aware of the players who did not want to wear the jersey.

Manly legend Ian Roberts, who publicly came out as gay during his playing days in the 1990s, had been an advocate of the club wearing the one-off jersey, and has urged the NRL to do more to encourage inclusivity in the game.
“I expected there would some sort of religious pushback.”
Ian Roberts
Roberts said he would comment further later in the week, but on Monday night said: “It hasn’t totally shocked me like it’s shocking everyone else. As an older gay man, I’m used to this. I expected there would be some sort of religious pushback.”

The NRL won’t allow the club to have players wearing alternate jerseys meaning Manly would need to come to a resolution on whether all players would wear the pride jersey or not.

The code was preparing to launch its Women In League Round on Tuesday, with a breakfast to be held in Sydney.

Interim Manly chief executive Gary Wolman could not be reached for comment on Monday night. Chairman Scott Penn is currently in the United States. Greyhound Racing NSW boss Tony Mestrov is not due to begin as the Sea Eagles’ new chief executive until next week.

It’s not the first time an athlete has taken exception to wearing an inclusive jersey for a professional sporting team, with Giants AFLW player Haneen Zreika having stood down from a game on religious grounds last season.

Last edited:
Whether you agree with their beliefs or not, it actually takes a fair bit of courage and commitment to go through with their decision if that is indeed what happens. I really can’t see why it would be such a big deal for the 7 guys to run out wearing the jersey with the normal hoops on it which the NRL won’t allow

Whether you agree with their beliefs or not, it actually takes a fair bit of courage and commitment to go through with their decision if that is indeed what happens. I really can’t see why it would be such a big deal for the 7 guys to run out wearing the jersey with the normal hoops on it which the NRL won’t allow
I still hold some hope that this might happen, KE. The NRL needs players for its product and can’t risk the embarrassment of the club backing down. So why not a compromise? They’ll take the “fine people on both sides” position and let them wear jerseys with no rainbows. If the Roosters agree, they’ll consider it problem solved.

So apply your logic to all, even religious pride.

Pride is over-rated and i never once stated i was proud, i am opinionated and state my views that is all.

None of my "howlers" match the level of your last reply, you appear to be more in love with advertising your well rounded vocabulary and education levels in an opportunistic manner.
I think I know what you are trying to say but I can also understand why a group faced by oppressive adversity would want to channel pride to overcome adversity and be true to themselves in the process.
There is no other choice but to play without the seven. We are in a situation where the club can't be seen to back down, and neither can the seven. There is unfortunately no room for compromise, as this story will soon start getting international media attention.

Tomorrow we will get a statement from Scott Penn, as his company Digital Wellness, will have to clearly disassociate itself from any perceived homophobia or as lacking in support for the LGBTQIA community. The club will remain in full damage control, and the story will continue to grow until the game is over.

It's really hard for me to imagine that no one in the club saw this coming. We have created an unmanageable 🌈 coloured monster, and it's now extremely unlikely that the club won't suffer serious collateral damage along the way.
yep I call it the Pride Gate scandal. This will unfortunately stick with club as infamy for quite sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8