1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petero Civoniciva

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Guest, Jun 3, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    +0 / 0
    reported on MSE that there is a rumour about us signing Petero for the next couple of years.

    I cannot see it happening but he would certainly be better Rose , King, Bryant and Hall.

    eastwood is off contract and he is the one we should target. A big fast backrower.
  2. Crushercleal

    Crushercleal Active Member

    +3 / 0
    If we have signed Perry, then I cannot see it happening.
  3. Garts

    Garts Well-Known Member

    +667 / 18
    As if it will happen, load of crap imo.
  4. Jatz Crackers

    Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

    +1,239 / 7
    This is so unlikely im waiting for someone to offer to run down the Corso naked at 11-00pm on a sat night !!!!!
  5. Pepi

    Pepi Well-Known Member

    +316 / 17
    What about that goose that said he wouldn't take Petero for free.
    He would be good till he's 35 judging by his last few years.
  6. Duff

    Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

    +531 / 8
    That would be great but I really can't imagine it happening. We'd definately have the benchmark forward pack then.
    In true ST style, what options would people take ?

    I'd start the old bloke on the bench, he'd have great impact after twenty & I think the two blokes in their prime should still be the ones to take most of the heat.

    I guess I'll be the first to not resist temptation by suggesting that Petro Secondreceiver should play 5/8.
  7. Fluffy

    Fluffy Well-Known Member

    +3,470 / 128
    it was posted by our good mate too
  8. Disco

    Disco Well-Known Member

    +1,185 / 36
    hahahaha i wish
  9. Spuds Bodyguard

    Spuds Bodyguard Active Member

    Taree, New South Wales
    +88 / 0
    I wouldn't mind betting that we have been sniffing around Eastwood and in classic chineese whispers that has somehow turned out that we were going to sign an international from brisbane and before you know it Petro is suposedly done and dusted in Maroon & White next year
    I wont bother holding my breath waiting
  10. The Wheel

    The Wheel Well-Known Member

    +1,722 / 71
    I thought he had already re sigined with the Broncos a few weeks back - no chance IMO
  11. gomanly

    gomanly Member

    +0 / 0
    just read this on MSE, in the latest coup in NRL history manly have managed to clone the dna of webcke, John O'Neill, mark carroll and trevor gilmeister and turn it into one super prop which we have also been able to sign for the next two years. sounds like we dont need petero!
  12. fLIP

    fLIP UFO Hunter

    +784 / 15
    Nothing like a good rumor. Perhaps I could help stir the pot a little:

    BRISBANE hit a hurdle in its attempt to re-sign Petero Civoniceva after contract talks stalled and at least two other clubs showed interest in the Queensland forward.

    Brisbane has been in negotiations with Civoniceva for some time but, contrary to reports which suggested his management was working closely with the club, Brisbane has not heard from his camp since before the first State of Origin game two weeks ago.

    Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen, clearly frustrated with the inactivity, said he expected to reopen talks this week as the club looked to shore up its remaining off-contract players.

    They include Civoniceva, Justin Hodges and Shaun Berrigan, with Hodges expected to re-sign and Berrigan likely to accept a lucrative offer from England.

    "We will have further talks with his management this week and it looks like we may have a battle on our hands to retain him," Cullen said.

    "I spoke to (his management) the Tuesday before Origin I. They said they would talk to Petero after Origin and I haven't heard from them since."

    Brisbane has been among the most active clubs in the player market over the past week, securing Penrith pair Peter Wallace and Joel Clinton for next season.
  13. willstyles

    willstyles Active Member

    +4 / 0
    What an absurd rumour.

    Please be true.
  14. Chip and Chase

    Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

    +6,262 / 44
    Broncos to lose Civoniceva
    By Stuart Honeysett

    June 16, 2007 AFTER a career spanning 10 years and three premierships, Petero Civoniceva will part company with Brisbane at the end of the season.

    Several NRL clubs confirmed yesterday that Civoniceva was being shopped around on the basis he had rejected the Broncos' final offer and it was no longer on the table.

    "You can take it as gospel he's gone," an unnamed club chief executive said.

    There had been genuine concerns the Test prop would leave the Broncos given the two parties had been negotiating for several months.

    Things changed for Brisbane when the club failed to hear from his management for several weeks in the lead-up to State of Origin I last month.

    His management was then given permission to hold talks elsewhere and the Bulldogs, the Sharks and Canberra were offered his services.

    The stumbling block in negotiations has been the amount and duration of the contract. Civoniceva was chasing a three-year deal worth $400,000 or more per season.

    Given Civoniceva is 31 and in the twilight of his career, it is believed Brisbane could not come close to that amount under the salary cap.

    Compounding the Broncos' problem are that they are close to signing Justin Hodges, have already snared Penrith duo Joel Clinton and Peter Wallace and retained several of their younger players.

    Civoniceva, who was part of the Queensland team that wrapped up the State of Origin series in Sydney on Wednesday night, played against the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium last night.

    Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen declined to discuss Civoniceva's case in detail yesterday, other than to say it would be a sad day for the club if he moved on.

    "If Petero goes then obviously we're very disappointed because he's given us great service over a long period of time," Cullen said.

    "But like with the other fellows that are leaving, these are all salary-cap issues and this is what the salary cap does to a successful side.

    "If we were able to spend the money on Petero to keep him we'd gladly do so but we can't.

    "We obviously wish him all the best and hope he finishes on a high note with us this season and finds the contract he's looking for to finish his career off. He's been a wonderful servant."

    Civoniceva made his debut for the Broncos against North Sydney in 1998.

    He went on to play in his first premiership-winning team that season and tasted grand final success again last year (he missed the 2000 grand final).

    He was such a dominant force on the way to last year's title that he received the Paul Morgan medal as the club's best player.

    While the loyalty debate is likely to be sparked if Civoniceva leaves, the Broncos' hands are tied given they are negotiating with Hodges and close to signing a three- or four-year deal.

    The club has already retained Test prop Sam Thaiday, Dave Taylor, Joel Moon, Darius Boyd, Steve Michaels and Denan Kemp.

    Civoniceva isn't the only senior Bronco moving on next year. Utility Shaun Berrigan has confirmed he will accept a four-year offer to play with English Super League club Hull.

    Prop Dane Carlaw is also expected to leave, most likely to the Gold Coast, veteran forward Brad Thorn is expected to retire, while Queensland wing Brent Tate has signed a rich three-year deal with the Warriors.

    It remains to be seen if Civoniceva will remain in the NRL, given there appears to be few clubs prepared to gamble on his asking price.

    That would limit his options to England, with Wigan a possibility as it looks like missing out on St George-Illawarra prop Jason Ryles.

    Meanwhile, Bulldogs halfback Ben Roberts capped a mixed week when he signed an extension which will keep him at Belmore until the end of 2009.

    The Dogs confirmed Roberts had agreed to a new two-year deal only hours before he played in premier league last night.

    Roberts was dropped from first grade after he and former Test centre Willie Tonga broke a team curfew following last weekend's win over the Warriors.

    Wests Tigers have re-signed two of their most promising young players.

    Forward Bronson Harrison has inked a two-year deal which will keep him at the club until the end of 2009 and fullback Shannon McDonnell has signed a three-year contract which ties him to the Tigers until the end of 2010.

    The Bulldogs have been linked with Sharks hooker Michael Sullivan, who is playing in England with Warrington.
  15. Stiffi

    Stiffi Active Member 2016 Tipping Competitor 2015 Tipping Competitor

    It is that unlikely I am willing to do an Ultra Marathon from Brisbane to Sydney!!
  16. Canteen Worker

    Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

    +212 / 5
    I reckon someone heard Des say that he was buying some petrol and got overexcited!!! :lol:
  17. Nutzcraw

    Nutzcraw Active Member

    +4 / 0
    As in C & C's post.... The broncos are resigned to the fact Petero is out of there.

    Petero to Manly... hmmmm not as absurbed as one may think.
  18. Jatz Crackers

    Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

    +1,239 / 7
    It is that unlikely I am willing to do an Ultra Marathon from Brisbane to Sydney!!


    Naked ? :p
  19. Nutzcraw

    Nutzcraw Active Member

    +4 / 0
    Leave your fantasies at home please Jatz!
  20. Berkeley_Eagle

    Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

    +2,097 / 13
    Zorba on 2ky Talking about Petro said that at $400k a season that he would be worth the money

Share This Page