1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peter Peters in SMH article about Des

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Kevinward777, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Kevinward777

Kevinward777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,240 / 31
    Major blow ... Ben Barba is sidelined. Photo: Getty Images

Under Hasler, the Sea Eagles overcame the fallout from star fullback Brett Stewart being charged with sexual assault - for which he was later exonerated - and suspended by the NRL for bringing the game into disrepute at the start of the 2009 season.

Advertisement

While Hasler has been praised for putting Barba's welfare ahead of the team's success, Fairfax Media has been told that he will use the absence of last year's player of the year as added motivation for the Bulldogs.

''I have known Des Hasler for a long time and I have worked with him in crisis situations before, and I know exactly what he will do,'' former long-serving Manly official Peter Peters said.

''He is a very caring, very professional mentor. He is not just a great rugby league coach, he has outstanding people skills and he will put Benny and his problems ahead of the football. But he uses crisis situations to bond teams, and he will use this to his advantage. There is a very strong bond around any team he coaches.''

Former Canberra back Drury Low has been training at fullback and deputised for Barba in the Bulldogs preseason trials but Fairfax Media has been told Hasler is considering switching NSW Origin centre Josh Morris to fullback.

However, Hasler will not confirm his intention as he wants to keep the Cowboys guessing. ''Whoever plays fullback is likely to be targeted, so Des wants to protect the guy from that,'' a Canterbury source said.

The Bulldogs began building a siege mentality at the club's season launch on Tuesday night when the team was summoned to a private room with Canterbury directors and told they should still aim to better last year's grand final loss.

Canterbury chief executive Todd Greenberg told the function the events of this week were a reminder of the need for everyone at the club to stick together.

Bulldogs football manager Alan Thompson said the expectations of the team had not changed.

''Des and Todd have shown me some great leadership in looking after the team, the club and young Ben and I think the leadership of those blokes will hold us all in good stead,'' Thompson said. ''We work on the depth of our team and I am sure everyone who steps up and has the opportunity to play will equip themselves very well.''

Peters said he believed Hasler would have prepared the players for the possibility of Barba being sidelined for an extended period.

''Ben Barba couldn't be in better hands and I think the Bulldogs should be congratulated for the way they've handled it,'' Peters said. ''Des will keep him out for as long as Ben needs to recover and whoever takes his place will do well and fit into the system.''

Ads by Google

Certificate 4 in Training

www.inspireeducation.net.au/TAA

Certificate 4 in Training & Assessment. Start right away!

NZ Warriors NRL Jerseys

www.fangear.com/

Official Online Australia/NZ Sports Megastore, Members

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/hasler-the-man-for-a-crisis-as-dogs-bunker-down-20130227-2f6do.html#ixzz2M6kNz4nZ

Why is this bloke singing the praises of Des Hasler, Todd Greenberg and the Bulldogs club in general. He even say's Barba couldn't be in better hands. What does that say about Tooves? Enough is enough this disease to the Manly Club needs to be shown the door. For Good! An irrelevent destabilising offensive parasite. Wake up Des slagged you off you as a joke. You are an embaressment~!

2. Peter C

Peter C Well-Known Member

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +741 / 16
    Care factor zero

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,526 / 32
    Under the radar again? I'd prefer he'd drop right off the radar. If Peters wants to be Dessies spin doctor he's at the wrong club.

• Like Like x 3
  4. the mauler

the mauler Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,653 / 25
    Good to see Zorbas still got the kneepads on. Sickening stuff really...

5. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    God you lot are over sensitive (and have been conditioned to hate everything Peters says)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,526 / 32
    Is that you Pete?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bearfax

Bearfax Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,659 / 75
    No matter if you love him or hate him, Dessie is a damned good coach. His success at Manly testifies to that

8. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,737 / 257
    Would you expect any different, from him AND us???

9. lsz

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    I clearly expect too much mark

• Like Like x 2
  10. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,904 / 27
    If you clearly expect to much, perhaps it's time to look at your own perspectives.:s

11. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    Just because you think he's a good sort, doesn't mean we all do.

12. RL Gronk

RL Gronk New Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0
    +1

13. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Why open up the topic then ? Lol
    [hr]
    Quite true, if lsz is looking for common sense and clear perspectives he has certainly come to the wrong place !!

14. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    Bulldogs football manager Alan Thompson - I gather thats the former Australian swimming coach and not our old coach and Manly legend.

15. ek999

ek999 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yes, former swimming coach

16. RL Gronk

RL Gronk New Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0
    Was this your theme song at school, champ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Q5JFHrGNk&sns=em

17. Townsville Eagle

Townsville Eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0
    Seriously, who reads a Peter Peters column, the guy hasn't got a clue.

18. lsz

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    I never want to hear a bad word against Mark "jacko" Jackson cambo!

19. RL Gronk

RL Gronk New Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0
    Why are you calling me cambo? That's creepy

20. lsz

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    Sorry Cameron